My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale. | Page 10 | FerrariChat

My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Congrats. Car is beautiful.

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Enjoy her with good health. She does look beautiful..

Old Italian saying

piace a te piace a tutti

You like it , everyone likes it

Enjoy

3. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I did something like that too- had a 458 and a 2019 488GTB with ~2000miles. Had an 812 on order so I traded both in on a Speciale and the 812: Image Unavailable, Please Login

Avia11, tekaefixe, 96redLT4 and 7 others like this.
  4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks gents, grazie mille Angelo - love the saying

That is not a half bad looking lineup, wow. How do the Speciale and 812 compare?

5. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks, the 812 engine has to be experienced. The sound, the smoothness, endless torque and the shifts are amazing. I only got to put 300 miles on the car before winter set in. I always wanted a Speciale but when I bought my first F car, the 458, the Speciale was more than I wanted to spend. I was going to keep the 488 and trade in the 458 because I spec'd the 488 and pretty much ticked every option. The dealer just happened to have the Speciale available before my 812 arrived, and Illinois is changing the net trade in tax allowance so I couldn't resist. The Speciale has that rawness and I like the naturally aspirated engine over the 488. I didn't like how the 488 reacted at the redline either, which arrived so quickly with the twin turbo. The 488 is definitely faster than the Speciale, but I just love the styling on the special edition cars. Even though I had some issues with the 488's characteristics at redline and the engine's diminutive appearance ( the limiter seemed to intervene early on the 1-2 shift) my next car will be a Pista over any of the new models. They do such an awesome job on the styling of the limited edition cars, I can't resist!

of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  6. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Congrats! I think this may be the Speciale with the most Ferrarichat owners. I believe you are the 4th one!

7. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    #232 sampelligrino, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    RayJohns, Shadowfax, 96redLT4 and 5 others like this.
  8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    When you have some miles give us the comparison between the two. What you like and dislike between the two. Also we need videos!

sampelligrino and IloveGT like this.
  9. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’m happy for you Sam. The Speciale is ..... well, special. Congratulations and enjoy your gorgeous new toy.

10. ferry430

ferry430 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2012
    Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Congratulations to your special car !

11. Thats one sexy car.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    That was not present when I owned her a few years (and many thousands of miles) ago. FWIW.

Biased, but I think the best looking Speciale ever made. And unique.

sampelligrino, IloveGT and of2worlds like this.
  13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks Joe, appreciate it. Bittersweet with the 488 gone as it was the first & goal achieved. This car basically pistol whipped me and took my money I think what happened..

14. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Cant argue with you, felt very fortunate to see this car in the garage today. Spent 15 min just admiring the little details thinking to myself I probably couldn't have done this good of a job speccing the car myself (tied up with family over the holidays so that was it for today lol)

No problem with the wheel well, went to a shop highly recommended by my dealer and came away thoroughly impressed

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Orig owner is a collector who specs many of his cars with this scheme.

of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  16. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I think that Speciale was at F of SV.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I sold her to BevHills who sold to Cats and then about 4 more places/owners.

18. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The styling details are so amazing on this car and so timeless. It looks like it could be brand new!

J

19. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017

Finally back to regularly scheduled programming! Managed to get up while everyone else was asleep and head out for a decent 80 mi drive

The Speciale feels more alive, impatient, and dangerously playful. Because the car is so new and based on how precise the throttle and steering inputs are, I'm being a bit more careful pushing the car. The Speciale feels lighter on its toes, again more playful that it wants you to go. It wants the rear loose and moving if you hit throttle with the wheel turned more than any other car I've owned. It's a more involving drive, find myself concentrating more. Gearbox changes are very abrupt and the car bucks at low speeds sometimes, especially in race mode. The rev matching on downshifts by the DCT adds even more drama and feedback

NVH is way more present here, it's a more raw experience with debris hitting the floor/wheel wells and engine/exhaust noise from behind the firewall. Louder experience in the cabin which is awesome. The flat plane V8 makes incredible sounds inside, but as expected the Speciale doesn't have that pitch or whine that the Italia has. When you're on it, you'll hear deep & loud exhaust noise drowning out some of the engine noise and notes, especially with windows open. I can see why people mod the exhaust on the Speciale, but I'm a big OEM guy and I'm loving the sound all the same. You hear this car coming!

Amazingly linear power delivery as expected, there's just that faster/sharper/more instant response inevitably with the loss of the turbos. It's a special engine. Who doesn't like revving to a 9k redline. But I will say sound wise once you are at 7k it's already very loud, and doesn't build that same frenzied ballistic chainsaw-through-metal crescendo my GT3 had for the final 2000 revs

Looks wise the Speciale is brilliant, Ferrari does the special series thing right and it just exudes something purposeful, aggressive and stunning. The stripes, lines, vents, angles, cutouts, and all other little details are so cool to look at

Now to the 488. Being in the Speciale you notice the loss of torque the 488 has, the 488 engine gives you that warp speed feeling more where you are holding on for dear life. It's not as sharp for the steering or throttle inputs, but give it that inevitably fraction of a second to catch up and then the 488 feels faster. The 488 also feels like it revs faster and you need to pay attention to catch the revs on the tach as they explode, vs. the Speciale you dictate where you want the revs. I also really liked that deep bellowing sound the 488 made once the valves opened in race mode+, the wastegate noises. 488 feels more planted, less playful that it wants to keep traction. The Speciale feels more communicative and easy to predict when the rear will get loose once you start picking up the car's habits. 488 keeps it more hidden when the rear will start to slip, coupled with the immense torque shove made it scarier (Speciale will dance very easily)

Summary: as expected 488 is more comfortable, more versatile, more refined. An awesome GT car that I loved driving down the CA coast, you tell it what to do and it will do it in a relaxed confident way. The Speciale feels more like a partner, you guys work together on more involving experience. It's more precise, raw, racecar which is what I think I missed..

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Thanks for the write up now your next assignment have someone ride along and shoot some video!

21. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    #246 soulsea, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Welcome to NA heaven. :)

RayJohns, ryalex and sampelligrino like this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Outstanding summary. Looks like a wonderful empty road.... I laughed out loud at....”frenzied ballistic chainsaw-through-metal crescendo...”

Nsd991 and sampelligrino like this.
  23. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    No worries, if I ever get some will be sure to share

Thanks buddy!

Haha thanks man. Road was the Pacific Coast Highway. When you get up early enough, you can have sections to yourself and it really is a slice of CA heaven. Otherwise it's a parking lot!

24. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Congratulations! Great comparison writeup too!

25. tickerhound

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Excellent write up!