Do you use cruise control on your California? | FerrariChat

Do you use cruise control on your California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Justicepool, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I was somewhat surprised to learn the grand touring Ferrari California does not come with basic cruise control. For those who have the option, do you find yourself using it on highway cruise drives?

I envision myself taking long trips in the car (Texas to California, Texas to North Carolina, etc.,.) and would definitely use cruise on such long drives.

Found a car I really liked, but it doesn't have cruise control.

2. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I tested one and nixed it because it didn’t have cruise control and parking sensors. I use cruise all the time. I drive 600 mi to my place in FL several times a year. Would not be without it.

Justicepool likes this.
  3. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    it is not adaptive, doesn't adjust if car in front of you slows down, it is in a weird location and adjusting speed by 3km increase or decrease with a knob is a bit weird. in bmw i have the lane keep, adaptive and all the great features and still complaining, in ferrari happy and thankful to god that it can keep the speed with 30 years old technology.

Do i use it. yes. traveilng to austria a lot, it has long empty autobahns with 110kmh (60mph) speed limit.

Portofino has the adaptive with ADAS package ACC.

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #4 vjd3, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    John, I believe it’s standard on the Cali T — Ferrari calls it “pit speed” for whatever reason. At least, it’s on my 2015 and not listed as an option. It’s a single knob on the panel to the left of the steering wheel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I don’t use cruise on any car as a rule but coincidentally fiddled with it Saturday when someone was asking for the battery voltage at 60 mph. Works fine, pushing it and holding it for a couple seconds turns it on/off/resumes, turning it clockwise and holding it for a couple seconds sets the speed, brakes disengage it, turning the knob either direction if it’s active adjusts the speed, a bit odd to use that instead of a stalk but no odder than having no stalk to control the wipers or brights ;)

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I use it quite a bit on longer drives. With a cranky back, it is nice to be able to take your foot off the accelerator, and do a few in-car stretching exercises.
    If you're in Texas, and planning on taking long road trips, I would get it.
    If my ideal spec came along and it was the only thing missing, then I would do without.
    T

6. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    I have a 2013 Cali 30 from new. Cruise was a thousand dollar option and compared with the cost of the rear camera was pass over. I'm glad I got it although it is not smart like the more recent versions on cars nowadays. Still I always set it a the actual speed limit on the road so I lift off before speed cameras and know I am on the money

7. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    I use it on longer highway drives when I just want to enjoy the sun and surroundings and not have to worry about every Tom, Dick & Harry who wants to race me :)

8. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Thanks for the replies. As Tom can attest, drives in Texas can easily be hundreds of miles long and I plan on taking mine cross country and there will be times with cruise control is helpful. Thanks to a very helpful Fchat member (Safe4now- Steve!) I have discovered that depending on the model, that Cruise Control can be retro-fitted at a not too unreasonable price (in Ferrari world pricing that is). So that puts one that I was looking at back on the list! Always thankful for the help one receives on this forum.

9. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

CC is a must-have in my current search for a Cali. :)

10. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Whoever designed the controls for it were either ergonometrically challenged or had a cruel sense of humor.

Justicepool and Dubaicity like this.
  11. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I'm glad I held out for a model with cruise. I use it frequently on longer drives. The control is different on the T (from what I understand). The control on the Cali 30 is on the stalk, not the usual push button method control, but it works.

12. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Totally honesty, I had no idea I had cruise control till this thread. So, no, never used it.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  14. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I use it on Cali T. Works well just should have been on the steering wheel!