Easier engine cleaning | FerrariChat

Easier engine cleaning

Discussion in '348/355' started by barstool, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barstool

barstool Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Nick Muir
    Hello all, I got bored during the COVID lockdown, so I'm rebuilding my spare 355 engine in my home office :)
    I also got a 3D printer, so figured I would combine the two hobbies and make port blanking plugs so I can clean and polish without having to worry about gunk falling in through the intake holes.

-Nick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MikeeB355, jqpd99, Julia and 4 others like this.
  2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Very cool. If you could make a complete set with covers for the air intakes after the air filter and covers for the lines when you disconnect everything, it would be perfect for people who want covers when they do their own majors. :)

3. barstool

barstool Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Nick Muir
    That's the plan. For lines, I can just use standard caps or plugs, this is more the the oddly shaped bits.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'd love to buy a set if the price is reasonable. Please keep me posted.

5. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Barstool. Gorgeous. Would you make me plugs to seal the fresh air intake hood vents to keep water out when pressure washing?

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Looks really good what is the trick to making them fit so nice, tapered maybe?

7. barstool

barstool Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Nick Muir
    These still need a lot of work, as of now they just sit flat, so they pop out easily, so I'm going to redesign with some tabs that go into the ports to get a better seal. The left bank ports were all nice and uniform, but the right bank had been ported a bit, so I added some material to fill the hole. I took a photo of the ports, brought that into my modelling software (Rhino 3D) and adjusted the design accordingly. Measurements were done with a Neiko 01407A Digital Caliper
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. barstool

barstool Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Nick Muir
    What part are you looking to block off specifically? I was going to make some simple intake plenum ports that would seal up the engine after removing the air sensors.

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    He might be talking about the vent on the hood for the cabin air.

10. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Barstool, Paul K is correct - the vents on the hood for cabin air. It would be nice to wash the 355 without getting the cabin air receptacle under the hood wet. Rags and tape don't cut it. I've been using short lengths of vinyl tubing. Works ok but if you can fab pop in/out plugs that would be great.

11. barstool

barstool Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Nick Muir
    Sorry, my printer can only do 15cm wide prints, so a wide plug like that seems unlikely.