PAINT PROTECTION FILM | FerrariChat

PAINT PROTECTION FILM

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Sam Sepiol, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sam Sepiol

Sam Sepiol Rookie

Feb 1, 2017
    Please may you talk me about your experiences of having ppf on your supercars? I am considering applying xpel to my Porsche 911c4s

Thank you very much

[​IMG]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

2. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    Use search function. Extensive threads exist on this topic

3. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Installer is very important. Recently worked on an RS7 wrapped in xpel stealth that had streaks all down ghe drivers door

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    so far so good

5. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Find a good installer and don't put any harsh chemicals on it and you should be good.

Probably easier if you expressed your concerns about it, you'd get better feedback.

6. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Where are you located? There are some very good installers in California. I've done this to four of my cars and here's a short recap of what I've learned:

- Do not buy a pre-cut kit. They don't fit, have gaps, seams and will piss you off over time
    - Go to a well-known installer who custom fits the film to your car. I wouldn't have the dealer do the work, but someone like Premier in Fremont California. They specialize in this sort of work and they're the only people I'll let touch my cars.
    - Do the full hood, bumper, fenders, A-pillars, side mirrors and the panels under each door. Behind the rear wheels is important too and I've done the gas cap as you're touching there all the time. On my wife's Audi S4, because you typically grab the trunk on the top to close, I did the trunk lid so there are no scratches there too.

Given how much we pay for our cars, it's well worth the price to have a pro do the work.

7. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide

Hello Sam,

Where do you live, we have a network of installers that would be happy to install XPEL on your Porsche. To find an installer nearest you click: locator.xpel.com

Contrary to what some people say, you can use pre-cut kits to completely cover the surface. The kit and the software allows for wrapped edges and extended areas. One of the benefits with pre-cut kits is that there won't be a blade cutting any film on your vehicle. The pre-cut kits are designed to fit precisely with the correct installation technique.

When you do find an installer:

- Be sure to ask for wrapped edges where possible (meaning that the film will wrap over the edge of the panel)
    - Visit their shop and look at some of their installations they've completed, as certain installers may do things differently
    - Exam the installation to see if the visible seams are close the edge of the body panel
    - You can ask them if they've wrapped your vehicle before, some installers may have wrapped a few, some may have wrapped a hundred...it's best to find an installer you feel comfortable leaving your pride and joy with.

8. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    I have XPEL on my whole BMW M4 (all the painted surfaces, even the underside of the bumpers where it is painted).

Make sure the car is well prepped:
    cleaned
    make sure all paint chips (even the super small ones are filled, flattened, etc. if you don't do this, all films seem to magnify the chips)
    paint corrected and polished
    waxed (I used meguiars tech wax and xpel has products too)

If I had to be picky, the films usually are slightly more sticky of a surface than polished paint so sometimes a bug or piece of tar is harder to get off than paint.

On the other hand, my car got a rock strike at 70mph and while it marred the xpel it didn't get to the paint. Oh hand it the rock destroyed the windshield (chip and full end to end crack). it would have most assuredly needed the hood to be repainted. Also, it hit past where most people just do the 1/3rd clear bra.

9. danzf430

danzf430 Rookie

May 20, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hello,

I was quoted $4.5K from an XPEL recommended installer for my F430 for removal of factory clear bra, stage 1 paint correction and full wrap except the roof. Basically all the pre-cut patterns for the F430 with some custom for headlights and air vent edges. Is this a fair price or am I being ripped off? in Sacramento Ca?

Thank you in advance!

Dmartin likes this.
  10. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    I just posted this in another thread that asked same question... I went with the new Suntek paint protection film........

$4500 sounds about right and what I was quoted for pre cut wrap. Only problem is Pre Cut Suckkkkksssss compared to having it hand cut. The pre cut leaves way to many visible edges that can be seen. Biggest issue on my Posche that had pre cut clear bra was that dirt builds up in the edges much easier. If you use wax on the car, there begins to be white wax residue build up on the edges. After learning this, I searched and searched for the next company to do my 488. Hand cut allows them to hide every seem making it look like its an original paint job. Seriously, everyone thinks my 488 is painted Matte.

I found Boden Autohaus in Costa Mesa Ca. They charge a bit more, but worth every penny. The main guy Chris has over 11 years installing Clear Bras and wraps. They wrapped my 488 completely in the new Suntek Stealth clear. It gave the entire car a Matte/Satin finish I was looking for. This entire week they have been removing the previouse (pre cut) clear bra and now have begun installing a Matte grey wrap on my Cayenne Turbo S. Ill post a video and pics once its done next week.

Here is a Time Lapse of when they wrapped my car. $7000 for 4 days non stop work. I couldn't be happier. The difference between them and the previous company I paid $4500 to was night and day. Good luck with whoever you end up choosing, Just make sure to do hand cut to hide and tuck all the seems.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBN-yklJOwc[/ame]

11. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Anyone have any experience with Stek film...my installer thinks it’s THE best film out there

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love Suntek. It looks the smoothest to me out of all the films. The others look like the paint has orange peel. The Suntek is almost invisible. I'm not sure about how well it holds up, or how thick it is, etc. But definitely like the clarity the best.

13. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Stek is a new film on the market which is different from Suntek and Xpel in that Stek comes coated with a hydrophobic coating. I've heard its a great film and even though it has a coating, you can add another coating on top of that. It's fairly new so not many have heard of it. Esoteric Detail in Ohio uses it so you may reach out to them for more info.

I've had Xpel on the front end of my 458 for 5 years and held up very well over the years. I had Suntek put on the front end of my 488 spyder and didn't care for it. I was talked into getting it since it was the newest and greatest one the market but in my experience, the edges lifted off once dirt build up occurred and on my white spyder, just didn't give enough of a shine like Xpel. So, when I decided to keep my 458, I had the old front end Xpel removed and had the entire car car done in Xpel ultimate which I love.

Obviously it's all dependent on the prep, paint correction, and the level of experience of the installer. In my case, my Suntek installer had over 15 years of PPF experience so he knew what he was doing but I prefer Xpel over the Suntek.

14. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I recommend going for full kit as you get swirl marks on the panels without the ppf which gets really annoying, a well fitted kit installed in a dust free environment will not be noticed by most people when they see your car, I have to tell people it's on there but I did pay around £6,000 so it was not cheap but worth every penny as I'm keeping the car, I have put it on other cars that I ended up not keeping for long which is a real waste as no one gives you anymore money for the car due to the ppf also you must fill all chips or it messes up the install. I would say do the full car if you are going to keep it you will not regret it
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    The latest films from Suntek and XPEL also come with a hydrophobic coating. For all films, the coating that comes with it is not very durable and will not last the life of the film. In addition, their coating should is likely not UV shielding (to ensure even paint fade on filmed vs non-filmed panels). Adding a proper professional grade ceramic coating is still an added benefit.

16. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012