360 - PIS adjustment fixed my problem | FerrariChat

360 PIS adjustment fixed my problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by Rjoselaw, Oct 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rjoselaw

Rjoselaw Karting

Mar 10, 2019
    Southlake, Texas
    Full Name:
    Raj J
    Just thought I would share my recent experience with repairing my car. After about 7 months of ownership of 2002 Spider, I finally took the car in to have the PIS adjusted. Unaware that the car was not running as smooth as it could, I assumed there was nothing wrong with the car until I started having intermittent problems putting the car in reverse while the car was "hot." So, I took the car to Norwood Auto Italia in Dallas and they quickly adjusted the PIS settings and to my amazement the car runs much better than before. I was also unaware that a previous owner had swapped in a Challenge Stradale TCU.

First, the shifting is smoother, both up and down. Second, the shifting seems quicker (although it could be a byproduct of the smoother shifting). Third, the car goes into reverse at all times without problems. Lastly, I also believe that engine is actually idling a little smoother (again maybe psychological effect). Nonetheless, I am a happy man right now with my car and cannot wait to drive it more!

Also, my recirculation button on my AC control panel was not staying depressed when pressed in and Norwood was able to take it apart and fix the button without having to replace the whole unit. Saved me a bunch of money.

2. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Kudo,s to that independent..!!
    Nice to know they treat their clients cars like they own it!
    Very Happy to hear your car is performing correctly.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Great to hear. Many here set the PIS much too low thinking it makes the car shift faster. In reality, it means the clutch drags and you accelerate wear on syncros, make shifting clunky, wear the clutch faster, and cause random shifting issues ( like reverse). Glad your is sorted. Once set up,properly they are fun to drive and super reliable.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I recommend setting the PIS as low as you can stand it, if the car rolls slightly when in 1st with no gas, its perfect,

you need to shift into N at lights, but it shifts fast and its fun, no excessive wear but you can let it sit in 1 at lights.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Poor advice and completely wrong info. By definition if the clutch is dragging (any transfer of energy from the input shaft) it accelerates clutch wear.

6. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have 40,000 miles on the same clutch and 60% life left

and it shifts fast

But I have to put it into N at red lights