430 - Power Steering Fluid Change On F430 | FerrariChat

430 Power Steering Fluid Change On F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Extreme1, Apr 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Anyone done a power steering fluid change?
    I stopped by my local Indy and it sounds like he just sucks it out of the reservoir with a turkey baster a few times, and tops it off.

I'm thinking about doing this myself, with the engine running. Anyone see any problems doing it this way?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    While taking the fluid out with a turkey baster and then refilling ...do that a few times with a drive in between ..will change some of the fluid it is not a total flush

So you to you .. do not run engine while sucking or filling it up .. pull fluid ..add same amount new ..drive ..repeat a few times

The proper way is to drain from hose that runs underneath car and then fill and then with tires raised turn the wheels back and forth a few times without engine on

Search the forum for more detailed info ..many posts on this where the method is described

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Your lo
    Your indy is just doing half a job, if you remove the return pipe from the tank and make an adaptor to extend the hose to a waste oil tank off the car. Blank off tank connection.
    Jack up the front of the car and move steering to both limits, as the old fluid is pumped out, top up the tank with enough or more fluid to change the system.

4. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I did this last Jan...

Jack car up so you can get underneath. Just behind the drive belt on the drivers side you can find the connection of the metal return hose from rack to the flexible one going up to reservoir. Drain fluid from there, turning front wheels to squeeze all the fluid out. It'll drain from reservoir as well as being pumped from steering rack. A bit messy so have a wide pad to catch all the fluid.

I completely drained it, reconnected the hoses, and then (without the car running) refilled the reservoir while turning wheels from stop to stop. Once it couldn't take anymore, started the car up and continued to add fluid, move wheels, add fluid, move wheels until level stabilized. I checked it after a few drives and it hasn't budged.

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  6. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    Does anyone have pics of what I am looking for to drain the power steering unit

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Look on the eurospares web site for the power steering, only 2 hoses so easy to work out where to split the line.