New owner of 488 GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New owner of 488 GTB

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Lou B., Jun 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My car gets the battery tender plugged in every time I get home whether it sits for a day or month. I have not had any problems with my battery but not sure if it's oem or replaced at some point before I got the car. Will stick the battery jumper in the car for safe measure.

mdrums likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I second this conspiracy theory! I would also upgrade the OEM battery tender (I got a ctek 7002) and if the battery is a few years old, assume it's toast and replace. As others have said, keep it on the tender 24/7 when not driving...T

3. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    What is evident is you haven’t spent much time driving the car at all. The battery deficiency yes is common of nearly all Ferrari’s but the climate control is as easy and simple as you could ask for and the paddles are anything but short. I am far from an apologist here but it amuses me this kind of nonsense

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Viperjoe likes this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #29 Shadowfax, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    I guess 10,000kms is not much time driving it?

Anyway I purchased the factory option extended paddles as for the type of driving I do I couldn't stand the constant need to remove my hands from the wheel to fish for paddles at the moment critical. Maybe you never get to turn your steering wheel far enough around or drive fast enough to have any issue?

I also don't back away from my earlier comments re the climate control and MI - the functionality all very clumsy and outdated. If there is one thing I don't like about my Pista it is the climate and MI. Simply put a car of this day and age should have had and could have had a lot better, and I only need to step into one of my GT cars to be reminded of that. And to have inadequate charging along with battery failures is simply unacceptable for a street car.

I can understand you may need to defend your precious car but the cold harsh reality is one only need step into other lesser cars to realize just how backward, clumsy and antiquated the Ferrari is in these areas and it shouldn't be the case given their claimed engineering brilliance and, the significantly high price of the car.

If only certain owners weren't so defensive and protective of their precious Ferrari and called it for how it is they may start dishing up a better offering in the future. I look forward to that day.

scott61 likes this.
  5. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    It’s hardly my precious car - it’s a car period. And yes I have driven mine a ton also and even turned a corner or two. Same as my 991 my E63s and yes obviously a GT car is very different. Perhaps I never found the paddles an issue as mine came with the Carbon Ones which are anything but short. I am still at a loss how turning a dial for temp with a button to hold the temp is clumsy. There are totally things to get on Ferrari here (they should actually go look at Porsche or MB for electronics).
    The one issue I totally agree on is the alternator / battery setup is beyond retarded.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Not everyone agrees the climate control functionality and performance is up to an acceptable standard. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/488-gtb-aircon-really-like-this.604110/

And the short paddles are usually CF too in case you weren't aware. Ferrari has an extended paddle cost option and Carbonio also do a set of extended as well.

My point remaining that Ferrari could have and should have provided a lot better in a car of such claimed brilliance, especially given the huge ticket.

7. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    Mine I don’t feel are too short and even tracking the car had no issues.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The Ferrari owners I drive with are aware of which paddle they have. Perhaps post up a pic and I will let you know what you have - short, long, factory option, Carbonio etc.

9. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    RaceMX-M3 likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    These are the long - look like Carbonio although the pic is a bit fuzzy so not 100% there. The stock paddles are much shorter.

11. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    Mine are from the factory new. Didn’t realize there are shorter ones only carbon or non carbon

12. gmo28

gmo28 Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    I have a battery starter but dont Ferrari advise against using one and possibly damaging the electronics?

Has anyone successfully used one for a 488 and had no issues?

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #39 Shadowfax, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Always carry one on board and yes have used it many many times w/o issue. The Ferrari tech advised me to get it and showed me how to use it. I even carry it now on the Pista along with the Allen key to unscrew the floor panel. So far so good.

gmo28 likes this.
  14. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I don't mind outdated dials for hvac but find the blower constantly changing speed very annoying and would think a simple voltage regulator would fix that problem? As for the paddles mine came with the crappy ones, I actually ordered myricambi extended ones while sitting at dealership doing the paperwork on car.

15. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Does anyone know the answers to the following two questions:
    -- Can the engine Stop&Start feature be set to stay off always? Manual says it should default to last selection before car is shut off, but it doesn’t.
    -- Why does radio always turn on after starting the engine? Is there a setting to stop this?
    Grazie!

16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Here are my paddles...I believe they are stock...not sure? I honestly do not think I'd want them longer on the bottom for me personally. They might get in the way on my knees/legs. I have never reached that low to grab a paddle to shift anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Those look like stock short? Mine came with stock cheapo metal ones and here is the myricambi. extended carbon fiber ones I put on
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Rari_Ryan

Rari_Ryan Rookie

Aug 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ryan Link
    Well here I am, looking through the Internet because my battery has died and my ctek charger is in the bonnet. I cannot for the life of me find the emergency string. Can someone please take a photo of where it is? The manual says under the dash to the left of the steering column...but I cannot find it. Someone, please :(