430 - What is this noise? | FerrariChat

430 What is this noise?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Themaven, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I took my 430 Spider for a drive yesterday, and noticed a noise I’d heard on my last drive, but now slightly more intense. Whenever there was stress on the front suspension, both sides, a little graunch/soft crunch noise. Coming down a ramp onto the flat, when each front corner had weight on it on the flat, and so on.

Quite quiet - my wife didn’t notice it - but more noticeable than last time I drove it a month ago, when it was more noticeable than the first time I heard it in November (I only drive the car once a month in winter).

It also happened over speed bumps/compressions.

Ball joints were replaced in 2015, less than 5000 miles ago. What could it be?

2. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Lower shock bolts probably. The wear and rattle inside the bushings. Just replaced all mine and it made a huge difference.

3. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I noticed this noise on my car to. Ill drift down the driveway and as i approach the bottom and turn my wheels on to the flat road i hear it on each side, front only

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Jack the wheel up and hold it at 3 and 9 o clock- pull on it in both directions and see if any play in the wheel. If so look for wear in the steering track rod ends. Then take the wheel off and look for movement in the upper and lower arms. If the ball joints were renewed with the ferrari steel ones they might be worn again as not much good. Fit hill engineering ones if worn as easy diy job

5. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Thanks Mike, ill have a look at it next week

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks for the good advice