458 spider question | FerrariChat

458 spider question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Regular Guy 01, May 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hi guys,

I would like to clean the manifold tops of my engine and also to replace a part. I was wondering if anybody has done this by going through the top storage compartment. I did a search and found out about it but no real information posted.
    Anybody else done this?
    Any tips?

Thanks,
    Gene Greer

2. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I've done it. Once the buttress is open, you'll need to remove the carpet which is held on by a variety of plastic caps located along the perimeter. Next pull up the carpet which is simply held in place by a couple pieces of large two sided tape. Next, remove the fasteners holding the metal panel which sits over the engine. You can start to lift the panel off but the two cables which retract the fairings need to be carefully moved. You'll first need to remove the grommet that the cables run through (located at the back lip). You can remove the metal panel without having to disconnect the cables! It takes a little bit of effort but it can be done. If I remember correctly, you should be able to get one side out from under the cable and then you can work to get the other side out. Again, you need to take your time and having two people would be beneficial.

daflk, Regular Guy 01 and soulsea like this.
  3. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Agreed. Pics from a few weeks ago when I did the same (excuse filty engine compartment- that has been taken care of) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

daflk and Regular Guy 01 like this.
  4. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Thanks guys!!

Just the info I was looking for.
    It is help like this that makes our group so special!!

I am looking forward to using this knowledge and cleaning up my engine.
    I also bought a carbon kit and have the fuel covers to replace while I a in there.

If anybody else has any other tips or photos please post them.

Thanks again,
    Gene Greer

5. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Forgot to add that I know what I will be doing tomorrow :D

6. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Just wanted to say thanks again to 338Lapua and Rdwaggie for the detailed info and pictures on this project.
    I was able to open my car today and clean the engine compartment this afternoon.
    After 17k miles it had gotten quite dirty and it really needed some attention.
    I was also able to install the carbon fuel covers from my recent purchase through Carbonio. Even thought they are impossible to see, I know they are in on there instead of in a box, in the garage.
    Turning wrenches on this car is fun but it is also stressful. I consider myself somewhat skilled but it still puts butterflies in my stomach.

I appreciate the help in making this job happen.
    On to the next project.....:)

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

7. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Glad it went well Gene! It's always stressful until you get used to working on your car. But remember, it is still put together in a similar fashion to any other car.