Ferrari 360 Spider - Convertible top stuck open | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Spider - Convertible top stuck open

Discussion in '360/430' started by Stuttgart911, Sep 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    I know there have been a ton of threads on this but I wanted to more so listen to the pump and see the action that is happening when toggling the switch to open and close. It got to this point and then just stopped. Not sure if this is how the pump should sound or not.

So I just got back my rebuilt hydraulic and installed it. It was the front latch one, which is now working and not dumping fluid everywhere but it got to this point and is now stuck. The last time I ran the roof was a week ago and it opened completely including the back hatch, but fluid was dumping out of that hydraulic so I re-closed and sent out. Before trying again I added more hydraulic fluid to bring the reservoir up to the middle line (is there any bleeding of this system that needs to be done).

Here is what I have done:
    -Turn power off for 30 seconds and back on
    -Started car and tried
    -Tried with just accessory on

Videos:

2. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
  3. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have a F430 and the owners manual details the manual process of opening/closing the top. I don't know if the 360 is the same but they are similar. Do you have the owners manual? Or look up the procedure online? That's a short term fix.

Red 27 likes this.
  4. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    The car is in garage so not going to go through the craziness of doing it manually. Just trying to get this fixed and don’t know where to start or if the pump sounds wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    I’m thinking it is just the back boot that is not opening. Any ideas how to get that or help it start its process

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    Hard to see, but it looks like your front latches are not going down after unlatching. The top won't go any further because with the front latches raised it will tear into the fabric if the top folds into the cassette. If it was working before...…….

7. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    The latches go up and then down. They don’t just stay up. That is me just cycling from the going up and then down. I guess it is slightly concerning though because why are they going up and down when in that position. They should only be doing that when they get to the front window trim to lock it in place. Will check my install again. Any other comments appreciated

8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The pump appears to be pumping air bubbles (based on how noisy it is)
    I would keep checking the level and try to purge the air out.
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

Also cycle it with the engine running as per the OM.
    Pump needs proper voltage

9. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Yes I was wondering how to get the air out or if it was self bleeding. Does anyone know that?

10. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    Always operate the top with the engine running. Do not run the pump too much as it overheats easily and you will destroy the pump. The top operates with it's own computer. The computer monitors different sets of microswitches thru it's opening and closing sequence. When one set of switches send the signal that one operation is complete, the computer than begins the next operation and when the next set of microswitches say that operation is complete (say the rear top cassette flap is open) the next sequence happens. To bleed the system you need to run the top up and down a few times.

11. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Ok so I got the top to start moving and got to the below point but it seems it is hitting a bar located somewhere in the top. Towards the middle of the bar it is clear the tray part but on each end it is hitting. Is there an adjustment for this? Doesn't seem like you can just push to get it in and then even if you did it would have a hard time getting out.

Let me know your thoughts.

Here is video:

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Chris, as mentioned earlier you have to operate the roof a few times and let it cool down.
    Re-check the fluid level above the bulls eye.

Operate the roof half way open like this (top at about 90 degrees.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Then from inside the car (under the roof feel for this bar and move it towards the back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Now operate the roof to fully open.

If that works then some of your elastic bands are too loosy goosey

Purch23 likes this.
  13. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    Thank you Fred. I will try this!

14. Stuttgart911

Stuttgart911 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Stuttgart911
    It worked!!! Thank you All!!!

Only issue now is the top looks to be fully open or closed but the light on the tack still says it is open. Any thoughts on this one...

Thank you again!

Purch23 likes this.
  15. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Yeah, the manual procedures are in my 360 manual, but they sure aren't easy to follow. It's kinda like instructions for the darn radio. Oh, well.

obertRo likes this.
  16. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Check the front center locking cylinder to make sure the closed position switch is tripped. The toolkit has a handle for this or I've used a screwdriver in the square hole. Give it a bit more twist in the locking direction and see if the alarm is gone. This is the last step in the closing process.

Also check that the fiberglass cover is fully closed. Open the engine compartment and the cylinders are visible. The owners manual explains how to open/close the cover. It just takes a screwdriver and a bit of leverage. But if the top is latching, then the cover should be closed already.

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You noted that the bar in the top was hitting. Have you had the elastics replaced? If not, that could be interfering as well and it can be expensive if it catches wrong. There are a bunch of threads on that subject here.

I think I have the WSM for a Spyder. Let me look when I get home and see if I have a process to bleed the system.

tboniello likes this.
  18. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    Anyone have a recommendation for elastics repair on the spider in Southern California?

19. Zee gla

Zee gla Rookie

Mar 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Svetozar Gladic
    Hi, my Ferrari 360 was making the same pump noise and now nothing moves when I try to close the roof. Do I need a new pump? How to replace it. Please help

20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    any decent top upholstery shop can replace the elastic straps

21. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Strongly recommend Euro Trim in San Diego. It's the shop Ferrari of San Diego uses. I went direct to them and they did a great job at a fair price.

22. mrjoey

mrjoey Rookie

Mar 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joseph J Thompson
    The top on my 360 stopped moving, fluid was on the window areas, how do i fill the fluid and check it?

23. mrjoey

mrjoey Rookie

Mar 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joseph J Thompson
    Where is the fluid tank and what do i fill it with?

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Human beings are more likely to respond if you say "please". Otherwise, the Forum Search function seems to work well.