Rpm seems high ? Reasons? | FerrariChat

Rpm seems high ? Reasons?

Discussion in '308/328' started by sonfield, Mar 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    1983 308 gtsi seems to idle at 2700 rpm shift to 1 st and goes down but then back up ....almost like you have cruise control in 4 th gear at 55 mph.....? What to do. Seems fine otherwise. Thx

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check the throttle cable is not sticking, assuming same as the mondial you should see the throttle cable connect to a spring loaded lever. Get some one to press accelerator and when released is it coming all the way off. You can spray some wd 40 on the lever pivot point.
    Also check throttle cable not getting caught by the carpet or wrongly routed in the cabin. These are the simple things first

3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Floor mat jammed against pedal?

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Make sure throttle body is returning to its home position

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You called it an 83 308GTSi, is it a European model? There is no US 83 308GTSi and it makes a difference. As US 83 would be a 308 GTS QV.

sonfield likes this.
  6. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Auto fill got me.

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Before everyone starts going all over the map here is this something it just started doing or something it's always done or after someone messed with it?

bill brooks and Steve Magnusson like this.
  8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So I still have no idea and that makes it hard to be of any help.

Guess I'm not getting an answer.

9. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Nothing done recently sort a little more noticeable than it has been in the past drives fine sounds fine just idles at a higher RPM and when cruising don’t have to hit the Excelerator much to keep steady speed at 3000 RPM

10. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Nothing done recently sort a little more noticeable than it has been in the past drives fine sounds fine just idles at a higher RPM and when cruising don’t have to hit the Excelerator much to keep steady speed at 3000 RPM

11. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Look for the obvious mechanical stuff first (stickling throttle mechanism or cable, floor mats etc). Check the wear on the roller bearing & slide on the side of the throttle body take the intake hose off & make sure there is nothing obstructing the butterfly or stopping it from closing properly

Then start checking for split or loose hoses & vacuum lines.

If you find something obvious, correct it and if that doesn't resolve it then you might also have a situation where someone has made adjustments with things like the idle mixture on the CIS or the Air idle screw in order to try & fix the thing (when they should have left those things well alone & found the actual cause) Been there, done that!

In which case you then have to figure out what they changed and set it back to where it should, be but go with caution on that.

If its none of that then you probably get into more difficult stuff like the air idle adjustment, the CIS & fuel presures, the warm up regulator, AAV & air injection system - at which point you might need some help.

12. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Does the rpm go down after its warmed up? Check to see if the temperature sensor on the expansion tank is still connected.

13. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Let's try Brian's question again ;) -- Is it a US version or a euro version?

If it is a US version, another way to ask Jonny Law's question is: Does the yellow "cold running light" in the dash properly illuminate at cold start-up and go off when warmed up? Or does the yellow cold running light never illuminate? Or is the yellow cold-running light always on?

The 1980-83 US 308, having the cold start air valve system, are often modified/mucked with.

Jonny Law likes this.
  14. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    US version. Going to try greasing throttle cable. Rpms come down after warm up and cold yellow light goes off. Not an issue until throttling up....Appreciate everyone’s input as I’m not very mechanical.

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Start with the mechanical things you can see the movement of, before going on to things like electronics/sensors, etc.

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    This is normal operation for a completely stock US version 1983 308QV. During cold-running (when the yellow cold-running light is on), the cold start air valve allows a lot of extra air to enter the engine raising the idle RPM. Many Owners either disable the cold start air valve system or reduce the amount of air the cold start valve allows to enter the engine to reduce how high the RPM is raised during cold-running. See page 32 of your 260/83 OM which states that the engine RPM will be 2800 +/- 300 RPM at cold start-up.

Are you confirming that during warm-running (when the yellow cold-running light is off) the warm idle RPM is the correct ~1000 RPM?

Not understanding what you mean here -- are you saying it makes driving only during cold-running difficult? Or do you have a problem during warm-running (yellow cold-running light off)?

17. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    Yes confirming with the car warms up the RPMs do decrease to 1000 or When putting it in the first gear and increasing the RPMs with the throttle it seems to stick in the area of 3000 without the foot on the gas but will come down slowly I hope I’m trying to explain it right

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Its best to let these cars warm enough to "move the peg" of the water temp, before driving them, at least I do....

19. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Try disconnect the cat O2 sensor. You might have mixture problem. The connector is next to the air box. I was having the same problem for awhile. My mechanic did just that and the problem went away.

20. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I had something similar a few years back, was a sticking throttle cable.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    1980-1983 US cars have a vacuum hose routed right past the oil dipstick. When knocked off it raises the idle to about 3000 RPM.

The single most common cause for a stuck idle and the one no one believes is the floor mats. Just remove them to be sure it is not the issue.

sonfield and newark_308 like this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I never do. It takes too long. My cars get a 10 second or so warm up. Never been a problem.