430 - Engine Oil Level On Dipstick with Engine Off | FerrariChat

430 Engine Oil Level On Dipstick with Engine Off

Discussion in '360/430' started by Extreme1, Jun 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I went to check the color and look of the engine oil on a white paper towel and the oil wasn’t showing on the dipstick. The engine was completely cool. Is this normal?

( I know to check the oil level with the engine running and warmed up)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Dry sump, if you see oil on the dipstick while the engine is off....you have bigger problems to deal with. Perfectly normal.

3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Thanks Marco. First time I’ve tried this and it made me nervous that I didn’t see ANY oil on the dipstick.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Check oil with engine warm and idling.

whatheheck and Marcoboxer like this.
  5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It’s a bit counterintuitive, but yes, it needs to be checked when running and the car fully warmed up. Oil expands when heated. DO NOT OVERFILL!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

whatheheck likes this.
  6. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I can vouch for not overfill....it’ll get you clouds of smoke and sleepless nights. Watch the oil pressure when starting if nervous,

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You need 80 to 90 oil temp and engine running when you dip the sump. Halfway between the marks is fine, avoid putting it higher.

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yes, completely normal. And this is the primary reason most new owners overfill their oil level. Either they have not gotten the chance to read the Owners Manual on how to properly check oil quantity level or they just assumed it's the same procedure as a regular car so they never look it up.

Follow the Ferrari OM manual procedure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ;)Your Owner's Manual should be on the nightstand for bedtime reading. More than once. A Ferrari is not a Nissan. It is a race car for the streets.

Penzinger likes this.
  10. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    This is the most asinine thing ever! When starting the car the first time, you must trust that there is oil in it! Presumably, even new cars coming over on the boat, you have to believe nothing could have possibly gone wrong and start it up without any verification what so ever.

just my opinion though.

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is how a dry sump works; as noted, it is closer to a race car that is street legal. Ferrari runs every car before shipping so it has been run. They put in a known amount of oil then adjust to correct. So yes, when a new car arrives you assume the oil didn't magically disappear. A failure that caused it to leak out would be obvious with all of the oil everywhere.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  12. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    There is an oil pressure gauge as well, keep an eye on the proper pressure and even if low, your not going to explode the block. Cheers!

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    True. BUT the user needs to know typical pressures. Idle is looks perilously low. Cold it spikes VERY high. You get reasonable reading warmed up and driving.

14. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I am a mechanical engineer with a passion for cars and I know what a dry sump is. There is someplace in the system that contains the oil, just not below the crank. It would be nice to verify that there is oil in the system. In F1 cars, it was typically in a tank between the engine and transmission and could be easily checked. If you found oil on the floor of a ship, it might not be obvious which car it came from...

It's asinine!

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Then you know that the oil resides in the reservoir when the engine is running. The sump is the lowest point in the system so when the engine stops, the oil drains back down into the sump. Not sure why you think the oil should defy physics and stay above the lowest point in a system but ok.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Correct sir- the MAK dry sump marine diesels i worked on had 5000 ltrs in the tank under the engine.