Coronavirus live update | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Coronavirus live update

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Now Dr's are saying 70% of people in the USA will get covid19, what I'm about to say might sound crazy but there is some logic to it.

Would I be better off getting it now vs later when a large part of the population has it?

I'd think I would be better off getting it as soon as possible then getting it with hospitals overflowing, stores closed etc.

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    PGA cancelled for now.

3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Surely 70% is the worst case scenario? that would be over 4 mio deaths @ 3% mortality.....very unlikely

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    no one knows if people will get reinfected either so best to stay healthy as long as possible. do not try to outthink things like that. very dangerous

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Source?

6. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Even if you recover you could have permanent lung damage.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Most coronavirus cases are mild. It's highly unlikely everyone with symptoms will be tested. The largest hospital system in town where I work (its' a university btw) said they are only testing those with symptoms AND travel history and not just symptoms alone even if contact with a traveler (they told them to self-quarantine if that's the case like Justin Troudeau just did to himself). The real number of cases will be under-reported, which makes the mortality rate look higher as only the very sick will get tested going forward.

8. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Everyone should watch this 15-minute video, there is a link on the page for the entire interview, I just keep hearing these stats over and over by the top leading infections diseases experts.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Italy about to overtake China with the number of active cases

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #411 freshmeat, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    that only means the point of inflection is imminent ie end of exponential growth. the crazy numbers chipg is worried about is based on an infinite exponential growth which is an impossibility unless he sees 100% of the population being infected and then getting reinfected.

A lot of mild cases will also vastly go unreported because well, they’re mild.

Ferrari 308 GTB and ChipG like this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    It looks to be taking a month for a country to reach flattening of their growth curve for reported cases (not all, just reported). I expect reported US cases to level out April 1 +/- a few days.

freshmeat likes this.
  12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #413 freshmeat, Mar 12, 2020
    sounds about right, as long as ppl maintain sensible behavior. To be frank, personally I’m not worried about the virus, the baggage it brought with it is what’s killing me right now eg stock market, hate crime against Asians & bloody toilet paper hoarding...c’mon

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #414 Ferrari 308 GTB, Mar 12, 2020
    If USA doesn't take some drastic measure such as locking down entire City's, then they will end up like Italy i'm afraid.It might already be too late though.

Italy has 250 cases per 1 mio population , so Usa with 330 mio X 250 = 82500 cases.

From there you could speculate on mortality...

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Italy's population density is much higher than the US (over 500/sq mile vs less than 100/sq mile in US). Obviously places like NYC are screwed, but in general the US is pretty spread apart unlike Europe.

I think people in US will calm down when news runs out of headlines as they show growth rate decreases by end of March and they realize most survive and only have mild symptoms. I'm just hoping my parents don't get it due to their age and health problems they already have.

15. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Let's also keep in mind that China is a communist country where your jailed or worse for breaking quarantine, in the USA people infected have broken their home quarantine and have been caught out in public, the USA has very little chance with all the freedom and the I do what I want mentality, I think the USA is in real trouble.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    For comparison, S Korea population density is 1,300 per sq mile and Wuhan is 3,200 per sq mile. Pretty easy for stuff to spread like that.

17. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Los Angeles is 7,544.6 people per square mile... We are ******!

Based on the 2010 census data, Los Angeles had a density of 7,544.6 people per square mile (2,910/square kilometer). While it's the second-most populous urban area, Los Angeles is the single most densely populated area in the United States.Feb 17, 2020

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Well worrying won't solve anything and if you take normal precautions it can reduce transmitting infection. Washing hands and not touching your face being two main ones to do. There are many reported cases in the US where their close contacts do not have the infection based on both symptoms and labs (NBA players in contact with the 2 Jazz players being those among others that were tested).

Also, if the numbers being reported by countries and US states is somewhat accurate (hard to say how consistent they are and if they are truthful like Russia and China), then this virus is not spreading fast in warmer climates. It's mainly in higher latitudes that it's spreading faster while closer to the equator it's not (in the US such as MA, NY, WA and other countries too). So there is hope it may actually slow down as we warm up in this hemisphere.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Only 32 cases in your area. You can track it regularly here: http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/

ChipG likes this.
  20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  21. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I'm sure thousands have it now in LA, the entire state of califonia has tested about 250 people and 221 are positive, just think if they had the kits to test 100,000

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This is the huge scandal ..lack of testing kits ..so Trump tried to play it down until the kits started to ramp up.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Part of the problem in tracking this thing is the data out there is not consistent. We don't know who they decide to test (just travel history + symptoms, contact with traveler + symptoms, symptoms only etc) or how many they have even tested of their population. For instance, India has very few positive cases but it's hard to tell if that's because they simply haven't tested people or the virus doesn't do well in that climate with that population.

ChipG likes this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Korea has the best sample data quality overall due to amount of testing. Mortality is .07 from data passed yesterday. Singapore data is reliable.

BMW.SauberF1Team and ChipG like this.