Trade a Speciale in for Pista? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Trade a Speciale in for Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tickerhound, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #101 Gh21631, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Really? I cant comment on your post? My bad. How would anyone your intention?

Now we are cursing at each other? Classy response.

2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Love that white Italia, especially that it has race seats.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I predict I know what F Chat will put in tomorrows digest!

PTG1, Avia11 and Eilig like this.
  4. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The 488 Pista is just a stunningly beautiful car!

5. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    completely agree.458s are 'cheaper' so more available to enthusiasts who like to get on message boards and discuss cars. A vast majority of buyers for exotics are not enthusiasts and don't care about NA vs Turbo. They want a fast car with a badge that looks cool and has a warranty. If there were a lot of enthusiast type buyers we'd still see manual transmissions being offered.

as for the pista vs speciale debate. Personally I think the pista looks so amazing i'd go with that over a speciale. And i'm an italia owner. I can see why prices are falling though: The McLaren 720 can be had for much cheaper with an extended warranty through the dealer. Its just as fast if not faster (larger aftermarket support). While not as pretty in my eyes.. it does have doors that go up which will sway many buyers. And the ride quality with its hydraulic suspension and carbon tub is better.

the pista, while limited, already seems outdated with the F8 and upcoming F8 special edition car as they all will share the same basic motor/trans.

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The "F8 special edition" remains a big question mark - many think it will not happen, which would make the Pista the last of its kind.

Gh21631 likes this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Until the next turbod edition.

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Tributo is the name, there are no more "turbo only" Ferrari top-models to come, future will be hybrid (yes, +turbo mostly likely but no more turbo only), starting with SF90 (excepting entry-level cars such as Portofino/Roma)

Ferrari has set the bar, and I believe them when they specifically chose the Tributo name...

That means more weight, more complexity, less Ferrari, because of electric motors...and maybe that matters not to their future customers, but they will lose a lot of current customers. Plus, if the SF90 is as problematic as the LaF, they could lose a lot more customers.

If not done exceedingly well, pre-hybrid Ferrari's will be of increased desirability...due to lack of no more being produced, apparently that could be occurring in next 3 years or less...

barkanddex and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s a tough statement to back up with some facts.

This is a widespread trend in the whole of the western world right now:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-vs-488-resale-parity.591702/#post-147161176

Unless 488 owners are underrepresented worldwide, both on and offline? That would be a statistical miracle.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Don’t talk about redheads, my single weakness in life, I go crazy with them!

11. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    I am very fortunate to be in this situation. I have only had the Pista Coupe for a couple of weeks. Had the opportunity to buy the Spider but given I have the Spec A, and the Pista is definitely a higher performing car than the Speciale, did not see the point in going for the Spider. Also wanted to see the engine bay in its full CF glory, which the SpecA or Pista Spider does not permit. Drove both back to back - handling is similar up to 7/10ths, SpecA better ride comfort by some margin, Pista has a better exhaust note than I expected but Speciale still better. What the SpecA has that the Pista doesn't, and for me this is most significant attribute, is that amazing redline, and the NA engine/rev flexibility that goes with it. So both cars are special and have their own unique characteristics that ensure I keep both for a long time. If I had to choose, the SpecA is the one by a very short nose, as in day to day driving, feels a little more special due to that NA engine and superior ride.

Avia11, tickerhound, johnr265 and 4 others like this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I had this dilemma about a year ago; I was offered a Pista allocation. I have a Speciale. I asked myself if I could bring myself to trade the Speciale in and get the Pista (garage space limiting having both)? The answer for me was “no.”
    I am a very quick driver, and in right conditions can be very aggressive as well (back ranch roads may have seen speeds in excess of 180)...or perhaps that was just a keyboard warrior braggard fantasy (for you LEOs out there ;)). I firmly believe that no car “needs” to have more performance than the Speciale to enjoy it, in fact I think you enjoy less of the car more of the time as the excessive performance envelop increases (if you get my drift). I have an 812SF and it’s performance is frightening, and >90% of time only 50% of it is on tap usable. I love driving my 812, but being so good it has lost a little of that “crazy magic dust” of the F12.

Now my buddy got the Pista and loves it more than his Speciale, so the Speciale is for sale....so there you go.

13. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was considering the same but standard model(s), not Pista/Speciale. In the end, for a 1/10 of a second and not having that beautiful normally aspirated sound, I decided to stay 458. I have a McDaddy 720 that is twin turbo and it don't sound near as good as my 458.

14. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    What are you driving these days?

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  16. aspenburghound

Jan 5, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Alain
    I own a very special Speciale myself. I have been offered many Pista's. I am not interested. They build way too many and they are sitting all over the place. The dealership is dying to get my car back but I will keep it for a long time. The speciale is a very special car. The Pista will depreciate much faster. At time I might get one to add on but not instead of

mclaren slr, PTG1 and tickerhound like this.
  17. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good to hear that about the 720S also, I have considered one of those. I had a really nice spec 488 GTB that I got rid of last year when I got my 812. That 488 was my first brand new F car so I went crazy on the spec. I loved the car but didn't like the way the rev limiter kicked it at what seemed to be less than the redline indicated on the tach. I also ended up pulling and plugging the vacuum tubes to the exhaust valves. I liked the sound much better after that mod. What really attracts me to the Pista is the styling. The Speciale is a beautiful car, don't get me wrong, the engine is actually better looking than the Pista. The overall look of the Pista just speaks to me.

18. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Nice. I’m loving my 812, but keep messing with the exhaust. Hopefully get to a final config soon. Find myself driving 355 GTS and 812 more than Perf, but still think Perf is working keeping, especially for these discussions about Pista vs Speciale. Firmly in Speciale camp between the two, but if you want fast, excellent grip, mid-engine, modern tech, NA, there’s no option in Ferrari or McLaren.

plastique999 and Thecadster like this.
  19. victorg

victorg Rookie

May 2, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor Gonzalez
    I just got my Pista Spider a few weeks back, haven't tracked it yet, I agree with comments about economics, Pista Spiders are trading slightly above MSRP and they're unlikely to appreciate over time, although if you're looking to improve your driving experience / car performance and don't care about losing money then go ahead and trade. There are many Pista Spiders advertised for sale under $600k online.

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Should I add a 355? I need epic noise form my cars.

21. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Dustman, you have a 458 so the bar is set very high. Nevertheless as a former 355 owner, if you add a nice exhaust and straight pipes, you won’t regret it imvho. Quite the opposite.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

dustman and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Victor, I think you should brace yourself for one heck of an experience. Even though not as rigid as the coupe. Will be looking forward to reading your feedback!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Caeruleus11 and victorg like this.
  23. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Not the exact same cars, but looking at the two racecar versions, the 458CH and the 488CH now with an Evo modification, I think helps the analysis.

I prefer my 458CH to drive as it is naturally aspirated. It is more of a natural ramping up in RPM. The 488CH is rapid clicking of the right paddle as the RPMs climb very fast as the turbo kicks in each gear.

Undoubtedly, the 488CH is much faster. But the driving experience has been described as more of a “point and shoot” exercise as compared to the 458CH experience.

I have both street cars. They are quite different. I would not sell either one. More guests prefer the Pista, I prefer the Speciale.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. victorg

victorg Rookie

May 2, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor Gonzalez
    #124 victorg, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    ...I also have an 812 which I did track and was surprisingly lighter than on the street, certainly fun

Attached Files:

PTG1, Thecadster, tickerhound and 3 others like this.
  25. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Yes, I think so. I love the sound. Fabspeed headers, fabspeed sport cats, capristo exhaust. GTS is def the one to go for. They need some futzing with to get them to be really great (shifter/other rattles) but once you get it sorted out nicely it’s really great. I haven’t had too much seat time in 458 so I wouldn’t be able to give a great comparison there. 355 adds a nice, different sound to the 812/Perf. Next stop is the Weber carb, Colombo V12 for me. 275 GTB/4 if it tanks in price like I think it will.