355 AC Recharge - Novice question | FerrariChat

355 AC Recharge - Novice question

Discussion in '348/355' started by TrojanFan, Sep 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Its been hot as hell the last week or so in Southern California and my usual reasonably cold AC ('98 355 spider) is now only blowing slightly cold. I'm assuming that it may be in need of a recharge. Looking to do it myself with a can from Pep Boys. (have done it on other cars)

I looked through the posts and see that 134a is being used. Just wanted to confirm that 134a was the standard Ferrari issue for 1998 and not R12. Can someone confirm for me? Also, is the low pressure port in the front trunk, driver's side?

Thanks.

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    12 and 134 are different port sizes so you cnat mix them up

:)

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, to 134.
    Do not overfill it.

4. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    OK' Im big enough to admit to a bonehead move. My AC works fine. I inadvertently pressed the off button without noticing and was only running the fan. AC blows cold when actually turned on.

drbob101 and Mmckee like this.
  5. RSO1091

RSO1091 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2012
    Idyllwild, CA.
    Full Name:
    Henry S.
    Good of you to fess-up Peter, but we've all done it at one time or another. Bottom line is you're driving a cool car, inside and out...

Henry

6. leorosa

leorosa Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Leo
    134a its the refrigerant you need in your ride..

7. zarama

zarama Rookie

Feb 3, 2009
    Can someone tell me where to find the low-pressure pipe with the port so I can recharge mine?

Thanks

8. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    You need to remove the rear front trunk liner with the cabin air intake hole that covers the HVAC box. With the liner removed the low side port is visible protruding from the side of the box. It is very easy to crack the liner while removing it so be gentle as you pull it out.

Dan

9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I tell ya what I can't even get my AC to do anything, I haven't troubleshoot yet but I need to.

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Just replaced my ac comp. and dryer. Evac and refill and it’s nice and cold.

The seals on the comp. were leaking. I did buy the kit to reseal my old comp. but chose to buy a new one instead. Going to reseal the old one and sell it if anyone is interested. Cheap.