More Ratarossa Annual Servicing YouTube Videos | FerrariChat

More Ratarossa Annual Servicing YouTube Videos

Discussion in '348/355' started by Qavion, Apr 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not sure if these have been mentioned before:

For some reason, Ratarossa has blocked my comments on YouTube, but I'll continue to recommend his videos (and comment on FChat as appropriate) ;)

GSF355 likes this.
  2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    He's been doing some great videos and I enjoy his knowledge and enthusiasm. It sure is strange to see a mint F355 among his collection of other Ferraris... ;)

Cwheeler and NYC Fred like this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Agreed. Although sometimes it pays to look at professionals doing the same job. They sometimes know of easier and safer ways of doing things.

He also sometimes skips details on model variations. Sometimes it's not necessary to do certain things or sometimes it's necessary to do extra things.

4. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    I can't wait for Part 3 of this series - F355 cam belts :D

5. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
  6. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I watched both vids yesterday.. I thought they were very good.

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Qavion likes this.
  8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    But seriously, Ian, you might not be blocked at all. On browser versions no longer supported by YouTube, you can't "like" a video or leave a comment. Try updating your browser and see what happens.

Here on the other side of the world, The Kookaburra Song was one of the first songs we learned in grade school. We even sang it in a round with girls and boys in separate groups. Of course the boys would take turns substituting a rhyming word for "sits" and the teacher would yell "Who said that?!" :D

Barry

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The deadly Kookaburra...

Stay safe, Ian.

Qavion and GSF355 like this.
  10. GSF355

GSF355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2013
    Brisbane
    The danger is real! I spotted two together just yesterday, luckily I was able to get inside before a third one showed up.

308 GTB likes this.
  11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Apparently even a lone Kookaburra can be deadly...

And I see Emus are killers too...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Stay safe, Gerard.

GSF355 likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    No problem with "likes" or likes and comments on other videos.. Unfortunately, my computer is beyond updates (still running Windows XP).

No problems with Kookaburras (yet)... They sit quietly on the fence. A random cockatoo, however, took a chunk out of my finger... and a few have chased me around the garden on foot. They have a taste for expensive sneakers.

Meanwhile.. back on topic...

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #13 308 GTB, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Then the problems lies somewhere else. Maybe you haven't logged into YouTube (and Google). I know sometimes after an update which clears cookies I have to log in again. I won't notice that I'm not logged in because I'm concentrating on other things on the screen. Or maybe he excluded comments from certain groups of viewers on his YouTube control panel. I have a YouTube channel and I've not excluded anyone.

Yes, Ian, to go back on topic, I watched several of his videos (I'm subscribed to his channel) including these two just yesterday. I found them informative and easy to understand but I don't have the experience to do advanced servicing of my car competently. I feel comfortable doing minor repairs in the garage at track events if one of my support technicians isn't available. A few years ago at Lime Rock Park I felt my right front wheel vibrating, enough that I felt it through my steering wheel. I pitted in and told the tech to pull the right front wheel as I thought I picked up rubber which threw the wheel out of balance. I saw that I had thrown a .25 ounce balancing weight. All my lead weights are secured by silver tape. The tape was partially peeled away and the lead was gone. They wanted to change my front wheels. My spare wheels had new slicks mounted which I didn't want to use at that event. I asked for a .25 ounce weight but they didn't bring any to the track. I found another team that had a few to spare and I used the tape, which had an imprint of the lead, to position the new lead. I secured it with a new peice of silver tape and the wheel was put back on the car and the problem was solved.

I once lost a C-ring securing a rear shock actuator causing it to pop off. There were no C-rings available so I secured the actuator with some stainless steel wire.

I can do simple things like these and videos such his and others have helped me understand the systems and parts on my car. I'm grateful for such videos and I especially like the way he presents the subject matter making it easy for me to understand. As I mentioned in another thread, electrics and automotive repair are far from my profession, but I try to read and understand as much as I can to be able to at least do some simple repairs. I was lucky to have a spool of 25 gauge stainless steel wire with me in my spare parts box at the track when my C-ring popped off. In the ER I've used it to reduce fractures temporarily until bone plates can be applied in the OR. I'm proud of myself when I can apply the surgical skills I've learned to make quick repairs on my car.

Barry

ps In Australia I know I would be called Baz or Bazza. When I was an intern, my chief resident, who was from Melbourne, used to call me Bazza. :)

GSF355 and Qavion like this.
  14. Tony Moore

Tony Moore Rookie

Oct 16, 2019
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Tony Moore
    My only wish is that Scott spends just a little bit more time on his edits and equalising the volume across the finished video. I recognise he's the one out there doing it and I am not, so its a 'please' not a criticism!

Cwheeler likes this.
  15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #15 bjwhite, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    What. Thuh. Hell???! haha.....

phrogs likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If it ain't broke...

It's so nice to have a computer which doesn't require endless Windows update/security downloads. It does 99.9% of what I want it to do and is compatible with various programs which I would have to pay to replace on a new computer.... and, somewhere, I still have a laptop with Windows 95 (with a serial port useful for 80's/90's vehicle diagnostics).

Doesn't Ferrari SD diagnostic software only run on Windows XP?

17. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    I like this guy but I was laughing when he was boasting about not spilling a drop of oil BEFORE he dropped the drain plug from the oil tank. Guaranteed mess.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #18 Qavion, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    True. I haven't found a way of draining the oil tank without making a mess, so I make sure I protect the wiring harness in that area and use large pan with a build in grille which catches the plug and reduces splashing. It also has a screw down cap which allows you to pull the pan from under the car without sloshing.

e.g. https://www.ebay.com.au/i/143247202981

GSF355 likes this.
  19. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    This is my cure for the mess while draining the oil tank: http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/index.php The hose on the screw on draining fitting allows you to direct the oil directly to your collection container and the hose can easily be replaced with a longer one if needed while the safety cap ensures that if the ball valve was to fail it is still sealed so there is no more danger of the tank leaking than the standard drain plug. This is a high quality drain valve made in Germany and it fits perfectly onto the drain hole in the tank leaving plenty of space around it to manipulate the valve. It also allows the tank to be drained without requiring the use of any tools.

GSF355 likes this.
  20. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    This is very interesting. If I'm honest, I've worried about the short length and few number of threads on the drain plug on the tank. This looks like a good alternative.

21. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    There are plenty of threads on the drain so it torques up just like the original plug and the supplied crush washer deforms just like the original to seal the drain to the oil tank . The part with the flexible hose that activates the valve is a simple bayonet push up and 1/4 turn by hand assembly so it puts no extra torque into the oil tank bung either.
    It literally only takes a second to activate or deactivate the drain valve and there is no leaking, spilling or mess from the drain oil as long as the end of the hose is kept in your drain container or pan. The only critical thing is to not misplace the activating fitting and hose assembly between oil changes but if you did lose it. the drain can always be swapped back to the original drain plug at any time.

Qavion likes this.
  22. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I like this idea. I'll have to figure out the thread sizes but this might just be something I buy this year.

23. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Qavion likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good point. It assume it would also have to be kept scrupulously clean.

Looks like it's not available at the moment, at least in my region (probably Coronavirus).