575 front hood struts | FerrariChat

575 front hood struts

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tifosi_, Apr 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I just took my 575 out of winter storage and it appears that my front hood struts, which were working fine and supporting the hood prior to winter storage, are not able to support the weight of the hood any longer. Is this a common problem with the 575? Do you have any idea how much it costs to repair or replace the struts?

Clyde

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  3. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Thanks again Taz, as usual you are a wealth of information. I'm glad they're not expensive and easy to install.
    Clyde

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    My hood struts are always a bit weak during the winter months. They regain their strength when the weather warms up a bit.

5. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Let the weather warm up a little and they should go back to normal. When I sent my 550 in this winter for service, when it came back and I put it back on the battery tender, they wouldn't stay up. I called the service techs at FoD and asked about that, and they said that was very normal and they should work again once the weather warms up.

6. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    I wonder how many other 550/575 parts are affected by the weather? I know the a/c works fine in the winter and the heater works fine in the summer.
    MTBF of the struts seems to be 6 months.
    Really, why do we put up with it!
    Ron

7. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Do you really have to ask that question Ron?
    Clyde

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Interestingly I brought my 575 in for the Spring refresh (after winter storage) this morning and the mechanic told me that as I've been advised here, the strut issue is quite normal on a cold 575. He said older struts had that problem but not the newer ones (I guess on the newer Ferraris). He told me that if the car has been driving and is warm they would be ok, and that when the temperature gets warmer in Toronto (its 12C or 54F today and was about 4C or 39F last night when I tried it) it will not be a problem either.

9. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Exactly: the cold weather affects the gas charge the same way it affects the pressure in the tires.

10. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've noticed the cold weather phenomenon as well. I'm going to change them anyway since they are original and aging.

11. rgm35

rgm35 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    Valley Forge, Naples
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Changed mine on my 2002 575 at roughly 30,000 miles - not that it is a mileage issue. It was August in Pennsylvania. Doubt it was the cold weather affecting them.

12. DONRON

DONRON Karting

Dec 21, 2012
    Westchester County
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Did mine last year aswell it was the most inexpensive part on the car

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    A time delayed thank you to posters on this thread, which popped up when I googled why my 575 engine compartment shocks seemed feeble last week. Time will tell whether warm weather will cure them but at least all options are outlined here, many thanks

14. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Darius, it took all of 10 minutes to swap both of mine on a 456M. Couldn't be simpler if yours are still weak in the spring.

15. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I bought the struts from Ricambi. One minute each to change each side. Just pound out (gently) the old ones and snap in the new ones.

JSP likes this.