348 - Winter Driving ! | FerrariChat

348 Winter Driving !

Discussion in '348/355' started by rvp325, Dec 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
  2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I want to see some of you northerners running them on a frozen lake taking a high speed slide

:)

Jasonberkeley and rvp325 like this.
  3. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul

SoCal1 likes this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    I totally get it. Been driving my 911s in the snow with dedicated winter setup for 10 years. The 348 will not see snow bc I’m not outfitting it w snow tires. But, dry salt powder seems more harmful than it really is. A few good layers of wax keeps it from even getting to the paint. I’m not dusting it off since that will obviously scratch the surface. And I’ll drive it once/week to keep it running smoothly. I’d rather this option than having it sit for weeks on end. It’s a higher mileage 348 and though it’s pristine, it’s a driver, not show car. Cars that suffer from salt damage are abused for years on end by owners who barely wash their cars in summer let alone winter. It’s really a balance of comfort. I was running her hard at 85 mph down the local highway and it’s felt so good. And that’s precisely why I bought it. To drive it. There’s something rebellious and fun about driving the Ferrari when most wouldn’t. I probably need to grow up

pic attached. My 911 in a recent snowstorm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    summer tires? how do they hold up?

rvp325 likes this.
  7. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Hi. Yes. Running BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2s. As you can imagine below 40 deg they can be slick ... like hockey pucks. So I’m careful to warm them up slow and steady. And not drive aggressively especially thru turns. After 20 min they are very predictable.

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

You must be running spacers on the rear wheels?

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Not a chance, but by all means go ahead if you’re visiting. Did my runs in lesser appliances years ago.

SoCal1 likes this.
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The undercarriage I worry about with salt not the body per say. Spend time under the car or replacing suspension and it's clear there is no corrosion prevention's just very thin and cheap paint. All those joints and nooks and crannies are my concern with corrosion but perhaps I am just overly concerned, :)

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

phrogs and rvp325 like this.
  11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I used to take my 930 on the lakes whenever I could. Most fun I ever had in a 1/4 mile slide LOL

Isobel likes this.
  12. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    yes

13. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I both commend you on driving your car and wince at the thought of driving a Ferrari in the winter. Why do it? They only made so many of these and each one is special. Salt dust goes everywhere and you can't get it all out.

14. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Paul, excellent question and points. I am not driving it heavily, only 1-2x week to keep it operating smoothly. And washing it frequently. In NJ, the reality is keeping it 100% clean thru winter can mean NOT driving the car for 4-5 months. I am on point with maintenance, just had a major 500 miles ago and the entire was car sorted and examined, all parts, new and original, in top shape. Like with anything from our Ferraris to our bodies, a "state of disuse" can be damaging in other ways. Agreed, salt dust may find it's way into nooks and (may potentially damage some bits)...but on clear, sunny day in August, one could wreck their car instantly through a stroke of bad luck...and if their lucky, walk away without personal injury. I know that's a grave example, and I'm not saying I'm living like I'm going to die tomorrow, but I really do just enjoy driving (the hell out of the) the car and using it, more than I value looking at it, clean, in the garage. My 9 yo son and I have made tons of memories already! Road trips and what not. I plan on maintaining this car, at whatever cost, for many many years to come, but I crossed a threshold where yes, it's unique and special, but in my opinion, a car worth driving like any other especially if it gives me joy...road salt be damned, lol!

**My wife is an ER physician and I am a Neuroradiologist. As a dual physician household, the stories and experience we share are beyond measure. And we're still relatively young, 38 and 40, respectively. I am the type of physician that usually initially diagnoses and characterizes the most malignant brain tumor -- glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) for a living, amongst many other diagnoses and conditions. I've been involved in the care of hundreds of patents with GBM dating back to my fellowship days @ NYU Medical Center. That being stated, it's still a very uncommon, if not rare, tumor...and you know what ?? ...my uncle died in 6 months from a GBM earlier this year -- a physician himself that founded the 5th largest kidney transplant center in the USA. 6 months.

Again, I don't live like I'm going to die tomorrow. Not at all what I'm trying to convey. But...I've learned to not worry about certain things. At least too much ;) It's a radical car, fun as hell, looks damn good, and sparks up more conversation than ANY Porsche I've ever had (owned three 911s). And I just eat it up :)

Rosath, joe1973, AFKC and 3 others like this.
  15. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    I have used agents such as SALT AWAY attached to a garden hose, diluted appropriately, to wash the wheel wheels and parts of undercarriage. Used extensively in marine use to rinse off bodywork and components. Much more powerful than tap water/soap. This...followed by a standard washing, detailing, etc. The solution contains corrosion inhibitor which actually coats as it dries mostly preventing the corrosion that salt, moisture and oxygen induce.

Ferrarium likes this.
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I crack the garage door and side door use an exhaust fan and run it until the radiator fans come on weekly in dead winter.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Qavion, Isobel and rvp325 like this.
  18. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you for sharing your story, I really enjoyed reading that. I wish you many years of driving enjoyment. There is company called Fluid Film that makes a coating that can be applied as a rust preventer. You might want to look into it as I think that would help quite a bit.

rvp325 likes this.
  19. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    awesome! I’ll look into it

20. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    These are amazing snaps. I am accustomed to driving sports cars in the snow, with snow tires...but I imagine you took out the 348 with summer rubber??!! Either way, looks bad ass!

21. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yeah, I lived in Montana 44 years and never owned a set of snow tires for anything. I spent a decade with only a manual trans, rear wheel drive sports car as my only year round transportation. And I never wrecked anything (important note).

rvp325 likes this.
  22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Got some skills!:)

23. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    That is insane. Love it man! You've got some skills...and balls! Drive safe pal, merry xmas!

24. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If I had a 348, I’d make it my winter beater too.

Same with the 911

My 355 however, will never see a snow flake.

Just kidding guys.... NEVER drive a great car in the snow. I have a pic of my 550 at the end of my driveway in snow but there’s a good story. Once I find the pic, I will share.

25. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Qavion and rvp325 like this.