458 issues programming garage | FerrariChat

458 issues programming garage

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sargepug, May 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    So wifey lost the last controller I had, probably left it in the last BMW loaner months ago! Now that I don't have the controller, having a tough time programming. I have the type of motor that you have to press the learn button on to program, which I believe is considered "rolling code" type. I've read on-line it's not doable? I built my house 17 yrs ago, so the motor dates back to '03...

2. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

My garage door opener is also a rolling code type of similar age (our house is 26 years old, but the opener was replaced about 16 years ago).

I could not find my opener when I wanted to program the Homelink in the 458, so I just used the Homelink instructions and by pressing the learn button on the opener and the desired button on the rear view mirror at the proper times, it got the code and it works a treat!

BTW, you can also get a universal remote at any home centre that will work with your door opener. We have replaced our remotes at least twice over the years. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sargepug likes this.
  3. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Yup, called my garage door service, and ordered a universal replacement this am.

4. geochin

geochin Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    George
    You should be able to program the 458. Newer door openers don’t work 458 as I found out. Try these steps if you have a remote opener that works:
    Go away from the house so the remote does not activate the garage door
    Clear 458 codes by pressing button 1& 3 until led on mirror stops blinking.
    Press button 1 and the remote near the mirror until blinking led on mirror is solid. This will tell you the code has transferred from remote to mirror
    Go back to garage and press learn button on the motor and it will start blinking
    Go to mirror and press and hold button #1.
    The door should start to move
    If it does you set. If not do the press the learn button steps again
    Also most garage door remotes are max out at 3 memories
    Good luck

5. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    That's the prob, no remote opener. I ordered a universal, that's coming tomorrow. thx