Got my battery charger/conditioner hooked up | FerrariChat

Got my battery charger/conditioner hooked up

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by toggie, Dec 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #1 toggie, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Something I've been meaning to do for a few weeks now.
    As the weather is getting colder, I'm driving the 458 more and more infrequently.

So, I figured I better get the 458's "battery conditioner" out of its new packaging (after 12 months of ownership) and figure out how to hook it up. Turned out to be dead easy to do.

The battery charger/conditioner comes inside the big red satin bag that holds the red satin car cover and seat covers.
    The charger has its own little red satin bag inside and is a very simple device.

The charger has an a/c plug on one end and a "d-shaped" plug on the other end.
    The d-shaped plug goes into a socket just under the dash on the right side of the dash on the passenger's side of the car.
    The a/c plug goes into a wall socket.

The charging unit sits on the garage floor next to the car after you feed the d-shaped plug wire through the lower front edge of the car's passenger door. As you close the door, lightly pull the wire toward the front of the car and the door does not pinch the wire as it hangs outside of the car.

The charging unit has 4 lights on the top of it.
    One small light turns on as soon as you plug the d-shaped plug into the dash socket. I guess this indicates connectivity to the battery.
    The other 3 lights are in a row and indicate if the battery will not accept a charge, is charging the battery, or the battery is fully charged.
    When you first plug it into the wall, the middle light should go on (battery is being charged).

Very cool. Now my 458 is ready to sleep away half the winter this year. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA

Thanks for posting this detailed info on the battery tender. Agree with your quote about wine and cars. Have you tried Quilceda Creek Cab from Washington State? Amazing wine!

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I'll have to give that wine a try.

Yep, I figured quite a few 458 owners got their battery chargers out right away when they bought the car but I thought there might be a bunch of folks like me that never got around to it.

The first thing I did was try to find my battery conditioner.
    I looked in the front trunk, wasn't in the tool kit, wasn't in the tire repair kit, wasn't behind the seats, hmm ... it has to be here somewhere.
    Finally broke down and got the owners manual out. Didn't realize it was in the big red satin bag. :)

So, thought it would be useful to post a few pics, just in case someone else hadn't read that page in the owners manual yet.

With so many electronics and computers in the 458, I really didn't want to run the battery dead in the winter, so I knew the safe thing was to get that charger hooked up.

4. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for posting. My car is 13 months old and I've always wondered what the charger looks like! :)

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    It is a good thing to keep the car on the battery conditioner. Although not as quick as the F355, the 458 will run the battery down fairly quickly to the point where the starter motor will not crank. My experience is that it seems to be an on-off kind of thing -- no straining to crank; it will or it won't. And I imagine it is a robust starter motor to crank the 12.5:1 compression engine.

6. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks for the info.

Once it is "fully charged", do you remove it or just leave it connected until she is ready to wake up and go for a ride.

7. Webraider

Webraider Karting

Sep 12, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ulli
    Could anyone please tell me if it were possible to connect the charger to the cigarette lighter jack (I have the (CTEK-) charger for my Porsche and always stick it in there. It works flawlessly) ?

Why does F need to use that special connector beneath the glovebox ? Is the lighter jack not connected to the battery when the car is turned off ?

Any answers are much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ulli

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #8 toggie, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm pretty sure you just leave it plugged in.

Below is a picture of it the next morning after it charged up.
    I expected the top light to be the green one on the right (above the fully charged battery symbol).
    But I think the bottom light changed color from red/orange to green. Not sure what that means.

Every once in a while, the lights change to the middle light, charges for a few seconds, and then changes back to the green light.
    I suspect it cycles like that to keep the battery fully charged while plugged in without overcharging it.

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    It is a trickle-charger that doesn't overcharge, so you can leave it in.

Onno

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My official Porsche battery tender plugs into the cigarette lighter in my 2011 Boxster S. Works great as the car was not driven for over 2 months and started right up. No problems. I believe this method will NOT work on an Fcar.

My battery tender leads for my 360 F1 Spider were dealer installed in the panel behind the driver's seat. The car also sat for two months and started on the first try just like the Pcar. I keep the tender on all the time when not driving as I never know how long it may be between drives. When you live 3.5 hours from service the safer the better.

Having a battery tender come with the car is great. Thanks to the OP for the pics.

Life is good.
    Life is better driving a Ferrari.

11. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Right. The Porsche cigarette lighter charger is a real trickle charger. It is rated at only 1/2 amp and shuts off when it is charged. The Ferrari unit is rated at 3.3 amps so it is a much faster charge. It will also cycle on and off as has been noted. This is the pulse mode that is supposed to 'condition' the battery. The Ferrari unit has its own circuit on board the vehicle such that when it is engaged, other circuits are deactivated -- for example the car will not start, though you can turn the ignition on.

12. Webraider

Webraider Karting

Sep 12, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ulli
    Interesting.

AFAIK all the CTEKs are 'intelligent' chargers meaning they actively build a full charge-uncharge-recharge-cycle. They do not only CHARGE, but in time also put the battery under load simulating a normal (and battery-wise healthy) cycle.

Could it really be that the F has it's own charge-circuitry on board and does NOT depend on the charger being 'intelligent' as the CTEKs ? THAT would of course explain the need to have an additional charging-jack below the glovebox.

Guess I'll give my other CTEKs a try connecting them to the cigarette lighter jack once I have the F here in my garage. The batteries of both my previous 996TT and my current 997TT were/are always fully loaded when doing so.

Thanks for the moment,
    Ulli

13. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I had the impression that the Ferrari unit is made by CTEK but am not positive about that. Good question about the nature of the on board charge circuitry. All Fs have a separate charging jack somewhere, if not below the glove box. Please let us know if you learn anything about the cig lighter jack experiment. My 997 GT3 is always fully loaded when I use the Porsche unit.

14. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    the Ferrari supplied battery conditioner is indeed from CTEK and what you guys have is just a conditioner if I'm not mistaken. it doesn't charge the battery but just condition it to its optimum level. that's what I know

15. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I might be mistaken but I believe that the Ferrari/CTEK unit does charge and 'condition' the battery. The instruction 'manual' accompanying the unit describes a charging phase and a pulse phase. The charging phase is indicated by the middle amber light, as discussed earlier in this thread. The pulsing phase simulates normal operation to some degree in that the battery is alternately discharged slightly then recharged.

16. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i keep my 430 connected to the tender whenever the car is parked in my garage.
    even in the summer, between drives.
    unfortunately, the car is now up on a lift, covered for the winter.
    i will keep the prancing pony in hibernation until the spring.

17. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    Based in my limited evaulation, you pretty much have to use the factory charger.

Mine was "missing" when I got my car. I tried my Battery Tender brand charger in the cigarette lighter. Did not work. I suspect the lighter circuit turns off when the car is off. I bought the factory charger from Ferrari for about $400, as noone knew where I could buy the unique plug in end needed to go in the socket under the dash, as shown above.

18. jwp98

jwp98 Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    midwest USA
    $400? Wow. I think they are made in China for about $10 per unit.

Mine is charging, cycling as described. Spring needs to get here already.

I also parked on carpet squares and will increase tire pressure to 43 or whatever the manual recommends. Then maybe put the cover on.

Anything else to do?

19. Ferrari_F1_458

Jul 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Hi all! How long does it usually take to run the cycle if I just want to connect it once in a while. Thanks !

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My battery went down because the circuit breaker blew when it was in winter storage. I did not realize this. The power was off maybe for weeks.

Got the power back on. Plugged in the tender. Tried it three days later and the 458 started right up. The volt meter in the car showed the battery was not fully charged. Have not had a problem since.

When the car is not in storage l drive 458 every day. Plug in the tender at night as this extends battery life.

21. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    The tender KEEPS the battery charged when the car is parked, i.e. maintains the level it was right before you turn off the car. The car itself i.e. the alternator will start charging once the car has been moving for about 5 minutes. If you battery is not fully charged or you drive short distances it is best to every once and a while hook up a trickle charger to the battery itself, i.e. under the front passenger dash. You can purchase one at most auto supply stores or online for about 20 or 30 dollars

22. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can anyone verify if this is true? I thought the battery tender would (slowly) charge the battery.

23. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I believe you are correct. Most of the battery tenders under discussion come from CTEK. My understanding is the default Ferrari provided tender is the equivalent of a CTEK 4.3 (which I have several of), although I prefer the CTEK 7002 (which I have even more of). If you look at the any of the CTEK manuals you will see that they go through a number of programs that will charge the battery.

For example, if you look at pages 5/6 of the CTEK 5.0 manual (https://www.ctek.com/storage/ma/3f8cf34932cc46889f1d189ca335379c/cd879e35fdd145898b6b99c549c40292/pdf/7F18A34BA7A2CF91AC9F5404D8EB07FE2E6CAA66/MXS_5.0-manual-low-UK-EN.pdf) it says it goes through desulfation, soft start to test that the battery can take a charge, bulk charge up to 80%, slow charge to 100%, remove the charge and see if the battery is maintaining the charge, and then go to float/pulse mode for longer storage. My probem with the 458 provided tender is that the indicator lights do not show the different stages, unlike the CTEK commercial tenders.