Mondial 8 Clutch Slave Cylinder Repair | FerrariChat

Mondial 8 Clutch Slave Cylinder Repair

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NeedSpace, Jan 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    #1 NeedSpace, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    A few months ago, I go out to my car to enjoy the beautiful day. Started it right up and went to put in gear and the clutch drops to the floor with little effort. It also stayed on the floor and didn't return to first position. Crap. A little investigative work and I saw hydraulic fluid on the ground between the front of the engine and the rear seat fire wall.

Upon closer inspection, the clutch slave cylinder was leaking. Keep in mind, I had never heard of a clutch slave cylinder before. I located a replacement from AW Italian autoparts (good people here) and was ready for the repair. All in it wasn't very hard to do, from 1-10 with 10 being hardest, I'd give it 2-3.

Removing the pin from the clutch arm was difficult. It wouldn't budge. I used a special clamp I have that looks like a fork with a screw in the middle (sorry no pic). it allowed for me to screw the pin out of the connection.

The rubber boot was shot on old one. The rubber boot on the original piece was wrong, so I called AW and they sent me a new one. You will note the collar is still on the old one. Other than that the parts looked identical.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The new cylinder had a different pin. It took some careful coaxing, but I got the new piece out and replaced with the original. Here you can see the original pin in the new cylinder. Here it is also with the collar on it ready to install.

Here it is installed. Attaching it didn't take too much effort

Here it is connecting the clutch arm to the cylinder pin. Putting it together was far easier than taking it apart.

After it was all in, I topped off the fluid. I bled it like you would brakes using the bleed screw on top of the cylinder and we were back in business.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Nice. Sounds like sourcing replacements that actually work has improved.

NeedSpace likes this.
  3. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    Nice job. Was bleeding easy to do?

4. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Yes, quite easy. Ironically, easier than bleeding the brakes as I didn't have to reach around the wheels. :)

5. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Agreed. It was a little bumpy needing the correct boot but it was an easy switch. Given how few of these were made, I sort of expect a little trouble sourcing parts. My 911 and my mercedes are pretty easy as they were made in abundance, but my figaro is quite difficult. Comes with the territory.

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    That's good, because if you keep the car, you're likely to have to change it again.

It is possible also to just change the seal. But that's a little bit harder. You can probably find some old threads about that here.

Also, when the brake fluid leaks onto some metal parts, it will burn off the rust coating. So make sure and clean that up and respray it so the parts won't rust.

7. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Congrats on correctly diagnosing and correcting the problem. In my case I opted to rebuild my original one by replacing the rubber o-ring.

8. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    The clutch slave cylinder on my 1986 3.2 had a similar leak. I started noticing the brake warning light coming on that indicated low brake fluid and around that time I noticed the clutch acting funny. My clutch finally went completely flat and I took it into my repair shop. The repair went well and I found out later that the brake fluid and clutch fluid system are connected, one in the same so you might want to make sure there is not any air bubbles in your brake lines. If the brake fluid (hydraulic fluid) got low enough from the clutch slave cylinder failing or when you disconnected the old one...... it might have introduced air bubbles into the system.

NeedSpace likes this.
  9. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    AndruL......you amaze me! You are always rebuilding, taking apart and re-manufacturing. Often its from scratch. I wish I had that kind of courage.

10. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    ah good to know. thanks for the pointer...

11. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    I haven't notice any difference in braking but i;ll check.. Thanks!

12. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    I thought about that/ I kept my old cylinder Maybe I'll buy a new boot and o ring and keep it on the read. How may years would you expect?

13. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Thanks, jkstevens2. I just don't like paying the exuberant "Ferrari tax" until I exhausted the effort myself.

14. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    The "replacement unit" that I had (same as yours) only lasted me 2 years with <2000 miles until it started leaking again. This time I decided to rebuild the original myself. Time will tell how long this one will last...

15. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Yikes, let's hope this won't be my continuous repair!

16. Wibragal

Wibragal Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    WILLIAM brand
    Hello gentlemen, new here, I bought a 1982 Mondial 8, it needs tons of love, the car has been seating for long time, engine is running, just changed spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc it got a lot better, but I was ready for a quick drive and I noticed the clutch pedal went down to the floor without engaging and I didn't n try to put on first gear, I went to check the front where the clutch fluid goes and it is completely empty, no leaks at all, it may be like this for long time, question, is it possible to lose complete the clutch because the deposit is empty? Should I look for another issue? Can you recommend which fluid do you use? Many thanks, this is my first post but for sure it won't be the only one

17. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Hi, William, welcome to the club !! We all went there...and yes, with love you can recuperate that car. Try first to put fluid in to the reservoir...brake fluid Dot 3 or Dot 4 will do just fine. Pump the pedal (but not completely to the floor) to remove air from the system. There is a little valve on top of the slave cilinder to release the air and that slave cilinder you find next to the bell housing left side (from behind) of the engine.
    Reason can be empty reservoir...but also 1 of the 2 seals inside the master that went bad. The front donut seal in particular because there is no oil leak you say.

18. Wibragal

Wibragal Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    WILLIAM brand
    thank you for your advise, I will follow your instructions and I will revert back with results, out of curiosity, does the hand break has to something to do with this? is it related to the clutch? because I was removing the hand break trying to release it because it was engaged (tires were stuck) but with no option to release it with the handle, seems not working properly, so I removed 4 screws and under the handle I used a screwdriver to move it the teeth all the way down to the position in which the hand brake is not engaged, right after that I noticed the clutch pedal issue and you know the rest of the story.

THANKS A MILLION

19. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    No, handbrake has nothing to do....its not related one to one other. To release the handbrake, did you push the button while pushing the lever up and then down ?
    Handbrake of this model 8 and later QV is'nt the greatest Ferrari produced...long wires, corroded levers. Best to take all off and check the items, re-install with grease and tune up at the rear calipers.

20. Wibragal

Wibragal Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    WILLIAM brand
    Guido, I followed the instructions and clutch is back to normal, thanks you so much

Brooklands likes this.
  21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Glad it works again. You have to check if the slave cilinder is leaking. I change the slave seal every 2 years to avoid leaking.