Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 140 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawaii458

Hawaii458 Rookie

Sep 6, 2017
    Does anyone here have a sense for how long the production run of F8 will be? My dealer feels it's likely to be 3 years, but that's just a guess. I'm considering selling my 458 and moving to an F8. Drove the dealer demo car a few weeks ago and liked it much more than I thought I would.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's been mentioned to be 4 years (as a "regular cycle production model"), but my guess would indeed rather be 3 (2020-2021-2022), with a replacing hybrid V6 coming in 2022 (and maybe unveiled in 2021, since there is now typically about one year between an official unveiling and the first deliveries).
    From a 458 the F8 is a huge leap forward in terms of power, but not so much from a 488 (although it's quite noticeable). It seems the F8 / Pista power may convert some of those despising turbochargers, while the 488 could not.
    The F8 may also be the last of its kind (non-hybrid V8), but that may not be really meaningful...

3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    "True Aussie" offends half the world's population in "the right way." But, please do subscribe. LOL

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #3479 Shadowfax, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Drove F8 on circuit over the course of today. Had a few sessions and plenty of laps so I feel I have a good handle on it. I liked it a lot as a car but as a fun car there is a very significant difference between the Pista. Make no mistake about that - and I direct that to those who have certain expectations. Even though these two share the same engine you'd never know it in the way the engine sounds or delivers power. Pista feels next level everywhere and overall a much more heightened experience as you would expect from a car like this. After today's experience I would have to say I would never buy an F8 over a Pista at any money even though it is a very very beautiful car. I also felt my 488 was more edgy and rewarding to drive than F8 on a circuit....can't recall it being this soft.....or maybe it was.. No doubt F8 is better on the road and is feels more resolved but I don't recall 488 being as soft or with so much roll into the corner. And the extra power of F8 produces a bit more squat and dive too so its easier to unsettle the chassis between aggressive throttle and brake applications. It's is fast - but then so is 488 - but F8 is more refined and, really felt very soft to me for a car with this much power. It'd be a great car to take the wife away in for a few days but no way will it reward like a Pista. I thought F8's sound was reasonable inside but not aggressive in any way like you'd expect from all that power. Outside was also reasonable although quite muted. I would describe it as more of a Turbo S equivalent in terms of driving experience. I don't want to downplay F8 in any negative way as it truly is a great car is so many ways, and no doubt will reward many a driver, but it just does not light that fire in the way the Pista does. Not even close. I'm glad I drove it though. Also loved the Lexan rear window! Very nice. Overall the styling is very appealing in the flesh - a very nice package overall.

sampelligrino, LARRYH, C50 and 5 others like this.
  5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Curious as to how you got access to the F8 and be offered one to drive on a circuit.

6. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Interesting read, thanks for sharing!

Estarreja and Astrid.Didier like this.
  7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    It's summer time there and the living is easy! Plus European clients are also given track time with new Ferrari products. Ferrari takes good care of 'family'.

LARRYH and Shadowfax like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #3483 Coincid, Jan 29, 2020
    I am not aware of any consumer in North America and Europe who has been given the opportunity to track an F8. As a matter of fact, many US dealers have not even received a car to demo and in Canada none have as of yet received an F8 demo car. Simply wondering how Shadowfax was offered the car for testing on a track.

However, I do thank d2worlds for replying on Shadow’s behalf.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. There are demo cars in Los Angeles.

And I believe @Shadowfax is in Australia. Things are different down there. Heck even the toilet water swirls counterclockwise. :D

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Demo cars have been available but not for track testing.

11. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    The Sydney dealership is having there track day test drives of the f8 on the 17th / 18th of February. Received the invite this week.
    So they must have the test cars going around Australian dealerships for track day drives.

Astrid.Didier and Shadowfax like this.
  12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Objective post with real world track experience. Interesting comparison to the Turbo S. My experience with the F8 IRL is that it's like listening to Sennheiser headphones whereas my 458 Spider/GT3/Huracan is like listening to Guns N'Roses live. F8 sounds OK from the inside but muffled outside.

To me the Lexan window looked somewhat cheap and easily prones to scratches and distortion. I'd look into clearbra for the Lexan if it's even possible.

Dealer had a blue demo to test drive but I had to travel for a conference and missed out.

Is a $360K F8 a better proposition than a $190K 2018 low mileage 488 or a $230K Evo RWD? For me it's a no but had hoped to test drive one.

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #3488 Shadowfax, Jan 29, 2020
    Was part of a special private track day event by a well respected entity who was given the car for the day by Ferrari Aus for our exclusive use along with us tracking our own vehicles. The car, now it has been fully run in :D, will see various circuit events around Australia before returning to UK.

PS. Don't worry as I believe you will find F8 drives much better than your current Perf but the purposes of the two cars (Pista and F8) are clearly very well defined - separated. Pista is the drivers car without question not discounting the capability of the F8. It's just a much softer and much more muted experience. If you don't drive Pista you should be fine with it although it definitely wont sound anything like your Perf if sound is a big part of your equation. But I would describe it as a very capable well sorted car but much more toned down and refined in ways that cancels out those elements and driving sensations you may be accustomed to. I liken it to a Turbo S in the sense where it is very capable all rounder and usable in a DD sense but a special occasion drive car - outside of its stunning looks - it falls well short from what some of may expect from a car you'd take for that "drive" or track day.

PPS Surfah the Lexan window on this car felt like it as made of same material as Pista's rear window and was pretty good to see out of and looked pretty durable to me. Although maybe it was the more expensive version I've heard some of you guys talk about is available as a high cost option. I really liked the lexan glass and saw it as a big part of the overall rear look.

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    that Evo RWD is a an interesting proposition.

LARRYH and Astrid.Didier like this.
  15. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    #3490 Astrid.Didier, Jan 29, 2020
    I was told exactly the same, that the F8 is quiet soft/comfort and a very friendly car comparing to the Pista or even both * the 488 and the 458.

Personally I would prefer the F8 over the Pista for the above mentioned reason, but it's just me, BUT of-course I know most true Ferrari's enthusiasts like Mr. Shadowfax would prefer the Pista to any other Ferrari even to the 812 SF !

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Looks like the Pista was the correct choice. Well done !

Ill get the chance to drive the F8 also but im not a track person. So given that , apart from the different styling is there any real merit to change to it given the low values of the 488 GTB ?

17. Where, my friend, are you finding 488s in the 190K range? Regardless of mileage, especially low mileage ones.

18. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    #3493 Astrid.Didier, Jan 29, 2020
    Mr. Shadowfax is living in Australia (it's summer now), he is a true Ferrari's enthusiasts, and probably one of Ferrari's most valuable clients in Australia, * he can get access to ANYTHING not just a regular F8 ! ;)

19. Lexan on the Pista is a non-issue.

People who complain about the rear Lexan (on either the Pista or the F8) are the same folks who can't get over the door handles or the keyhole on the cars.
    Y'know, those people. :D

20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Doubt you will regret it. Have enjoyed dailying my 580-2 this past year, 3000 memorable miles. Always an event to drive, never get bored of the blinding Rosso Mars paint. I had a 610-4 before, personally prefer the RWD driving dynamics.

I believe you drive a Gen 2 NSX, if so the RWD Evo will provide a nice complimentary drive or change of pace.

From a value proposition, the new option packages for the Evo RWD are attractive although might be restricted to the Spyder.

Lifestyle Pack $1,600.00
    Includes:
    Anti-Theft System
    Lamborghini Smartphone Interface
    Lifting System
    3-year Maintenance Package
    Vanir 19" Rims
    Cup Holder & Smokers Package

Drivers Pack $3,200.00
    Carbon Ceramic Brakes
    Magnetorheological Suspension (LMS)

Lifestyle & Drivers Pack $4,800.00

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This is true.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal tastes, expectations and what one expects in a car of this pedigree and nature. Both cars serve their purposes very well.

Thanks - my tastes have evolved since 488 to where Pista is definitely a far better fit for me personally.

Hard to say there. For sure 488's can be had for much less money and are a bargain. F8 is visually the better looking car packaged up correctly and feels more resolved/polished up in certain areas but all that may not matter or substitute for the significant saving depending upon you expect out of the overall driving experience really. If money wasn't an issue and you were prepared for the inevitable depreciation then i'd say it would be hard to pass up on the F8 being the later car.

of2worlds and Astrid.Didier like this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree. Can't see it as being an issue at all unless the standard version is of less quality. I wouldn't mind putting that Lexan glass on my Pista and will inquire if it can be done once it becomes available as a spare part.

23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Was just my first impression. I've spent hours detailing and maintaing the glass Transparent Engine Bonnet on my 2 Huracans from the inside and out.

Lexan just seems less durable/easier to scratch. Not an expert by any means.

Search is your friend. These are asking prices, as more F8's are delivered watch the depreciation curve accelerate.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=90210&maxPrice=227000&maxMileage=10000&showNegotiable=false&sourceContext=untrackedWithinSite_false_0&distance=50000&ratings=2&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2333

If I paid thousands over MSRP on a Pista, I'd prolly have a higher tolerance for the Lexan too:D

24. Hmm, all of those are 2016 (with two 2017s) and not 2018.

And granted the ask versus the sale price are never coterminous, I have yet to see any 2018 488s change hands for 190K.

Just as one data point, I just recently sold my 2018 488 (with about 8k on the ODO) for much more than 190K (and this was to a dealer, not a private party).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    The car has been available for track testing in Dubai since December 2019 !!! It's too different from a place to another! even the price of the cars!

Here's a video from Dubai, a well known Arab YouTuber while tracking the F8 in last December. * Sorry I couldn't find any translation for the video anywhere! but it's quite interesting!

SoCal to az likes this.