Bubbling paintwork .... corrosion ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bubbling paintwork .... corrosion ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by captaind, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I live in Canada where snow , ice and tons of salt are applied regularly on the roads during winter. I have owned 15 cars(some steel, carbon fibre, aluminum and combinations thereof) in the last 20 years and I have yet to experience any rust or oxidization bubbles of any kind. No excuses for a Ferrari to develop any of the paint issues discussed here. To offer only a 3 year warranty on the paint is evidence of how little confidence the company has in its paint finishing.

2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    FWIW , I just went and inspected over 2 dozen Italia's and none had the condition you are experiencing.

I also looked several F12's / FF, a TdF, a La Ferrari , an Enzo, and numerous 360/430's
    Nada.

Serious question, if you happen to know, did the car have clear shield installed previously?

I HAVE seen where , when the clear shield is removed, the paint can lift with it.. causing something that looks a little like what you photographed.

Just a thought,

S

3. Mjcc

Mjcc Rookie

Mar 3, 2017
    SAFE4NOW - FWIW , I just went and inspected over 2 dozen Italia's and none had the condition you are experiencing

As a matter of interest were any of them triple layer paint?

of2worlds likes this.
  4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Going back to look, only 2 were.

S

of2worlds likes this.
  5. Bazle1

Bazle1 Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Baz
    I spotted a bad patch of corrosion (much more severe than yours) under the bonnet lip at the front the day after i got my used approved 2011 458 home, I told them about it and they said they would get it sorted for me out of good faith, they took the car back to replace faulty parking sensor, interior led lights flashing and a few other small minor faults but forgot to get the paintwork done, They apologised and said they will do it in June when the car is next in with my anual service, apart from forgetting to do the paintwork while the car was in, so far they have fixed several fault with the car no questions asked under the approved used warrenty.
    I now have a passanger door that does not open from the outside and a exhaust valve that is intermittently sticking open so will keep you posted on there approved used warrenty

of2worlds likes this.
  6. 430scuderia1

430scuderia1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Barry
    Hi,

Gutted to have just found this on both sides of my Speciale, dealer said they will fix but i am gutted. I have owned the Car from new, had it PPF'd by Topaz and was genuinely a keeper. Its just took the shine of it for me not both sides of the car need to be resprayed.

Car is a December 2014 build and i had it delivered in Jan 15. i thought it might be more common but this is the only thread i can find.

Cheers

Barry

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Smythes

Smythes Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Hi, I have a new Ferrari F12 with exactly this problem. The dealer has carried out the repair twice to correct the problem,the last time was under the Ferrari factories specific repair instructions.
    The paint bubbling has now returned again and I have informed the dealer that the car is not fit for purpose and that they must take it back and refund the purchase price in full, or face court action against them.
    If you have any more information on the "confidential" internal factory memo, I would be most grateful.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    What I understand from the F12 thread is that the issue comes from the different metals used for the body (aluminium) and the air intake grids (typically on top of the rear wing), bubbles appear where both metals are in contact. Not sure whether the 458 is showing the same issue.
    Not sure either whether replacing the grid with another material (e.g. plastic or carbon) would solve the problem.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Very sad to hear about that paint work experience with your new F12. One member here drives his F12 every day with over 35,000 mile now. I wonder what his paint looks like. The F12 problem seems to be a reaction when aluminum body meets stainless steel trim from what others have said. I would certainly let your dealer try to sort out the problem again as the F12 is in many respects a sensational driving experience. A quality repair should not be noticeable and is at their cost in dollars though you are missing some 'seat time' as a result of this paint issue.
    What color is your F12 and is it a triple layer paint? I can imagine it is difficult at the moment but keep the Ferrari faith!

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That might be a good solution ... but is this alarm being heared at the factory or does it stay at the shops ...?

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Galvanic corrosion occurs in the presents of an electrolyte. There is always a third material in the bi-metallic reaction. Some electrolytes drastically accelerate the reaction perhaps making some cars 'bubble' much sooner than others, assuming the bubbling is not caused by poor paint prep in the first place. Someone needs to post this internal memo.

12. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Does anyone know if this is an issue with the 488 GTB?

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I have an early 488 (Sept. 2015) and no problem so far, crossing fingers...

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    How long does it ttake to show I wonder.

If it happens on an F12 ... it may happen on all other F cars too imo ...

15. pckau

pckau Rookie

Jan 12, 2014
    2012 Spider. Got this problem in the rear wheel arch. I suppose this is the same ionization mentioned earlier. Annoying as **** to have this bubbling paint. Any idea if repainting would solve the problem for good?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Attached Files:

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Arrrrrrrrrrrg …. went out right away to my 2012 Italia and am happy that I do not see anything that bad ….

I would recommend that at least you make a full report for FNA and ask them to claim that at the factory … and demand an answer by the factory ...

17. sam Klapholz

sam Klapholz Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    sam Klapholz
  18. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    U sure that isn’t sap?

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Michael Chen

Michael Chen Rookie

Oct 9, 2018

Attached Files:

20. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have seen similar aluminum corrosion on planes usually due to paint prep issues. Not a quick fix. First all corrosion has to be removed/sanded out, followed by an acid wash, acid primer, then normal primer and paint.

I watched the 599 factory production video and it clearly shows the acid bath before priming. I guess sometimes there is some contamination that is not completely removed by the acid bath.

21. jordie999

jordie999 Rookie

Jan 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Justin Kay
    saw 2 cars yesterday 2014 458 spider with 15,000 miles, the other 458 2013, both had bubbling paint, one on the top of the A pillar, the other on the rear quarter. What a pile of S***. Terrible process control from the paint shop in Ferrari, they know they have a problem, just cost way too much to admit it. No different to all the other car manufacturers when they have a known problem are won't admit it due to recall costs!! I am looking for a 458, but will walk away from any car with paint bubbling, it will just keep rearing its ugly head in different places... v sad for such an amazing car.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    happening on the FF and F12s also

23. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I have something similar on the bottom of the passenger side A pillar. Spot the size of a pencil eraser. Hope it stays that size.

24. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I guess this is another reason to get out of these cars before the warranty expires. If Ferrari is not going to stand behind their cars why should we.

25. jordie999

jordie999 Rookie

Jan 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Justin Kay
    I have now looked at 6 cars all 458's from 2012 to 2014. All with approx 15,000 miles on them and all with full Ferrari service history. All of them have bubbling paint to various degrees, seems mainly prevelent on or around the rear wheel arches. Its really pissed me off, but Ime still going to buy one....Ive had 30 yrs of Ducatis so things going wrong is part of the ownership experience......