Why Are So Many Forum Members Apologizing | FerrariChat

Why Are So Many Forum Members Apologizing

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ShadowLAP, Feb 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I joined FChat in mid-2017 and am noticing a trend where many people end their new posts with an apology for asking the question.

I do not understand why so many people feel they need to apologize for asking questions on a Forum which is established for communication and conversations?

Just my observation.

Jordan68 likes this.
  2. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It is just that way on about all forums. Likely just a courtesy thinking the question has been asked before

ScottS, BJK and ShadowLAP like this.
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I feel like I do that when I go to new forums or am new to a topic and know a newbie. Especially when you aren't familiar with a new community. Not sure if people gun-shy from the old users that will attack them for stupid question or not searching?

docster, Gh21631 and ShadowLAP like this.
  4. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    forums in general are quite harsh and people expect to be hammered, so they apologize in advance

Ash Patel, stavura, Boomhauer and 5 others like this.
  5. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Since this is my first Ferrari I know I will be asking a lot of questions here....I'm sorry

of2worlds and tomc like this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m sorry that so many are apologizing. Truly sorry.

:)

Sami and ShadowLAP like this.
  7. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I'm actually sorry I started this discussion. ;)

Actually, it is a serious question as I just do not feel that people need to apologize for asking a question. Now maybe it is dumb if they ask the same question twice but not the first time. We all start out as newbie's and I am very grateful for all of the info that I receive from this Forum. It has provided a wealth of education for me as well as information that helps me enjoy my Ferrari to the max.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    You bring up a subject that I think about a lot. So many people are quick to criticize (or worse) with their key boards, that would not dare say face to face to that person. If you read many long threads they often deteriorate into personal attacks and arguments, someone inevitably gets offended. So, when someone has a question, they often start by apologizing in advance.

You are absolutely right, the forum is to ask questions and be treated with respect. Even if the question has been asked before, even if the question appears to be "dumb", it doesn't warrant personal attacks and degrading responses.

Yes, everyone must start as a novice, a beginner, without knowledge. Everyone.

9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I'm ok with being degraded as long as I get answer. Almost asked what might of been a dumb question today. I was going to ask if there was a way to use radio functions like being able to change station or skip to next song on Spotify when that screen isnt in radio or media mode. I looked in the manual quickly but found nothing on radio, then looked at the smaller reference book and low and behold there are buttons behind steering that i had no idea of :).

of2worlds and ShadowLAP like this.
  10. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    yeah I recently discovered those hidden buttons too

scott61 likes this.
  11. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I blame sales guy for not telling me about them when he was going over car with me. Very happy though, my Lotus Evora 400 has no radio controls on wheel and neither did my Huracan

12. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    One of my first posts here got the reply “use the search button “. It’s that type of assinine response which makes people feel like they’re doing something wrong.

bluesea, Thecadster and ShadowLAP like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m sorry, but what the hell are you talking about?
    :)

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Huh! Chuck Norris shy?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    elsewhere

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    #16 soulsea, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m sorry. I think it may have been my post that started it.

And I think someone may have already said that same thing. Sorry.

And now I have edited this. I’m thinking maybe I’m too late to the discussion but if I delete it, somebody may have already replied to my post and that would reflect badly on me and maybe make someone upset. We can’t have anyone upset so I’m truly sorry for even posting anything at all!

18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I’m sorry I made fun of you and your family camping out in front of the dealership until your Pista came in .......
    Wait a minute.... no I’m not. It was funny bro . :) View attachment 2891581

italiafan likes this.
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This^^^

I totally agree. I would point out that many good contributors are new or newish and those individuals may well have missed being able to weigh in on relevant previous threads. Additionally, it’s easy to miss a post/thread in the some of the busier sub-forums. I personally never begrudge someone for asking a question that has been previously treated. I also think the mods do a bang up job in merging same topic, similarly timed original threads. That makes for a better user experience.

Only bad question is the question not asked. And shame on us for intentionally, or even unwittingly, making someone feel bad for asking a redundant or “dumb” question.

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I love how you put just one more "s" there. Lol.

21. hardhattg

hardhattg Karting

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    timothy gould
    I think so many start with an apology because they fear the inevitable , now common response by a few that “ this has been discussed before just search for answers “. These people are missing the whole point of an Internet forum which at its best promotes a feeling of inclusion and brotherhood and maybe even friendship. Not to mention an up to the minute possible answer / solution to the posters questions.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Gotta say this - internet is the worst place in life to feel belong, let alone inclusion, brotherhood and even friendship. Too many children were killed, raped and mutilated for the exact belief and fake reward by internet.

Mate, if you really are coming to internet for feeling included, I am sorry. Being a Ferrari owner and talking to another Ferrari owner is simply that and no more than that.

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have been on car forums a long time, and I always try to answer peoples questions about cars since I probably know a lot more about them than most. I do apologize at times because I have been known to offend people (without even realizing it), especially when they are asking about things that do not make sense to me. I have seen members on this forum (and others) who have no patience for new users, even though they are fairly new themselves. Though some new users ask a question and then you never see them again, that seems to be an annoyance to some members. I have found that the people on here are for the most part genuinely helpful to those seeking information, or advise. I have recommended this forum to many people over the years who wanted to learn more about cars.

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. hardhattg

hardhattg Karting

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    timothy gould
    Wow ! I whole heartedly disagree. I am a member of a few forums for car brands that I own and they have all lead to long term quality friendships , either with other owners or service people or sales people , club memberships , attending events etc.

I really can’t imagine a car forum site like Ferrari chat being responsible for children being killed , raped and mutilated. .

Again wow !

25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    You were talking about internet overall per your own post. Yes, after you meet individual in person, then continuing the relationship through conversation on the forum is very different from coming to the " Internet forum which at its best promotes a feeling of inclusion and brotherhood and maybe even friendship."

You know that the difference between your first post and subsequent explanation, right? Your first post just sound naive at best.

By the way, do you really call somebody whom you never met in person but just online your real friend, after certain period of time. Maybe your definition of friendship, inclusion and brotherhood is really different from mine.