Help! Removing the joint from the axle | FerrariChat

Help! Removing the joint from the axle

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nuno Andrade, Feb 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Fchaters
    I’m doing the cv joints (boots). I already went thru the nightmare of the bolts but now I’m stuck with the joint in the axle. I removed the snap ring but the joint does not want to come out of the axle. Am I missing something here? Is this normal? Any ideas how to release it?

Thanks Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Push down and take the balls out as I recall.

3. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Are you following the birdman write up?

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    A bit hard to type it, but:

Remove the flange+boot from the joint. Push and rotate the axle to extremes, and the balls will come out.

From this point, you need to support the inner race on the sides, then can use a combination of a center punch + a hammer to knock the axle out of the race. How hard you have to hit it, will vary. One of mine was easy while the other was fighting me with every strike.

Nuno Andrade likes this.
  5. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Yeap

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The issue comes from small burrs being present where the (machined) snap-ring groove intersects the (machined) spline teeth. Haven't done this in many decades, but, if you are replacing the boots anyway, I think you might be able to cut away the old boot away and then get enough access to use a soft punch to tap the inner race piece past the burrs.

7. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
  8. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Why fight it, see if the other side comes apart, if so just slide the boot on from it.
    Real frustration comes from trying to get those balls back in the cage.
    Good luck

9. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Think of it like one of those metal or wood brain teasers puzzles were you have to twist and pull at the same time but it will only go together in a specific order. You will not need to force it in any way.

Also, when I did mine I re-assembled the pieces with out grease to verify everything was going to be smooth. If it feels like it grinds, flip the outer ring over 180* and it should be smooth.

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Inner race seizing to the shaft happens when the grease goes bye bye and it thermally welds itself on via friction. It will come apart but requires a heavy press, then you replace the CV joint. There are other ways it gets stuck, I've seen some held in place with loctite.. yeah go figure.
    The joint is held in place with a C clip and Belleville washer that acts as a spring, a thin coating of moly or high temp grease on the splines before assy makes getting to apart later much easier.
    Also careful with hitting the inner race directly with a hammer, they tend to explode and shatter when hit hard enough.