Belt Date Codes/Belt Shelf Life? | FerrariChat

Belt Date Codes/Belt Shelf Life?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gumart1, Feb 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gumart1

Gumart1 Karting

Dec 22, 2010
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Changing the belts on my 360. Thanks to the forum I know how to understand production dates on the belts. Question is - what is acceptable in terms of shelf life age on a new belt? Should I be insisting on production dates of at least 2019+? I'm thinking, even if I know when I changed the belts...if I happen to sell, the buyer will judge it's life by the date code.

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Of course the newer the better is ideal. Assuming cool/dry storage, they should be good for quite a few years.
    Your buyer won't really have any easy way to know what the date is on timing belts.

Gumart1 likes this.
  3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #3 Meister, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    I researched this a little myself at one point having bought some belts in 2015 and they still weren't on the car in 2018.... From memory, googling the topic I came up with 2 maybe 3 year shelf life (per the manufacture) relayed as second hand info via the internet. Common sense says its probably much longer than that if stored safely/properly. Best just to straight up call the manufacture of the belt. As for a buyer judging by the date code on the belt, an invoice showing when you bought the belts and/or some other pics/documentation related to the actual installation date should satisfy most would be buyers.

Gumart1 likes this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Check with Dayco. iirc is was like a 8 year shelf life. Personally, I buy from Ricambi get fresher Ferrari labeled dayco belts.

tbakowsky likes this.
  5. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Agree.... Buy them from Ricambi...Keep the receipt in your file as recorded proof and well worth the few extra dollars that they might be. That Ferrari horse printed right on the belt is huge from a perception standpoint.... And their parts are always fresh.

6. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Correction.... The word Ferrari, not the Ferrari emblem printed on the Belt!

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    mwr4440 likes this.
  8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    And even the bearings have a 'shelf life.'

It is somewhat shorter than many would think.

I was surprised by SKFs recommend max period of 5 years (IIRC).

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Tires are very similar construction and the tire manufacturers give them a life of 5-6 years total. How old of a tire would you accept from tire rack?

I don't install belts more than a year old.