430 - 2008 Scuderia $118,500 | FerrariChat

430 2008 Scuderia $118,500

Discussion in '360/430' started by efg2014, Jun 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
  2. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I’ll let you all know when it arrives! (first post!) It’s definitely not for the purists, it’s definitely had a rough life, it will definitely need a lot of love and tlc, but it’s also definitely a freaking 430 Scuderia and a bucket list car for me. And I didn’t have to liquidate my entire fleet of “fun” cars or risk a divorce petition to get it. I have zero expectation that it is going to be “nice” when I get it, but I guarantee it is going to be awesome when they pry it from my cold dead hands decades from now! And just for the record, this is not going to be a flip. I bought it precisely so I can drive the wheels off it and put as many guilt-free miles on it as possible. I’m also a sucker for yellow and cool project cars that I can have fun slowly bringing back to life. At the end of the day I’ve owned a lot of “pristine” cars from three gt3’s to my current gated gallardo, and I find I just don’t drive and enjoy them as much as those I have owned that are already a little rough around the edges (which is why I love my current track rat 996 Gt3 so much). Anyway, I realize that this car was a risk and that there were many better examples out there, but I’m excited to see what adventures await in this car. Wish me luck, be gentle, and say a prayer for me that I don’t burn through my $25k “just-in-case repair fund” within the first month of ownership! I look forward to contributing on this forum where I can and I’ll let you all know when it has 100k miles!

3. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
  4. bobby355

bobby355 Karting

May 21, 2009
    Fantastic purchase. You’ve got the right spirit. Good luck with the car!

5. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Congratulations Scott and your passion is contagious! What I sometimes forget is how small the f-care community is, as I didn't expect the purchaser of the car to respond! :)

6. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Scott welcome to the forum...I was watching this one...as long as basic maintenance was performed you should be in good shape,
    The engine and gearbox are close to bullit proof....
    We look forward to your updates.

7. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Thanks all! I’ll post when the car arrives and let you all know what it needs! The one good thing is that thanks to posts on here and elsewhere, it does appear that lots of expensive stuff has already been replaced (sometimes more than once!). I also do believe that these track rental cars are well-maintained while they are part of the fleet, so I’m hoping that this car was not an exception. As for the cosmetic stuff, well I’m all over that!

8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I know the rotors seemed to be aftermarket. Do the calipers look stock? The logo script seems off to me.

9. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

They are girodisc, which allows you to replace the disks fairly easily and economically (I have them on my gt3). The script is definitely not the same as there is no reference to ceramic. Likely refinished at some point as most Brembo (steel) brake calipers tend to discolor with heavy track use. One less thing to have to worry about so this is actually a plus given my intended use of the car. Can’t wait!

10. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I love cars with a story not a car that has sat its whole life or thinks it's a show car. Looking forward for this

11. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Congrats Scott. I just picked up a Scud two weeks ago and love it. Was on a drive with many high end cars today and everyone commented on the sounds and looks of the scud even through there were cars there worth 10X.

It’s one of the rare cars that all car guys respect. The fact that it makes you laugh like a 5 year old every time you shift under full acceleration is worth the price of admission alone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. flsupraguy

flsupraguy Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    I was the second highest bidder. I will live vicariously through Scott LOL. Hopefully I can have the pleasure of a scud in the next few years.

o31982 and C50 like this.
  13. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Congrats Scott! Sounds like the car went to the right owner!

14. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Thanks all for the well wishes! After some additional web sleuthing I have confirmed that this was in fact Petty Driving experience car. Tracked down a former employee and it appears to have left their charge with about 56k miles. So, ALOT of track miles but also ALOT of maintenance (as in weekly oil changes, quarterly tranny fluid flushes, etc....). So I’m hoping that bodes well for its future reliability, and the clutch reading shows 80% left, and compression and leak down numbers are in line. Only real concern at this point is why it has apparently chewed through transmissions (on its third one apparently). Hoping that is just a byproduct of its prior life and that it will prove reliable now that ever miles logged is not flat out flogging around a track! Also saw a prior post where a member reported the diff going caput during a test drive. Hopefully that is sorted now too! Wish me luck and if anyone has any additional info or intel I’m all ears!

15. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Get stripes back on it. :).

16. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Awesome! I would have snatched that up if I had seen it! I can't believe the prices you can get 430's for because of "high" miles HAHAHAHA!

17. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    Hope you drive it a bunch and become world’s first 100k mile Scud owner (if there is already one I haven't heard of it). Hard to beat these things for pure driving drama and fun.

18. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

That is my plan! I know I'm going to love it. I've never driven one but I love the feel of the regular 430, so I'm positive I'll be enamored of the scud, especially since my only real complaint with the 430 was that it was just a little too "civilized" (same reason I've never warmed up to a 991 gt3, gtr, 991 turbo, etc...). I love raw cars (its why I keep coming back to the 996 gt3 and love my 05 gated gallardo). Loud, rough, aprubt, and hardcore. I also fit in the 430 soooo much better than my gallardo (I'm 6'4"). It will be so much more comfortable. This will be fun (provided my marriage survives LOL!).

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  19. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    Congrats Scott! You’ll love it I’m sure. Great purchase price.

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    That’s why on this specimen, the gearbox has been replaced 4 times (discussed in the price guide thread).

The new owner hopefully was aware of this and the other colorful stories in its history. Huge kudos for taking on the project!

21. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That was a good buy.

22. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I guess I should have mentioned abuse is exempt from my statement..!
    I’ve read many common failures on this model complete gearbox is not one of them..
    I agree kudos to the new owner