575 F1 - Gated Conversion- Forza Article | FerrariChat

575 F1 - Gated Conversion- Forza Article

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by brogenville, Mar 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
  2. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    Hi, my two pennies from Europe:
    If someone really want a 575 over a 550 and can't live with paddle shift, but don't want to pay for the privilege of an original, I feel that the conversion could be the road to follow. I don't believe that a converted 575 could command a premium here in Europe as per an original 3 pedals 575, where rarity rockets the prices.

Personally I prefer the 550 over 575, I don't need the extra power, it has simpler headlights, much more classic interior feel (gauges/seats), simpler wheels...so I'm biased!;)

It's slightly different for the Scaglietti though... I like the Queen Mary size and the design too (yes, really!), but you can't buy an original manual without breaking the bank, so I definitively would pay a small premium for a proper converted one.

Ah...did I mention I don't like paddles?:D:D:D

dodici and brogenville like this.
  3. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Without knowing the actual cost of the conversion, I would guess that the market would favor something in the 30-50% range of the current premium of a factory gated car over an F1 car. So if an F1 car is $100k, and a gated car in identical condition/spec is $200k, the converted car might command $130-150k.

F456M likes this.
  4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I think that’s fair, though there isn’t much data to go on.

There’s a thread in the 360/430 section where a 430 that was converted by EAG was sold at auction. If memory serves, it sold for surprisingly close to what a genuine gated car would expect to sell for. (Some are skeptical if it was a genuine sale though.)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting article.

Do all LHD gated 575s have a straight gearstick? On my RHD car it's bent to the right, angled over towards the driver.

6. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I really like your rationing. :D

I agree, but as I am a man of many compromises, I got a 456 GT, gated, no air bags. :)

And due to the same kind of compromising my very first car was in fact a conversion. The PO had left it incomplete, I got the car as a basket case and it took me two years to put together and in the end it was worth as much as an original manual car. Plus it had a nice bonus, an overdrive (just like the 250 GT/E's did) which none of the factory original cars have. It was a 1966 Series 1 E-type 4.2L 2+2 and I still sometimes miss it, although I do currently have another LWB E-type, a V12 roadster (European car, sold new in Belgium).

So also for me a 612 would be possible, but it would have to be gated. And I think the 456 GT is "big enough" for my family, and garage. :)

A perfectly done conversion would probably be worth the effort and cost to someone who really wants a gated 575. Just my 2 Euro cents.

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Yup; the reason being that the “hole” in the tunnel is offset to the left in both LHD and RHD cars. In a LHD car then, because the hole is already close to the driver, the stick and the tower that it sits in are both straight. In a RHD car, the tower kinks over the the right, which brings the gate into the middle of the centre console, and the gearstick itself has a kink in it to bring the shift knob over to where the driver can easily reach it.

8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Will need to have a good read if this!

A few things are outdated though in the summary at the start- for one thing you absolutely can retain the original engine ecus. It’s a matter of downloading the flash file and getting a clever man called Trevor to correct it such that just the parameters for gated operation alone are altered. This is a much better solution that dropping in some ecus out of another manual car, as you can be 100% confident that all of the other parameters on the ecus are suited to your car.

The rest of the configuration is easy on a 575- you just need to reconfigure the dash ecu for manual operation, which can be done on an SD3 or Leonardo.

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    For those who have ever experienced to empty 5th gear at 270 kph. And about 7.500 rpm. and feel the next rush in 6th (with the same amount of torque) after a small «break» due to a high amount of braking as the air at that speed is seriously hard and want to slow the car down, -will pay whatever it cost to have a manual. The last «strech» when passing 300 quickly and up to about 325 kph. is nirvana for an adrenaline junkie like myself. Amen :)

nicholasn and Bdearmas3 like this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I suspected as much, thank you. My 550 was LHD so I didn’t experience that before. Is the 550 RHD gearstick the same as the 575 then?

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I would like to try that one day in my 575 manual. It was an occasion enough doing that at around 110 mph today.

F456M likes this.
  12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Well that’s a curious one, as the early 575’s use the gear stick as all RHD 550’s, but for some reason Ferrari changed it mid way through production. No idea what the changes are, if any.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting. I suspect the new version was more kinked to the right, as the hole in the 550's centre console is dead centre, while the 575 requires a longer reach. My gearlever looks more kinked than some 575s I have seen...I think.

Does anyone know why the hole was moved, between the 550 and 575? Something to do with F1?

14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    This is pure speculation, but I’ve heard that quite a few Ferrari v12 gear sticks snapped. It could be then that the change (during 575 lifespan) was purely in the grade of steel used, in order to offer something with better toughness.

15. Bdearmas3

Bdearmas3 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015
    Miami
    Has anyone dare to do the conversion with a 612?

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK