150k budget - wtb? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

150k budget - wtb?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chris0315, Aug 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Also, go to Vegas and drive the scud and 458 back to back on their track (is they still have those).

As I said earlier in the thread, for folks with your “want list” the 458 will come off GT-like compared to a scud.

On that topic, there are many many many threads with firsthand feedback comparing scud and 458 and scud and CS. The answer you seek is in those threads or in Las Vegas.

BOKE likes this.
  2. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    arizonaitalian likes this.
  3. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Sorry if I came off harsh but I am that guy.

A few points for you to consider.

Cars like Challenges, CS, Scud, 16M, Speciale, Pista....... don't traditionally sell quickly because they only interest a small percentage of Ferrari buyers. The other side of the coin is that they hold their value over time much better than the standard street versions. The best cars that have the best spec, history and least mileage will continue to get top dollar.

These cars change owners often when they are newer. The buyers of these cars often sell when the next model is available. Different buyers and buying cycles than the normal street versions.

I have seat time in 430s, Scuds, 458s, and a Speciale. IMAO the Scud is the fun spot. The 458 seems like a much larger car to ME on the track and street. The 458 and Speciale are much more advanced cars than the 430 platform but they are too refined for me and too large to be sports cars and are closer to GTs.

I think you will also find that the added weight of a 458 over a Scud will make a big difference in the feel of the car.

Like I stated in my earlier posts, get some seat time and buy the car you like the best. There are plenty of guys here with more experience than you can imagine that will be glad to help out getting you into a Ferrari.

One last note. In my experience, $25K will get you through most things on a Porsche. When it comes to Ferraris YMMV.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's a good chance a 150k Scud will end up being a 180k Scud, but a 180k Scud with the depreciation of a 150k Scud.

Imagine the expense of a high milage 150k Scud that more than likely has been tracked. 20k brake job + 8k clutch + 1.5k tyre change. That's why I say a 150k high wear Scud can be ridiculously expensive. Come time to sell, it will still be a high milage Scud and there will be next to no return on that brake and clutch job. That's a big loss if that 150k Scud depreciates another 10-15 within the next two years as the milage builds. A similar 200k low milage Scud that does not need any work for the foreseeable future, might only depreciate 5-7 in the same time. Could of course be more depending on miles put on the car, but there's no doubt that the overall hit on the 150k car probably will be the hardest.

This is also why I like the idea of a 180k 458. No clutch to worry about with overall much better build quality. And it looks like they will plateau around the 160-180 area for some time.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Given ur budget (so to speak) u may have to compromise or else u might miss out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Amen! Can’t have it all spending 150k

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Can’t believe I argued with u on those classified the other day! U make an awful lot of sense! My bad;)

8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    boat3 likes this.
  10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky

Attached Files:

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  12. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    We can still keep discussing imaginary cherry, low mileage, unraped, Scud prom queens for sale for less than $150K amongst ourselves until he reappears.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  14. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    599 is the way to go for me :) Maybe you can check manual transmission 991.2 GT3's

kes7u likes this.
  15. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Nope.
    Not much more to say at this point. I'll lean back and wait for the bad weather season. I'm very busy with work until end of November and won't have time to do more other than checking online. Once I finalized my year I'll see what's available and may or may not make a move.

BOKE likes this.
  16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Try to find some time to hit a local Ferrari Club event or other Ferrari get together and meet some owners. Talking to people that actually own/owned these cars will fill in a lot of blanks on things like running costs.

Nothing beats seat time.

chris0315 likes this.
  17. Vance4re

Vance4re Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2018
    Atlanta,GA
    Full Name:
    Vance
    For that amount , imho the best option is a nice driver 458 or a manual F430 if you like manual transmission cars

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 and Themaven like this.
  18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #94 LARRYH, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    I just discovered this thread so for what its worth If you can live with it, the SCUD is an experience to drive truly it is . I took mine out for a drive today and it is easily the best sounding of the cars in my opinion the F1 scud transmission is fantastic, but it is best shifted manually .. Those that suggest a V12 and I have owned several and still own at least one
    they are great but if you want a mid engine then you will not be happy with a front engine V12...
    bottom line the 458 is great it is much more luxurious then the Scud and since you are a Porsche guy I would compare the Scud to a GT3RS vs the 458 which would more like a 911etc...THe 458 is faster and probably easier to like but I love my Scud ...best of luck no wrong decisions in your choices ...
    one more thing if you decide on the SCUD and look at 2008 models make sure it has the USA carbon package which became std in 2009 ,so the 2009 models sell for a little more but an 08 is fine along as it has that carbon package

chris0315, Thecadster and BOKE like this.
  19. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
  20. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #96 LightGuy, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    I've been watching that one for awhile.
    And its a 2009 with the full carbon package.
    Good choice IMO.
    Check for "delamination" in the headlights.

An inexpensive one I looked at some time ago had corrosion on the lower engine bay.
    Check for corrosion all around.

They mention an aftermarket exhaust. Pics dont really show it well. Make sure its not too loud for your neighborhood.

PS what is supposed to go in the upper bracket in the front trunk ?

chris0315 likes this.
  21. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Spare wheel option

22. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    No aftermarket exhaust. Haven't read this either..
    The former stripe was just vinyl. So basically the car is grey outside. Looks a little bit boring to be honest. Interior is awesome. Some sticky buttons but not too crazy yet.
    Overall, I do like the Alcantara Interieur the most. However, black/white is still my favorite. Not sure if I move forward with this one

23. Natkingcolebasket69

II u can get it to 160k it’s only 7/8% of ur price