348 - CELs - Doh! | FerrariChat

348 CELs - Doh!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Wade, Nov 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Do people still say "Doh"? Anyway.

I haven't driven the 348 in awhile, mostly because the weather has been pretty lousy. And time flies...

Initially, all seemed well. But about 20 seconds into the on-ramp the Check Engine 1/4 light came on steady. All other indications were normal and the car was running strong. So I eased it down the highway to the next exit, looped around and headed back home.

Running the diagnostics gave me a 4121 and a 1212, plus the car was running a bit rich and slightly rough at idle. All other indications were normal which included a full visual inspection of the engine bay.
    • 4121: Catalyzer temp ECU
    • 1212: Multiplicative value for self adaptation Lambda regulation
    Researching the 4121 code here on FerrariChat and at My348 suggested a bad Cat ECU or a bad/clogged Cat. Fortunately, both Cats were measuring the same temps - 400° to 425° and swapping the Cat ECUs only takes about 10 minutes, even if you're never done it before.

The 1212 code could be a MAF issue or the O2 Sensor. Replacement MAFs are difficult to find, and expensive as well. So it's best to swap those from side to side for trouble-shooting purposes before trying to replace one. OEM Bosch O2 sensors are readily available but it takes some extra work to replace them (removing the air box, plus it's best to have the proper O2 sensor "wrench" as well).

I also read that a bad coolant temp sensor could trigger the 1212 code, and those sensors are under the intake plenum...

Now I'm thinking, "what did I do last?" Oh yeah, I replaced the HVAC Temp Control Valve a few months ago.

So I say, "let's start over". I cleared all of the codes, turned off the car, disconnected/re-connected the battery, started it up and went for a drive.

Everything was perfect until the same spot on the on-ramp - CEL 1/4 again. :confused:

Then it hit me. I wasn't allowing the car's ECUs the time they need for a proper re-learn process. Instead, I was using the "learn as you go" method (like my Jeep).

Cleared the codes again, disconnected/re-connected the battery, started it up without touching anything else (e.g. gas pedal) and waited until the coolant radiator fans came on. Then I went for a drive.

Now everything was awesome again. The car ran perfectly with lots of power and No CELs! :)

Drove the car again today, for about 20 minutes, and it's still perfect.

Lessons Learned :D

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Ata boy!

Yo get the Stooge award for research. So many times people are too doggone lazy to research the archives and find the answer.

Bravo, and well done.

3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks. There's so much great info "back there", like this post on the Adaptive Lambda Regulation by John C.

I should add, while doing the ECU re-learn, if the car is already warmed up, give it at least 10 minutes of idle run-time even though the rad fans have already come on.

ernie likes this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's super easy to forget about the 12 minute learn which is just about the fan on interval time. If the car is already warmed up, I actually wait till its cold and start over so it gets learning cold through hot.

ernie likes this.
  5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Guilty as charged! :D

Another reason to wait for full warm-up - from the 348 WSM and applicable to both the 2.5 and 2.7 systems:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

In other words, if the O2 sensor hasn't yet reached its operating temperature then no "effective" signal is sent to the ECU.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    FYI 1212: Multiplicative value for self adaptation Lambda regulation = Long Term Fuel Trim.
    Additive value = Short Term Fuel Trim.

LT fuel trim could be related tot he MAF but you need the SD1 or 2 to see which (LT or ST) it is.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good point. I saw your input (about halfway through this thread) while researching my 1212 code (two values Multiplicative and Additive)

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes it's open loop until the ICV valves close which is about 3 min in. Good point though probably more effective when engine is slightly warm for learning!

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #9 Wade, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    While reviewing the digital version of the 348 WSM, I noticed that Section C - Ignition-Injection only covers the Motronic 2.5 going from pages C1 to C68. However, it does contain the "Diagnostic Sheet No. 13 for the Motronic 2.7.

Missing are pages C69 - C80 which are for Variants for vehicles with Bosch Motronic M 2.7. Injection and pages C81 - 95 (end of Section C). I scanned all of these from my hardcopy WSM.

C69 - C80 contains technical info on the M2.7 and the Self-test procedures as well.

C81 - 95 includes additional tech info plus advanced diagnostics using "the Ferrari Tester".

Unfortunately, the pdfs are still too big for uploading here (8.5 Mb & 9.7 Mb respectively). Anyone have a Drop Box or similar?

Worth noting on page C70:

ernie likes this.
  10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.

Attached Files:

ernie likes this.
  11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  12. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    My pdf is also missing the pages you mentioned. Can you please email your two files to [email protected].

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sent!

Qavion likes this.
  14. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Hi Wade,

Nothing came to my inbox. Can you please try re-sending one pdf file at a time. Cheers.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, they're big files (8 and 9 Mb) each so I sent them individually. Maybe check your spam filter? They appear to have gone out successfully (e.g. no bounce back).

16. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Strange, according to Microsoft info, the total size limit of attachments in hotmail is 34MB. I also checked the "Junk Email" folder and there was nothing there. I would appreciate if you could just resend the files to the hotmail address I gave you and also cc. to [email protected].

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Okay, I just sent the first one to both addresses. If it comes though okay then I'll send the next.

18. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Gmail works fine. Thanks.

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006