Interior lights | FerrariChat

Interior lights

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Terrence, Jun 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Hi

Any suggestions or experience in swapping the interior lights to white LED? Or any color? I would love to be able to just buy a kit that has all the right ones instead of trying to find all the specs of the existing bulbs in there.

Thanks.

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I like 4300K myself. Otherwise, it sort of looks like an operating room when you flip the lights on.

Be careful, some of those LED lights get a lot hotter than you might expect. I would recommend testing them on a work bench for 10 minutes and seeing how hot they get before you install them.

Ray

3. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I changed all of the bulbs on my former 360 Spider to Cool White LED's and what a difference. I even changed out the clock bulbs (T5's) to LED's and then I could finally read the thing. I have since purchased a 458 Spider and will also do the same. I was using LED's from companies I found on the Internet but will limited success. Their life expectancy was not good. Then I found Sylvania LED's at Wal-Mart of all places and loved them. My 360 Spider used 194's and 6418's. My 458 Frunk light looks like a 6418 but I need to double check that.

I could use some advice on the best way to remove my 458 Spiders License Plate bulbs. I have not been able to slide the covers to drop them down and do not want to damage them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    ShadowLAP likes this.
  5. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Thank you very much. Greatly appreciate the photos.

RayJohns likes this.
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    ShadowLAP likes this.
  7. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I guess I have to find out what size and voltage the OEM bulbs are for the dome lights, glove box light , footwell lights, trunk lights and license plate lights.

Any inputs on such info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Well, the cars all 12 volts, so that part is pretty easy :)

Usually the owners manual lists the bulb type and/or just search google / ebay and you should be able to find plenty of LED stuff.

Ray

9. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Got my bulbs replaced with LED's thanks to your photos. Much appreciated.

RayJohns likes this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My pleasure. Glad the photos helped out.

Ray

11. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I thought I would add to what was required to remove the license plate housings. This worked for me following Ray Johns advice. I was able to push both of my housing from Left to Right. This collapses the spring clip enough so that I could wiggle the Left side down away from the body. (note reinstall them by starting with the left and pushing up on the right side spring.

It took a bit of pressure but it worked. Initially I was not applying enough force to collapse the spring clip. Just take your time and slide the housing to the Right but with pressure. The housings are the same for both lights as shown in the photos earlier in this string. So you push both in the same direction to remove. I used Sylvania 194 Cool White. When first inserting the LED bulb, make sure that it lights before reinstalling the housing. If it does not light, remove the bulb and rotate it 180 degrees. My plate is now lit in a nice bright White. Looks classy. Thanks again to Ray for the tip and photo.

If you want to convert the Frunk, I installed Sylvania 6411 LED Cool White. I discovered that bulb #6418 is too short for my 458 Spider. That the LED really brightens up the compartment. Now on to the interior.

_JERRY_ and RayJohns like this.
  12. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    Can someone provide a detailed chart of all LED replaceable lights sizes in a 458?

I can't seem to find the definitive list anywhere.

13. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Did you get the error code from replacing the license plate LED bulbs?