Sebastian Vettel | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Sebastian Vettel

Discussion in 'F1' started by Robb, Oct 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

More from Eddie Irvine here on the BBC and it contains the Autosport data above. He provides his overall opinion on more than just Vettel -- to include the sport, LH and MS vs Senna etc -

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46927041

375+ likes this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Eddie makes a lot of sense, I agree with this:

It's evident Irvine still cares about the sport, just not in its current guise and he craves a return to the Formula 1's roots.

"I don't watch it anymore because it bores me," he admitted. "I watch the cars go around the circuit and I think this is incredibly boring because it is so flat.

"It's quite synthetic and it's not raw. It's too perfect and when you make a mistake you don't pay a price. I think the least you should do if you make a mistake is lose a lot of time.

"In the 1950s you got killed if you make a mistake, the 60s you could get killed, the 70s you hurt yourself most of the time and the 80s you hurt yourself some of the time.

"It's just got safer and safer. Which is a good thing but it's gone too far. It's just progress, progress, progress until it's like 'what have we ended up with here?'. And I think we have ended up with something a bit mushy and not that interesting."

New owner 'won't take risks'
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Irvine says that Formula One lacks the excitement of the late 1990s and has ended up "a bit mushy and not that interesting"
    "I think manufacturers should not be allowed in Formula 1. I think they should be allowed in as engine suppliers and that's it," Irvine added.

"When manufacturers come in they spend a load of money and they either do well, or they don't. If they do well, they pull out because they have nothing left to prove. If they do really badly, they pull out because they are embarrassed.

"Ferrari has so much power and it sucks a lot of energy from the surrounding teams. I think Mercedes have too much financial might, causing the same problem.

"It's an evil necessity. It was great for me because they paid us a lot more money because of the pure torque of the manufacturers financially, but I think it lessens the sport a little bit.

"It's quite an in-depth thing and I think it probably needs to fall way back in financial terms before they can rebuild it and make it what it was, which was more gladiatorial and raw.

"There are many things that need to change, and each thing that you change would have a knock on effect. But the new owner has paid a lot of money for it so I don't think the are going to take the risks to do it."

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

william likes this.
  3. Paul Rowan

Paul Rowan Rookie

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Paul Rowan
    Vettel is a cancer for Ferrari - the sooner he leaves the better - hey Vettel

william and catdog like this.
  4. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Cancer is too strong and poor choice for those affected by it..

More like gooey sticky slime that just prevents you from shining consistently... kinda like a runny nose and cold that you can't get rid off...

Maybe like a hemorrhoid that comes back when you thought you got rid of it 2 weeks ago (or whenever the last race happens to be)... He's smug underperformer.

Also as much as I love Charles, he needs to pipe down the communications and team order stuff and put his head down and race and minimize chatter, let his driving do the talking and mature quickly to understand things are not always what they seem to be and no one is going to hand him anything on a silver platter...

5. Cenzoooo

Cenzoooo Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    Queens, NY
    Full Name:
    Vincent L
    Did Seb overdrive his car in the opening stint, causing the hybrid system to fail? Was he trying to hard to pull away from young Shawll and ended up burning out his MGUK? Perhaps it was the frequent and consistent complaining by Shawll that caused Binotto to push the secret self destruct button behind the pit wall. Seb also has his own self destruct button onboard, which he tends to deploy himself quite often. . .
    Either way, Seb was right about one thing:

Robb likes this.
  6. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    The next year if Ferrari wants to fight the championship must have clearly defined the first driver and that clearly is Leclerc.
    Therefore Ferrari must let Vettel go to another team or put him in Alfa Romeo with Kimi and move up Antonio Giovinazzi to Ferrari, he would be a great second driver in Bottas style

7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I thought Vettel looked fighty and quick today. What's with the team order BS, saying he had to let Leclerc pass because of the tow? Anyone starting 3rd would have gotten the same tow, so it wasn't like Leclerc gave him anything special out of team orders. As Vettel was pulling away, team orders were coming through to let Leclerc pass - and Hamilton was closing in on Leclerc meaning that if Vettel dropped into that gap then he'd have had to fight to retain 2nd.

Vettel did the right thing. Those team orders were not sensible. Aside from electronics failing, it was a good drive today.

All the best,
    Andrew.

JLF, VPX, RobertJRB and 6 others like this.
  8. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think the order was meant to appease Charles for having to take 2nd last week due to the undercut decision.
    Binotto is stuck going back and forth between both these drivers saying every week “you owe me one”.
    It’s a clusterfudge of personalities.
    These 2 drivers are not compatible as a team, and Seb has to go...or stop screwing up to prove he’s the horse to bet on. But every time he goes rogue, bad things happen...usually to him. While still highly skilled, he is unable to think strategically.

daytona355, william and ATBNM3 like this.
  9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Thank you for the sensible post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLF, F2003-GA and stavura like this.
  10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    People keep saying that Vettel was quick, and had bad luck.
    But what if those things were related?

Engine failures are pretty rare, in today's F1. Even MGU failures have become rare, by now.
    I have to wonder if the failure ("bad luck") was the result of running the engine at too high a setting, to make Seb's car quicker.
    How many settings can be controlled from the steering wheel?
    I'd think that would be readable from the telemetry, but didn't F1 pass rules about how much the team can tell the driver about settings?

ATBNM3 and F430 F1 Singapore like this.
  11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    @ypsilon will call you a "conspiracy theorist who works for fox".

kes7u likes this.
  12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    The Ferrari team orders were decided before the start of the race. Vettel chose to disregard those orders on at least 2-3 different occasions. Whether you agree with the rationale/validity behind those orders is a different matter entirely. Vettel is a poor team player and his MGU failure is just karma for his actions.

Vettel declining to address those orders and provide his side of the story during the post-race interviews is as good as admission of guilt IMO.

daytona355, william, tifosi12 and 2 others like this.
  13. DF1

+1 - an easy assumption to make given how he avoided the issue in public. I dont think Charles has a bad memory of discussions prior to the race on the intent of Ferrari strategy.

daytona355 and Surfah like this.
  14. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Kid Index has a long history of selfishness. Anybody remember Multi 21? Team orders--reasonable or not--are part of the sport. And remember, it is a team sport. By charting his own ego, he hurt the team.

He is a cancer, and his presence at Ferrari sure has not produced results.

I'm ready for the team to move on.

william, Surfah and DF1 like this.
  15. DF1

He was quoted after Singapore 'no driver is bigger than Ferrari'

Oh....the.....irony

daytona355 likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I think that we have seen everything that Seb can do. As others have pointed out he excels when leading the pack in clean air, other times not so much. Charles is just mature beyond his years, I don't really care whether he whines on the radio or not. He delivers on track. If I had to chose one I would go with Charles. It is his second season in F1, his first in a front line(almost) team and he is outperforming his 4 time WDC teammate. Charles represents the future for Ferrari.

daytona355, Surfah, DF1 and 3 others like this.
  17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    You guys act like you’ve never heard a driver whine before.
    It’s as engrained in the sport as diving in soccer or trash talking in basketball.

william, Nuvolari and DF1 like this.
  18. DF1

They ALL whine!! +1

ricksb and william like this.
  19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4

...Kimi

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    There was one race recently where Leclerc reportedly did not transmit any radio at all,zilch,zero...don't recall which one

daytona355 likes this.
  21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Got feeling that Vettel will be forced into early retirement next year and Hulkenberg or Perez my get the seat as proper number TWO's

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Ferrari would have to buy out his contract, you could probably acquire Williams for that amount.

daytona355 likes this.
  23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While I'd love to see Vettel being retired, Perez would be a poor choice as #2: He is currently doing a lousy job at being #2 by being #1. :D

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Why would that be a problem for Ferrari to accomplish ? Don't get me wrong Vettel is a great driver but they won't win next years WDC if there's infighting IMO

25. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Yup, iirc he ran teammate Ocon off the road last year.