Is anyone else not interested in the new hybrid models? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is anyone else not interested in the new hybrid models?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by terryreid, Oct 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You raise a good point about Ferrari being in a tough position. It will get much worse when everything is all electric. Where will be the differentiation when that happens? Current strategy for Ferrari is to produce many new cars and new models. This keeps them going for now based on active owners that look back to the brand. But when they are replaced its hard to see the attraction at the extreme cost when even an American car will have the same performance. The other handicap is that they are no longer privately owned. Folks that work for a public company lose interest in the lore of employment there. When that happens the company can either sink or swim. The farther you get from a prideful history the more the risk to persistence.

AlfistaPortoghese and italiafan like this.
  2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I feel exactly the same.

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Every time Ferrari makes a major change, people say they will never buy another Ferrari - And it has no effect on Ferrari whatsoever!

A switch to mid engined cars - Outrage!: "Real Ferrari's have a V12 up front, I'll never buy one!"

V6 mid-engined cars - Disgraceful!: "Real Ferrari's are V12's!, I'll never buy a V6!" (Even Ferrari demanded they be badged Dino instead of Ferrari )

Mid engined V8's and an increase in production numbers - Disappointment: "Ferrari's will no longer be special as there will be too many!, that's an end to me and Ferrari!"

F1 gearboxes - Disgusted: "I'll never buy one of those! Real Ferrari's have three pedals and a manual shift!"

V8 turbo's - Dissaproval: "Ferrari's should be normally aspirated!, turbo's will ruin the car! I'll never buy one ever!" (And then they make an exception for the 288 GTO and the F40 cars!)

Hybrid technology - Scandal!: "The car's are no longer Ferrari's! I've no interest in this nonsense! I'll never buy one of those cars!"

If "real" Ferrari owners had their way, the company would still be trying to market out of date 1940's/50's cars with a space frame chassis, drum brakes, V12's up front on carbs, chrome spoke wheels with narrow cross ply tyres, no crash protection, that could be out run and out handled by just about every modern family saloon!

Luckily enough, Ferrari don't pander to the "real" Ferrari owners, and instead, move with the times.

To all those saying they will never buy a hybrid car: I suspect you're going to miss out on some mind blowing cars, performance and handling-wise, but that's your prerogative. At the end of the day, you're not the customers Ferrari is really aiming these cars at, they're looking to future customers, who have been brought up on flappy paddles, screaming turbo engines, and hybrid technology, even in their cheap family cars.

As Cadillac, Mercedes, and Jaguar all found out: If you only build cars to suit your traditional buyers, and don't move with the times, eventually you get to a stage where your clientèle have pretty much all died off, your cars are seen as "old man" cars, which the generation of future customers have no interest in , and your sales nose dive.Luckily enough, Ferrari has already sussed that one out!

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Small Hybrid for trundling around the city maybe ok.

SF 90 will tank like hell ,faced with eventual battery replacement costs etc etc.

5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’m definitely “interested “ in seeing how things develop.
    Unlikely to ever buy one though.

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Fully agree to a point (ironic aren’t I? :)), that is why I said further up in the thread that Ferrari is in a tough spot.
    Let’s face it...past is not always prologue. We are reaching an asymptote of performance. Huge HP gains necessary to create imperceivable real-world driving differences. So it is possible that now it really is different.

Honestly answer me this....do you REALLY care if your sports car goes 0-62mph in 2.1 sec vs. 2.2 sec? Really? If you say “yes” then I would ask a Psychiatrist to evaluate you. (Kidding of course :)) How about 1.7 sec vs. 1.8 sec? 1.1 sec vs 1.2 sec?
    Top speed 225 mph vs 230 mph? 295 mph vs 300 mph? 555 mph vs 565 mph?
    You see....it can only go so far.
    So....what do you, or most of us, really really really care about with a Ferrari ownership experience?
    In no particular order since each owner will weight it differently:
    1. Beauty
    2. Performance (within reason...see above)
    3. Sound
    4. Exclusivity...pride of accomplishment in success metrics
    5. Smell (Italian leather)
    6. Tactility of materials.
    7. Tactility of driving sensations...feel of car when handling

Basically the 5 senses except taste, and then throw in some pride and feeling of accomplishment (reward).

So again...Ferrari is in a tough spot...I do not envy their high-level management decisions (and no doubt arguments) going on behind closed doors!

Oh...final thought...to answer your question...IF Ferrari were “crazy” enough next year to build a light weight front engine 3-pedal V12 small displacement screamer with Carbs.....I’d line up to try and buy it instantly...though I would like disc brakes. :)

7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #32 I'm 360 Canuck, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    I agree strongly with the bulk of your post. Regarding your last paragraph, the “problem” is, since the days of cars like that, a lot has changed with the how a car must be made (legally and fiscally)...airbags, bumpers, headlight and tail light positioning, fuel economy and emissions, larger interiors and seats for today’s typical...ahem...gentleman of heroic proportions, etc, and various other crash and safety requirements such that trying to make a modern version of a more vintage car, ends up as an awkward, plasticcy Frankenstein sort of thing with limited appeal.
    You just can’t go back. People need to accept that.

There’s a lot of brilliant and wealthy minds in the Ferrari community. If building one of these retro cars is such a great idea that so many buyers would want, I don’t know what’s stopping a few of them from getting together and making a company to do it.

italiafan likes this.
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Fully agree.
    Just being romantic about V12 era.
    I would want all the safety equipment and reliability of newer cars (I drove a 1959 Maserati 3500 GT I restored..for about 6 months...nerve-wracking actually).
    This is why I am getting an 812 GTS. :)
    It is also why whenever I can I write with a fountain pen...and I love Patek Philippe. :)

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My issue is complexity. How much is a blown turbo going to cost? Or a replacement of the battery pack?

I had my F430 three years and Ferrari updated the ECU software 5 times for issues.

These sort of issues of fixing things "down the road" make unhappy ownership and can do long term damage to the reputation of the model.

I don't view the Corvette C8 as a perfect car but you have to admit they are on the right track. Simple yet powerful low maintenance engine without turbos or batteries, certainly fast enough for most, user friendly, substantial lower price, no dealer gimmicks to get one, and (hopefully) reliable. The Honda NSX of today.

Your average joe in Mississippi can still wrench one.

So although I think new technology is fantastic, I'm not sure the added weight and complexity really makes them "better".

10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I use my fountain pens for signing important documents...job offers, major purchases, legal docs etc.
    Seems more special than when I use it every day. Much like my Ferrari ;)

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    When we we get future screaming turbo engines? The screams have been silenced. Must pick a new adjective.

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Isn’t it amazing writing with a beautiful fountain pen? Just changes the feeling of signing something or collecting your thoughts completely.
    I love Pelikan and my Stipula pens the most.
    A bygone era...style and grace.
    iPhone is a meaningless tool to me, a Patek Philippe is a work of art; craftsmanship at an awe-inspiring level.
    Tesla a tool, Ferrari is art... visual, auditory, and kinetic.
    That’s the whole point isn’t it?
    It is about art and not becoming a tool....

I'm 360 Canuck and G. Pepper like this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    There are a lot of great responses on this thread.

Can I be really unfashionable and take a compromise position? I’m less interested in the new hybrid models than I would have been had they been flamethrowing nine litre V12s. But I’m still interested, because Ferrari makes some great cars with more hits than misses in the last decade. They won’t just forget that.

What happens when everything’s electric or hydrogen is a real conundrum, because Ferraris are very much about the engine, and if the engine is like everyone else’s..we see a bit of that with the 488 which is not that different engine wise to an AMG V8. But maybe the cars will be thrilling. I wouldn’t turn my back on them a priori.

A brand needs to take a critical mass of its core market with it when it changes direction. Some of us will leave Ferrari world - for what, though? The past? Others will stay on the journey. The technological change is not equivalent, but if you were a Porschista outraged about water cooling the 911 22 years ago and you left the brand, you would have missed out on some of the greatest cars in history subsequently.

The company that made the 16M, LaFerrari and 812 GTS isn’t suddenly going to become Hyundai.

italiafan and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    here is the good news for you guys that dont like the future cars from ferrari......
    you have roughly 50k of the old ones to choose from !
    go buy the one that suits your fancy and your wallet.

15. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Not gonna mention the purosangue eh? We just don’t talk about that here ;)

16. Airbus driver

Airbus driver Rookie

Jul 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Timothy D DeZutti
    I agree 100%. I seem looking at my first F-car purchase and the 458 is hsnds down the one I want after driving both at the track. 488 lacks the sound and instant torque of the 458, as well as some of the excitement of not being as spirited on the road due to its newer stability control (In my very limited experience) but I cant wait to get mine Italia
    Sent from my SM-G965U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Airbus driver

Airbus driver Rookie

Jul 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Timothy D DeZutti
    I like turbos like my brother in-laws 675LT and 911 Turbo S bit for me I can't get by the loss of the NA Ferrari sound on the newer models

18. Airbus driver

Airbus driver Rookie

Jul 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Timothy D DeZutti
    I believe they are trying to keep up with McLaren in this new model aspect

19. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    There's no doubt about it, hybrids and electric cars are the future. In a train, metro bus or taxis, and from A to B maybe.

Motorsport is being affected by this though. Viewership is declining.

Everyone is going to eventually go fully electric and that's fine. I can spend my money elsewhere.