488 - Sometimes Air blow hot before it goes cold | FerrariChat

488 Sometimes Air blow hot before it goes cold

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by flifer, Feb 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sometimes when I turn the AC on it starts blowing super hot for about a minute or two before it cools down (which is horrible in hot Florida)

Even with the AC turned completely off I will notice every now and then hot air coming out of the vents, which the only way to remedy it is to turn the AC on and feel the wrath of super-hot air blowing in my face until it starts to blow cold again, at that point I can turn the AC off and the hot air will stop coming out of the vents and everything is normal again.

Any insights?

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Look at your settings. If its in recirculation mode you shouldn't have any air coming from the vent.

Also look at You tube how HVAC works , it will give you a better understanding

3. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This happens when AC is on auto where recirculation gets automatically selected.... I've never had an HVAC in a car acted like this before, It seems to have a mind of its own as it happens even when everything is turned off.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Turn off the auto

5. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As described above it still happens even with the AC completely off...

I may not be a genius, but I'm pretty sure I know how to use an AC... You turn it on and it blows cold, you turn it off, and well... it's supposed to turn off! :)

My AC unit can be completely off and all of a sudden some hot air will start blowing the cabin... I turn the AC on and it can be set to recirculate, auto, fan, pretty much any mode, and it will start blowing hot for approximately 30-60 seconds until it blows cold.

If I don't turn it on it'll keep creeping hot air into the cabin... This happens maybe 1 out of 20 times I drive so it's not something the dealer could easily replicate.

6. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Just a WAG -- sounds like the defroster is being activated when it shouldn't be. In my 488, as in most cars, when you push the defrost button, you get hot, air conditioned air. You might try fiddling with the defroster button and see if there's any change. Let us know what you find.