458 - Help! Inner fuel filler flap/actuator stuck! | FerrariChat

458 Help! Inner fuel filler flap/actuator stuck!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kbaillie, Nov 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    I went to the petrol station this morning, running on fumes. While the outer fuel filler door itself opens just fine, and I can get the nozzle’s tip about 1” into the hole (insert “just the tip” joke here), the inner-most metal flap that’s presumably what keeps the fuel from spilling out while driving won’t open.

When inserting the nozzle, it just chunks into metal. Trying to pump fuel results in an outward spray of gasoline. The perfect pre-brunch appetizer! ;)

Anyone have a tip for me? Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers,

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    You might try seeing if the emergency fuel funnel will open the flap. Not suggesting you use the funnel to add fuel, just wondering if the nozzle at the station was possibly "out of spec," and too large to insert far enough to open the flap. If the funnel won't insert either, I assume the flap itself is stuck somehow...

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Try the nozzle at another gas station. If that or the emergency fuel funnel will not open the flap, then the flap is malfunctioning. There are no parts or repairs available to repair the flap. You could try lubricating the mechanism, otherwise you must purchase the entire fuel filler pipe with the flap as a unit.
    Replacement of the fuel filler pipe is not too bad. You have to remove the RR. wheel and inner fender in order to access the filler pipe.

4. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. As y’all expected, there appears to be no easy fix for this. I tried two gas stations and the plastic filler attachment to no avail. My Ferrari service center said that “messing around with a screwdriver” would probably be my best bet and, lo and behold, that worked! Well, at least to get this tank filled up....

That said, it looks like the plastic attaching the metal filler flap has broken and the whole unit will need replacing.

Thankful to get home in one piece, and hopefully the repair will be a painless one...

Cheers,

Kevin

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk