Portofino - "Real Ferrari"...opinions please | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Portofino - "Real Ferrari"...opinions please

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Adrian Saunders, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There are too many cars from ferrari and price dont make sense anymore. How many versions of 812 all together? just ridiculous.

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Definitely a lot were sold to people that wanted a Pista but that just means the market should have way more Portos than 812s.

I think these comments are your opinion. My wife loved the look of the Portofino and is thrilled to have one. Are you going to tell her she doesn't have a real Ferrari? I wouldn't advise you do that. LOL!

No disagreement. I love my 812 even though I am sure I overpaid.

635CSI likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Here in Europe the 812 started hitting the streets in May 2017, and quite sure it hit the streets in the US in Q3 of 2017. A few Portos hit the streets here in 2017, but then everything ground to a hold, and while many had their 812 delivered, many were forced to wait many months for their Porto. From what I can tell, it is not far off saying that there's a year between the two in terms of when actual deliveries took place. The PF only started to properly hit the streets here at the same time as in the US, i.e May 2018. At that time the 812 deliveries had been going for a year here.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If she would not like that, I'm sure she'd hate when it's called "Beverly Hills House Wife
    Appliance" lol. No harm intended, just messing about a bit:)

wrs likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If my wife wanted a ferrari id get her a 360 or 430 spider. She tried driving the second cali i had and she cld care less.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im just responding to OP. Obviously all subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
  8. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    So we can refer to her as "mrs wrs"? :)

JotaEle and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  9. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    CoPilota, isn't it irrelevant which model came out on which month of 2018? The fact is dealers did not deliver a lot of 812's, but did deliver tons of PF's. And yet, if you look at the pre-owned cars for sale, you would think the reverse were true.

We may not all agree on the topic of whether a PF or Roma is a real Ferrari, but I think we all agree the 812 is without a doubt a real Ferrari. And yet, the very select few who can afford the car are happy to part ways with it. I own one and will not sell mine unless it is for another V-12. And maybe every 812 currently for sale is from a guy who is solely interested in the GTS. But the fact that anyone, even someone with no previous F ownership history, can pick and choose from nearly a hundred 812's in the US is weird. And yet that same buyer wouldn't have as many PF options.

wrs likes this.
  10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That has more to do with financial concerns, rather than the car itself.

11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes, 40 years worth. .

paulchua likes this.
  12. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Not sure what you mean by "financial concerns"? Please explain.

I agree that it is not about the car. The car is phenomenal. Maybe the dealers overplayed their hand on "buy the 812 or you won't get the GTS", and lots of guys bought the car but left it at the dealer.

Maybe it will all work out for the best. But right now, nobody can be happy with dealers sitting on big 812 inventory - unless you are a buyer who wants an 812 and is able to pounce.

13. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahaha!! And the only real Ferrari is a gated V12. Such silliness.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

635CSI likes this.
  14. Maadalfa

Maadalfa Karting

Aug 19, 2014
    This is how you feel in a Portofino :)

15. crazedboutcars

crazedboutcars Karting

Dec 14, 2018
    Dubai, U.A.E.
    Full Name:
    Madhav Kanchan
    Hi Adrian... many would consider a Portofino not to be a true Ferrari but it is all nonsense... I have a 2017MY Cali T HS and it is such a good daily drive for you and/or your partner and/or kids if they are small... have you bought one yet?... if not, are you looking for brand new or used?... if brand new I would suggest you wait for the Handling Speciale pack when it launches for the Portofino... otherwise you may consider Roma too... have a look at the FOC UAE website to get a feel of the club and see if you would be interested in joining... message me privately if you want to take this discussion further... happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the fact that its even a debate tells the story. there was a guy who had a cali and he thought it was the quintessential ferrari until he spent a cple hours in a 458. he went from diehard cali to selling it in one afternoon.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    An expensive asset that might depreciate rapidly, due to the worldwide health crisis.

18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    The only reason there is a debate is silly people claiming a Ferrari is not a real Ferrari because it is not their favorite.

I spent a couple of years in a Cali T. Spent 8 months in a 488. Sold both to move to an 812 and Portofino. Never left the Ferrari Family and thoroughly enjoying both real Ferrari’s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    I still don't understand. The debate was why are there more 812's than PF's available for sale, when fewer were made. I don't think 812 owners are all suddenly putting their cars up for sale, especially since the typical 812 owner is probably less affected financially than the typical PF owner.

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  21. crazedboutcars

crazedboutcars Karting

Dec 14, 2018
    Dubai, U.A.E.
    Full Name:
    Madhav Kanchan
    ryalex likes this.
  22. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Any car built at the Maranello factory wearing a Ferrari badge is a real Ferrari. The Portofino certainly is and for proof check out the last season of Top Gear UK where the Portofino rinsed both the 992 and Aston Martin Vantage in a straight line top speed run.

wrs likes this.
  23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Not a fair fight :D

Is the Portofino going to get somewhat of a LCI (Life Cycle Impulse in BMW terms)? Cosmetic only, or are there going to be mechanical upgrades too?

I think the Portofino is the successful successor of the most sold Ferrari of all time. It’s sexy when at a standstill, and an emotional experience to the senses when moving. Checks all the boxes of a real Ferrari, imho. I would prefer a large natural aspirated engine instead of a turbo just to comply with politics, but it is what it is.

The least Ferrari things Ferrari made imho, is the 400 (a sedan and it’s not even beautiful) and the FF / GTC4Lusso (all wheel drive shooting brakes). And it’s a complex matter, as I absolutely love the FF.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua likes this.
  24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    well it answers the question of whether they're going to do a convertible Roma or not, they're just going to make the portofino look more like the Roma. Which makes sense since underneath apparently they're the same chassis and drivetrain.