Kobe Bryant Loved Ferraris article | FerrariChat

Kobe Bryant Loved Ferraris article

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Agostinho, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    So who cares, they all love Ferraris, and its got nothing to do with anything other than those guys who run up and down a wooden floor with a rubber ball in their hands, can afford to buy one.

3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Hundreds of millions of people care.

4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Why?

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, Kobe's relationship with Ferrari is more than casual. It goes back to his time as a child in Italy and extended all the way until his very tragic death. Ferrari was one of his passions.

That's why.

Its not a reason to like him or not like him or morn him or not care.

Its part of who he was. Saying so is like saying someone had a passion for art or writing or movie making.

Your "why" might as well apply to any of us.

6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Why do we care about anything?

The man was an inspiration for an entire generation on and off the court. His accomplishments don't stop on a "wooden floor". He did a lot of charitable work with his foundation and led a wildly successful venture capital firm.

He wasn't perfect but nobody is...but to brush his accomplishments aside with a "nobody cares" is ignorant at best.

The impact on people around the world of his untimely death is on the same level (or likely much higher) than Ayrton Senna.

Just wait for his funeral turn out and then come back here and say "nobody cares".

7. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Many have accomplished and sacrificed far more than he, only to pass way too early with minimal fanfare.

I did learn only recently that he was a Ferrari guy from childhood, which is really cool! Very sad and very tragic that he died so young. Even moreso the two 13 year olds on the flight. Horribly sad.

The level of celebrity idol worshipping, though, both in life and death is bizarre and WAY over the top. I imagine I knew him about as well as most others (not at all), but amazingly have managed to go on with my life without missing work, meals or anything else.

Kevin

Asif163, stavura, JCR and 1 other person like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Often the best people in the world are unsung heroes and vice versa.

Even though nobody sheds a tear for Norman Borlaug, that doesn't mean Kobe didn't have a positive influence on many people, even if it is 'superficial' emotional esteem.

Now missing work, meals, etc - besides folks close to him, I don't known anybody in my circle of Laker fans that have that level of grief.

tres55 and IloveGT like this.
  9. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    So I clicked on the link to read the “article.” The autoweek “article” is pretty shameless. Feels like an undeveloped piece of click-bate, trying to drive up views to increase ad revenue. Glad I cancelled my subscription to autoweek when they went to a biweekly.

95spiderman likes this.
  10. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Possibly. I think even that is pushing it. I think this is more the sequela of our absurd fascination with celebrity culture than any true positive influence from his actions on or off the court.

Kevin

Asif163, paulchua and IloveGT like this.
  11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #11 IloveGT, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Your emotion is understandable but I hope it did not blind you from honest assessment of other historical figures with far greater acheivement to better human kind.

Plus I was not the one saying nobody cares. My questions was to your statement of "hundreds of millions care", that to me seems very much, what is the right word, an exaggeration or simply a hyperbole. US population is 330 millions. The entire US cares about Kobe's death? I don't think that is plausible by logics. I say this not to trivialize Kobe's achievement as a basketball star but simply recognize him as such.

In any case, the only persons that lost the whole world are the daughters and family. My condolences to them. Whoever feel sad about losing your idol, I am sorry too, but you need to move on and focus more on your family instead.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What you speak is truth, Kim Kardashian?

Kobe though did some really hearwarming stuff like this though.

13. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I really like that. I think I like it even more because I didn't know anything about it!! (The way it should be. Good for him.)

Kevin

14. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Did you notice he had a Ferrari logo put on the helicopter he chartered (same one that crashed).

Zoom in on the side.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I don't think you grasp the reach that Kobe had. It transcended basketball let alone the USA. He is on the level of Michael Jordan for a generation around the world. You don't need to get that from me just ask any drafted ball player in the last 10 years or even more, from an international setting, who inspired them. Very high probability they would say Kobe.

Hundreds of millions isn't an exaggeration. He was/is massive in China and India, Europe, and so on. He was a global phenomenon.

As for other historical figures with far greater achievements, I'm not contesting that...but none of them likely had anywhere near the reach that Kobe had. He mattered to many and that's why his death is such a big deal around the world.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  16. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    That dude was a giant...

paulchua and IloveGT like this.
  17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #17 IloveGT, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    It's okay. We just have different views of world. Did you grow up watching Kobe played?

In all honesty, let me put some perspectives for you. Steve Jobs effect on the world through Apple is at a different level than Kobe. There is a good chance you are using the product years after his death. I pick this person because I surmise that you would understand the comparison easier. The effect to human kind obviously mean differently to different person and one of the criteria obviously is how big the world is to the person.

This is never about Kobe at all who was just a basketball player. You could also argue that JFK was also just a president for a country, but you know the difference right?

So when you said "As for other historical figures with far greater achievements, I'm not contesting that...but none of them likely had anywhere near the reach that Kobe had", I sincerely suggest you read more biographies of other historical figures.

I am off my soap box now because I am not interested to argue with you anymore about how cool Kobe was as a basketball player, and his so called reach is more likely a product of internet. I rather argue who should have won the Nobel for fiber optics along with Kao. I can't even imagine the world today without the reach of fiber optics from before.

Ciao.

tres55 and Boomhauer like this.
  18. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm not arguing the fact that many are behaving very traumatized by his death. I just find it bizarre.

You all enjoyed watching him play basketball. (I know there are other positive things he did, but not widely known, and certainly not the cause of this fanatical response) Yes, lots of people around the world enjoyed watching him play basketball. And it is extremely sad and tragic that he died. But his death is no more profound than the other 8 people on board, and I would argue substantially less so than the two 13 year olds on board.

This is simply a response to idol worship from those who enjoyed watching a guy play a sport at nearly the highest level. His reach and effect on most people was that they enjoyed sitting on the couch and eating Cheetos while watching him play a sport. (Most people did not play basketball at a high level or see themselves drafted into the NBA, and certainly not a high percentage of people responding to this in such an emotional fashion)

Perhaps I would have a much different response if I was a sports/entertainment fanatic or idol worshipper myself.

Kevin

19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I am not by any means a sports fanatic. I can however appreciate the work ethic and motivation the very best at their fields have...and that is in my opinion what made Kobe who he was around the world. It was his relentless drive and pursuit of perfection that many idolized...many that rarely watch basketball at all (myself included in that camp).

I agree there are countless more people out there that have accomplished far more for mankind than Kobe likely ever would...but I highly doubt very many of those people motivated and inspired people to push themselves to be the best at what they do like Kobe did either.

20. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I understand your point. I just don't feel that you are accurate. I think they just adored him because he was a superstar. Idol worshipping. I'm just not convinced that these tens or hundreds of millions of people have pushed themselves to be the best at anything because of his influence.

Perhaps your interactions with people in life have been different/better than mine. I don't see this positive behavior generally in society. I sincerely hope that you are right and I am wrong. I just don't see this in our modern culture.

Kevin

21. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    there's a whole world beyond North America
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1806298-the-crazy-scary-stories-of-kobe-bryants-insane-popularity-in-china
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28573196/in-europe-asia-fans-politicians-remember-kobe-bryant-sudden-death

also why should we care about Senna, Ali, Lennon, etc. They inspired others to be better.

I read this some years back and I'd lying if I say that didn't inspire me to work/study harder.
    http://www.willpowered.co/learn/what-we-can-learn-from-kobe-bryant

skip to 2:00

tres55 likes this.
  22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    what Ferraris did he have? imagine spiders to fit his height