430 - Weird Exhaust tone during start up! | FerrariChat

430 Weird Exhaust tone during start up!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dchau2401, Oct 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dchau2401

Dchau2401 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    Hi,

I have an S-Line exhaust system with Fabspeed Headers and No cats.

When I originally got the car and installed the system the car would have some weird bog down issue and you can hear it from the exhaust tone, it’s usually high pitch f1 sound. The problem would fix itself with a restart.

I recently got some services done i think it was some gasket and it solved it temporarily and started to come back again, the shop did more services on headers because it was coming loose and after the service the sound is persistent on every cold start and would go away after 10 mins of driving.

Has anybody has any issues with this, sounds like valve closed or something or raspier sound than the high pitch.

Eric C likes this.
  2. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've had this for a few years. Sometimes it sounds like the car is running on 7 cylinders (Loses that high pitch sound), sometimes a restart will fix it, sometimes it doesn't. It's annoying, I know that much.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It sounds like you have a small leak when cold, it is then taking up when the exhaust gets hot. If so they could find the leak when cold using a smoke test . Check the bolts holding the cat, they have springs on them- see if any have a broken coil, as this will reduce the clamping.
    Just see you dont have cats, so do replacements have these spring bolts.

4. Dchau2401

Dchau2401 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    It’s really weird because they just called me to the shop and we started the car and we had the same problem with the low raspy sound and obviously the tech wasn’t familiar with it because it’s usually the driver that knows what the car is suppose to sound like. We took the car for a drive for like 10 minutes to try to show them what it should sound like but this time the sound never cures itself like it usually does even with restarts. I’m not sure if this could be like a weird misfire, but noticed the car smoking up during the start, they might have over filled oil which burned in the exhaust and I have read on the forums that it could also affect head gasket etc.

Just waiting to hear back from the new shop now to see if they can figure something out.

They found a broken bracket so 1 week order time
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Dchau2401

Dchau2401 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    Yea when I got the car it did sound different and restarting would fix the issue but it hasn’t been curing itself after restarts after the last couple of services

6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Those brackets are problematic. I took mine off and left them off 2 years ago

7. Dchau2401

Dchau2401 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    So the shop said no fault codes relating to the engine and also ran a smoke test and found no leaks.

We went on a drive and the car performs fine, but still sounds like the exhaust is clogged so they think there is carbon build up or some issue with the air flow... so they are cleaning it out and will update Tuesday.

They also changed spark plugs and it didn’t solve anything and said coils were fine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    >> but still sounds like the exhaust is clogged so they think there is carbon build up or some issue with the air flow... so they are cleaning it out and will update Tuesday.

Does that involve a spirited drive to red line?

9. Dchau2401

Dchau2401 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015

Lol, I think they mentioned doing a walnut blast...

Crazy thing is that it won’t even self cure itself like it usually does with a restart and it was driving fine leading up until the last service for a loose exhaust gasket so if the walnut blast doesn’t work gonna bring the car somewhere else to see if they can recheck the work done on the headers. Maybe there’s build up in the actual exhaust x pipe.

If all fails will probably turn off master switch and on so ecu can relearn or just another fabspeed ecu reflash and new batteries.

10. Dchau2401

Dchau2401 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    Update:

Car performs and runs better after carbon cleaning but the exhaust sound still persist. Thinking it could be the actual X Pipe from S-Line. Going to send the car to another shop to try to diagnose the issue...

11. Dchau2401

Dchau2401 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015
    Hey Guys,

It's been some time and still haven't been able to diagnose to solve the problem. The problem is very intermittent and comes and goes during drives. Thinking it could be a ECU problem but the shop wasn't able to pull up any fault codes.

New battery was installed and didn't fix the issue.

Noticed that during acceleration during first gear high rpm, the throttle is a bit wobbly.

Any idea what else I should look into? I remember reading that there might be a couple sensors that don't give fault codes?

12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Where are you located?
    What kind of shop is doing the work?
    Do they have a scan tool that can talk to all the car's systems?
    Did they really smoke test the exhaust?

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If all this attention does not cure it, might be worth thinking about removing the manifolds and rejointing them, also check the sealing face is flat with a straight edge and a light

14. Dchau2401

Dchau2401 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015

I’m located in Sacramento California.

The current tech that’s been working on the car now is using a Texa(they primarily only work on exotics) and that was able to detect some suspension fault codes and he mentioned that those shouldn’t really mess with the issue I was having. He thinks it’s a computer issue and we’re going to try to reflash with Fabspeed before bringing it into a dealer to see if they are able to see codes Texa isn’t able to see.

The issue seems to go away after driving for about 20-30 minutes, turning off the car and starting again. But once the car’s high pitch F1 sound returns from the X-Pipe, i’ve been noticing a wobble in my throttle at higher RPM.

I’ve had the car for over 5 years now, so was hoping somebody on the forum might have had a similar issue.

The previous shop said they smoke tested, I wasn’t there so I can’t confirm.