Garage set up | FerrariChat

Garage set up

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by chris0315, Feb 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Hey y'all!
    I'm about to buy my rudimentary set up for my garage.
    I'm looking for race floor panels and as a huge fan of snap-on, I most likely want to built up my essential tool box with their tools.

For starters, what can you guys recommend for car jack and wheel tools?
    Torque wrench and nuts? Just the basic set up.

Pictures appreciated, I'll update with mine when I'm further in progress!

Thx!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I use aluminium floor jacks from Harbor Freight (1.5 and 2.0 ton) and BLOXSPORT M14x1.5 1 Piece Wheel Hanger Lug Bolt Guide tool to help guide my wheels when remounting them. Wheel Hangers are available from Amazon. Harbor Freight also sells a 22m Lug Bolt socket that has a plastic covering that helps protect the wheel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

chris0315 likes this.
  3. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I'd recommend getting a lift. Cheap enough and sooooo nice when working on my cars.

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Definitely get a lift if it fits in your garage! Get the biggest that fits, it helps you work much more comfortably, and load the car easier. Also get the rolling jacks, this way it can be lifted off of the runways for removal of wheels. The floor is Motofloor snap together plastic from Costco. Very easy to install, fairly cheap, and very durable. mine still looks like it's in very good condition and I've had it about 10 years now.
    Here's a photo of mine back 2 or 3 years ago, when I still had my 360.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    Looks sweet!
    Can't do lift right now since we only live here for two years or so.
    However, thanks for the lead with the Costco plates. I'll check them out!
    What tool storage are you using?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Nice looking garage. What lift system is that?

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The tool box was from Lowes. It's a Kobalt and I really like it! It really is good quality for a Kobalt, it's very heavy and drawers feel very good, strong and smooth. It also has a radio, and a small refrigerator built in it! (a little gimmicky, but I actually really like it)
    The cabinetry on the right wall was also from Costco, but to be honest, I don't like those too much. They look great, and are functional, but I feel like the hinges, and fasteners seem too small for a heavy duty application like a garage. I have not actually had any issues, but I'm careful with them. I think that if someone is rough with their stuff, they won't last very long.

chris0315 likes this.
  8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #8 up4speed, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Thanks!
    It's a "Direct lift". I REALLY love that lift! Direct lift is owned by Dover company, I think they also made Rotary lifts. I purchased it from Greg Smith Equipment.
    I bought this model, It's extra long, extra wide, and extra high. https://directlift.com/product/pro-park-9-plus/ It's wide, so no worries about centering exactly, or worries about hitting mirrors. You can practically drive up on it while blindfolded.
    It's much easier to use, and more comfortable than the smaller models.
    The most important part to look for when purchasing a lift is to make sure that it is ALI/ETL Certified. If it doesn't have that certification, I wouldn't stand under it. That doesn't mean that the lift isn't strong, or safe. It just means that the company didn't want to invest the large amount of money to do the testing just to prove it.
    However, if they didn't prove it to me, why should I risk standing under it when others are available that DID prove it?
    I also love my rolling jacks (I bought 2), so I can lift the car off of the ramps for tire, or brake work, Etc. If you work on your own cars, it's a must. I looked on the site, and they don't have the rolling one anymore, it seems like they only carry the sliding one. I'm not sure why? The sliding ones are harder to move around, but should also work fine. https://directlift.com/product/pro-jack-4500/

9. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Agreed. This is my garage shortly after I finished refurbishing it in 2015. Reframe garage to give 13-1/2 feet of clearance in the center, 2-coat epoxy floor, BendPak HD9 lift with drip trays to hold the oil dripping out of every orifice in the '63 Austin Healey on the lift over the 2008 Scuderia, Vault built-in tool/ storage cabinets (I absolutely love these), HVAC, garage door with lift master jack-shaft opener, 8 recessed lights with 75W LED lights, 220V service, Ingersoll-Rand air compressor.

10. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I do need the roller jacks. If buying a lift they make it complete.

up4speed likes this.
  11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 up4speed, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Looks great. I love the cabinets! The lift you got was the other one I was contemplating. If I remember correctly, I went with the one I got because it was longer, wider, and taller (I had the room, so why not). I also got the Jackshaft opener, as well as the IR ss5L5 compressor (it's a BEAST). For a/c and heat, I decided on a mini split system. And for lighting, I went with ten 4 bulb T8 fixtures. Unfortunately, they didn't have appropriate LED fixtures when I built the garage, so they are Fluorescent. In the cold, they are dim for about 5 or 6 minutes, it's annoying.

12. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, Chris. By the way, do you use drip trays and can you fit them with the roller jacks installed? Maybe if you roll the roller jacks all the way to the rear when not in use to fit the drip trays ahead of them?

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I move my jacks to an area where there is no chance of oil dripping and put the drip trays in front and back of each of the jacks

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

14. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Dom. My Healy leaks from stem to stern. Lol

15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I typically don't use them because I don't use my lift for double parking. The few times I did park one car above the other (friends car, etc.), I pushed them in a position that will definitely not have leaks, and I filled the rest of the exposed areas with the drip trays.