How safe is California T/Portofino? Are there any crash tests? | FerrariChat

How safe is California T/Portofino? Are there any crash tests?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by XSpeed, Sep 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Owning one as a daily driver, I searched but couldn't find much information. How safe are these cars?

2. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    after a couple of weeks of searching, the only thing i found was somebody using a lambo crashing at 320 kmh and surviving.

3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    They are made in too low volumes to be crash tested. My anecdotal evidence based on owning one is that they seem to be safe - well engineered and with sophisticated traction control etc.

4. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Do not all cars sold in the US or Europe need crash testing such as NCAP ?

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I too find it hard to believe in this day and age any car (model) sold to the public would not have to pass standard crash testing just like every other camry or f150 but the old saying goes you learn something new everyday so I'll be interested to hear some definitive info on this.

6. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Well if you can flip a 488 multiple times while getting ejected from the windshield because you got blasted in the head boxing too many times to know you should wear a seatbelt, yet still live, the front engine models are probably even safer.

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    In order to sell in the US, all manufacturers have to do a crash test. However, this is a different crash test than the ones done by the independent rating companies, and does not get any safety ratings assigned.

Generally, if the car is over $100K MSRP, you won't see a any crash tests done by the independent companies.

So far, evidence has consistently shown that the independent crash testing is more stringent than the government's. I still remember the headlines when the small overlap test was introduced and all of a sudden cars that had 5 star ratings for years were getting 1-2 star ratings on that test.

Personally, it's just a risk you have to take when driving an exotic. By simple physics, driving a lower and lighter car is generally worse for survivability in an accident, regardless of what anyone says otherwise. I keep this in mind when I drive and thus I don't do anything reckless.

8. SamRo

SamRo Rookie

Dec 17, 2018
    Chap I know rolled a Cali T a few times and walked away with only his pride damaged. Car was a write-off but he was fine. I know that’s is anecdotal but on that basis I would say they are pretty safe!