488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 20 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow, if you even knew what he has owned ....

Sent from my 16M

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    they made 1200 CS and that car has managed to stay around sticker. scuds were in the 180s after the crisis and they have struggled to hold 200k and 16ms are impossible to move above 230K. 599 gto and tdf have managed to stay at/above msrp depending on specs. speciale and apertas are retreating. 599 apertas have held but those were ultra limited. my conclusions are based on simple observation and experience with the cars i just mentioned. To say the pista is a ridiculous car, no disagreement. given how many they made i chose to pass on it. I have never knocked the pista for the machine, only for the number produced. the pista spider (if they limit numbers to speciale aperta equiv) might have a shot of holding its msrp. why anyone wld get emotional about my observations makes no sense to me, especially given the title of the thread. Not only am i active in the market i have a close group of approx dozen friends who are also very active and we share information about on the market and off the market trades....Just this weekend we met a nice guy with a nicely specced black pista who bought his car pre-owned for $10k over list, back in summer 2019. There are 3 high volume dealers within 45 mins of my house - they all have pistas available that are not listed on theirs sites or on ferrari.com. Nothing blasphemous about my comments or conclusions....supply is ample.

i have spoken to quite a few members here who have seeked out my advice over the years while they were looking...everything from a 60K f355 to a 1.5M F40. If anyone wants to call me a troll, be my guest.

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i was going to respond to this (the post you replied to) with a breakdown of my current cars and values, but i figured the most concise way to make the points was as simple as "i have an F40"
    anyways, i'm willing to bet anyone a pista that they will not be at par in 12 months and the posts here will be "i cant believe how little the dealer is willing to give me...."
    hope you are enjoying your new toy in good health!

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #479 Shadowfax, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Don't you mean smaller?

Anyway, It's interesting how certain Ferrari owners only buy models which have some form of rarity even where they clearly don't drive as well?

Amassing models which (evidently) barely get used used anyway makes little sense to me. And whilst I do understand the amassing of these cars is exponentially cheaper in the USA what purpose does it actually serve when future buyers of these same models all have the same thoughts in mind? i.e buy but don't use in fear of seriously reducing one's capital outlay.
    So is it all just about bragging rights?

Covid cautions aside - which are fair enough in the current global economic environment - where Pista is concerned it shouldn't lose as much value as a mainstream model, and if it did, would it really matter anyway? A decline in the value of a Pista would really only matter if the car was bought to either speculate, brag about owning, and not drive it beyond the rare cars and coffee meet.

PS. I doubt an F40 would manifest as a superior drive over a Pista and, if if it did then why do the owners barely drive them? So is it again more a point of having, holding and not using - bragging rights being the main value? But this level of (multiple Ferrari) ownership really shouldn't make one's credibility higher than the owner who only owns the one car and who primarily buys to drive. This is the part I really don't get with certain Ferrari owners and, certain Ferrari ownership, so please excuse my ignorance as I'm a relative newbie to the brand.

Gh21631 likes this.
  5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Anyone thinking cars are investments is smoking crack. Other than the really rare stuff the rest is for fun and enjoyment. Many other ways to make money than give it to Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari for something supposedly "limited".

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #481 Shadowfax, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Smoking crack alright! Crying over what it may or may not be worth in times to come and living in fear of putting ks on it is ridiculous. These are toys made to be used! Worrying about whether it has a number on it - lost me right there. If taking the number off it removes the obstacle then get the grinder out!

The only problem we have now is being unable to drive the cars with the current restrictions and that also could be weighing on buyers minds and affecting sales, pricing etc. Although if I were looking for a Pista the next few months may prove the best time to negotiate a deal. In times like this it's usually the toys that are the first to go, so there could be some real bargains to be had!

PTG1, MANDALAY and Shack like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #482 Shadowfax, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    That's pretty well the score of it.

The main thing is actually what you do with the car while you own it.

Pista was made to be more than just looked at and worried about future returns. The only bummer at the moment is being unable to use it properly.

Those without one or who missed out now have a chance to get in on the action which they never had not so long ago....and were complaining bitterly about that too in a lot of cases. Funny how now the car is available and at MSRP or less there is so much procrastination and talk of future values. Like seriously?

JackCongo and Avia11 like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Whether in business or personal possessions, I have always had an aversion to excessive inventory. When it comes to cars, I live in a climate where a super car can be only driven 7 months out of the year. Since I purchase these cars to drive as often as weather permits, owning multiple super cars that perform the same function makes little sense.

9. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Cant agree - ask any woman how many bags or shoes she needs/wants. Ask most guys how many watches (or cars) they want - same answer - as many as I can afford.

ScrappyB, JTSE30 and Thecadster like this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That wasn't the point and regardless of how many cars he's had he is overly arrogant, rude and NOT a fortunate teller. We've all had a lot of cars. Ive had about 20 in the last 2 years alone and it doesn't make me an expert and everyone else wrong.

Pis7a2020 and Rrr1 like this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You've missed nothing but the same old noise.

Rrr1 likes this.
  12. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I thought the optimal number of cars to own is n+1, where n= the number of cars one currently owns.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

gabf1, Napoli, PTG1 and 5 others like this.
  13. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would love to hear a group of sales people swap stories about some of the garish configurations they’ve seen. This one is a doozy.

Napoli and Shadowfax like this.
  14. ModerateMike

ModerateMike Rookie

Jul 21, 2017
    NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    True. It may not sell quickly, but there’s a butt for every seat.

Thecadster likes this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I don't wear a watch or any other ornamental adornments.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Funny, a watch is all the jewelry I'll wear. Picking one for the day is fun.

Pis7a2020, Boomhauer, Jo Sta7 and 2 others like this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Regardless of one's excessive indulgences one can still only wear one watch, and drive one car at any given time. I would agree that owning one good car that can cut muster on a group drive or track day makes a lot more sense than owning a stable full of 3 legged horses which rarely see the light of day in fear of invoking the dreaded D word.

Says dude who buys Pista against all instincts and incessantly claimed preferences on sound only to roll it a few days later. A pointless exercise if I've ever seen one. So I'm calling Fake news...and certainly not credible.

Pis7a2020 and PTG1 like this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Similar function, but not the same. Each car I own is a completely unique instrument for completely unique applications. My next car will be similarly unique. I look to minimize overlap, and maximize variety.

Shack, LVP488, Coincid and 1 other person like this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Well they are on the verge of being worthless because its has turbos and people are getting colds.

Theres an old saying, there are those who make it happen, those who watch it happen and others that wonder what happened. Perhaps we should add that there are those who know what's going to happen as well.

Pis7a2020, Rrr1 and Shadowfax like this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Absolutely!

......and LOL to that last comment in particular!!!

Pis7a2020, Rrr1 and Gh21631 like this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My sentiment is that I don't need multiple cars that essentially perform the same function especially since the available driving opportunities where I reside is so restrictive. Living in a warm climate all year round would definitely change the picture.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    There is absolutely a glut of Pistas in dealer inventories right now. My dealer is now sitting on seven (7) of them, all for sale, but only advertising three of them at the moment. I can't remember EVER seeing any single dealer sitting on this many Speciales for sale at the same time.

Clay512TR and ScottS like this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    oh god - you are going to get shot as you have no knowledge or insights to the great pista. head for cover, quick!

ScottS, PTG1, Boomhauer and 4 others like this.
  24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thats kinda sad ....

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name: