348 thermo ECU | FerrariChat

348 thermo ECU

Discussion in '348/355' started by sdiamond, Apr 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sdiamond

sdiamond Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Kildeer
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Okay, need the wisdom of the brotherhood once again.... Car is 95 348 Spider and in the shop for the major. I am told the thermocouple ecu on pass side is shot and needs to be replaced. This adds $1,000 to the bill!!! The tech said the light is intermittent so it's my call? Having new radiator on that side replace cause at plastic junction it has separated going with high flow aluminum one instead of OEM. Not sure if I'm 2.5 or 2.7 Motronic but, what to do??? Can it be unplugged entirely, do I get one online and pop it in? Or just bend slightly more forward and have them replace it? I'd like to be able to add to the 22,000 odometer this year and go on the FCA drives without worrying. Help

2. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Unplug it and forget it.

3. bosshog8

bosshog8 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2011
    Pinelands NJ
    Full Name:
    Demetrius
    +1

4. sdiamond

sdiamond Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Kildeer
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is it the connection between the ecu and the thermocouple lead?

5. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    +2 Mine have been unplugged for years. Worthless piece of electronics. Oh, and I took my 348 through emissions today and the Techs didn't say a word about it.

6. sdiamond

sdiamond Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Kildeer
    Full Name:
    Steve
    so do you unplug both even if it's just one side that is on the fritz? Makes sense if you don't need one you don't need the other right?

7. bosshog8

bosshog8 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2011
    Pinelands NJ
    Full Name:
    Demetrius
    No. The connection between the Cat ECU and the main harness.

Yes

8. sdiamond

sdiamond Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Kildeer
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks as always !!!

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  10. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    You can source them for less than that online... I just replaced one of mine which was the epoxy type stuff was pulling away.

I think it was a 8mm socket to undo it.. simple fix you can do yourself.

but I like the idea of just pulling them out.

11. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman
    If anyone has a known bad one for a 348 I still need one. I have one bad one. I want to install 2 bad ones so it looks original but is internally disconnected.

Thanks
    Rodney

12. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    shoot me a PM.. I have a known bad one.

13. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    circling back to this... I have another bad ECU... and I'm cat-less so if I pull the ECU out ... won't that give me a CEL?

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    On a 348 it won't light up the CEL, but it will store a silent code.

16. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey Ernie..what happens when it does light up the CEL. Even after its disconnected? That's my current issue in another thread.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

17. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If anyone's got a working 348-version cat ECU they'd be willing to loan to me for a week or two for testing, I'd be much obliged. I've been working on a microcontroller-based cat ECU replacement for the older K jetronic cars, and it might be worthwhile to have the same for the subset of motronic cars for which the stock cat ECU boxes are particularly expensive. To do that, I need to get my hands on a motronic-version ECU to verify that I can duplicate its operation and connector style.

As to the the OP's point about going on drives without worrying, since the ECU is the warning system for detecting an overheating catalytic converter, there's of course some risk involved in not replacing a failed one (assuming the cats are still present).

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That I have no definite answer for.

I was made aware that on late model 348s ('94 iirc) the light will illuminate if the cat tcu is unplugged. My guess is it was a programming "update".

My 348 is a '90 and I get no light. I have been running with them unplugged for well over a decade. I get no check engine light but I do get a silent code stored (4121). So you may have the "updated" programming????

That is my best guess.

As for your issue, have you tried swapping the thermocouples side to side? Those do go bad.

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I ran my 94 unplugged, (removed both probe and TCU from the car), for 4 years and no code. An occasional CEL flash or SDL flash and gone. I did get last week a 4121 with a MAF code as well. So, I reset it and see if it comes back.

If I have no cat, no TC probe, and the car is telling me that my cat is burning up, I am obviously going to ignore that code.

20. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I can run ignoring the stored code if the darn thing wouldn't light and stumble the engine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

21. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #21 ernie, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    You may need a frash set of EPROMs, and maybe even repin the T55 connctors??? Years back I had a bunch of weird CEL codes, swapped out all brand new sensors, issues persisted. Installed a fresh set of chip *presto* the madness stopped. Here are my diy threads for both.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/351819-348-ecu-removal-chip-removal.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/444155-348-motronic-2-7-connector-harness-repin.html

But before you do any of that, have you tried swapping the Motronic ECUs from side to side to see if the problem follows?

cardude442 and Pangea like this.
  22. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Bringing this thread back...
    When you guys say unplug them are you referring to the electric connection or removing the probe from the cats and leaving the electrical connections?
    I'm assuming the later as this would make the car think they are installed and not overheating

23. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Post 7 above.

ILLA NOIZ likes this.
  24. ILLA NOIZ

ILLA NOIZ Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Concord, North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Drew
    So does this leave the CEL? I'm confused a bit.
    Wouldn't unplugging the cat ecu cause the slow down lights and shut down that bank?
    I have had intermittent 5/8 light and the last time the engine lost power. Trying to avoid that.
    Please excuse the ignorance and I'm not home to start playing with it. Just want a plan of attack

25. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yes, a silent code (4121). Meaning the Motronic stores the code but does not illuminate the CEL.

cardude442 and Qavion like this.