Expansion Tank | FerrariChat

Expansion Tank

Discussion in '308/328' started by Irishman, Nov 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm having a hard time finding a new expansion tank for my US spec '78 308 GTS. If anyone has any sources I'd appreciate it.

In the meantime, I'm mulling over just trying to refurbish my current tank. I drove the car very regularly until I started this recent project in the spring of this year. The inside of the tank looks good to me. There is corrosion around the lip where the cap goes. I think I can clean that up. The overflow tube is almost clogged. I think I can drill out the corrosion. The overflow tube has hardening of the arteries. I have a new one.

Thoughts?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yours does not look too bad, but I suppose depends on "where you are going with it" resto wise.

As long as the blow off tube is open, it will work.

4. Dal308

Dal308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2014
    Coppell, TX
    Full Name:
    Dude
    I bought one from Superperformance a couple years ago....it was OK except the return tube was crimped on and not welded. Welded it and it has worked fine since.

5. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
  6. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    78/79 expansion tanks are unique on their mounting tabs.

7. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    :) Don’t I now know.

8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Check with Tom Vail of Allferrariparts. Former Dennis McAnn.

9. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  10. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    I agree, I've seen and restored much worse. For the high cost of new one it would be worth getting the original media blasted to see what lies beneath the surface corrosion and paint. You can then make an informed decision.
    BB

11. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hi BB,

Thanks, can you elaborate on what you do when you restore such a tank?

It may be amusing or naivete but my concern is focused solely on the condition of the interior of the tank and having a clear overflow tube.

I care about how the outside looks and painted this one some years ago. I have sourced now a potential new tank. But I agree the cost of a new tank is quite high. I'm considering the new tank since I also have already installed a new radiator. In for a penny in for a pound sort of thinking.

12. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    On other lightly corroded expansion tanks I've had them media blasted inside (as best possible and outside to remove the paint an scale) then as long as there are no pin holes from corrosion, use phosphoric acid to rust convert the corrosion around the neck and overflow tube. A new coat of paint and your done. BB

13. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M