308 Carb Cleaning DIY tutorial? | FerrariChat

308 Carb Cleaning DIY tutorial?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mr308gtb, Jul 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Hi, has anyone posted a video of how to disassemble and clean the US 308 carbs... I think mine are gummed up. Car won't start. I read one post saying to pull the fuel line and pump fresh gas through to clear it out. Maybe that will help? But would really like to learn how to clean the carbs. Thanks

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Check youtube for Weber IDA service, at least I think that they are IDAs, Webers are fairly straightforward .

3. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
  4. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  5. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    They are DCNF's not IDA's. They're very straight forward to take off and clean, The real problem for someone not familiar is to get them adjusted correctly when finished. It's been over twenty years since I worked on these, but some of the nuts on the carbs bases are hard to reach. I used a HONDA carburetor wrench to get at the base nuts, and it was very simple. There's several small jets that are easy to get plugged

I used an exhaust gas analyzer and the built in sniffer ports to set these up. I did a LOT of these cars, and know they're really hard to tune by ear. Each barrel is individually adjustable, and you have a sniffer port for every cylinder. This was the most accurate way to set them up. For a hobby guy, with nothing to assist, four carbs is a challenging task. You also have to get them all synchronized.

A car not starting is easily blamed on the carbs, but the ignition system is more of a culprit than the carburetors/ If you just spray some starter fluid in the carbs and try starting it, if it does NOTHING, then I'd be looking for ignition problems.

6. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Thanks. Yes, I admit I am more than a bit intimidated by this.

The car fires up and runs for a few seconds with the starter fluid or gas into the carbs, but then it dies. The fuel pump is running. I can hear it.

The gas sat in the carbs for a while. It's my fault. I just hate to have to tow it. I've owned the car 20 years, since I was 23 years old and never once haven't been able to start it!!!

7. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    You need to confirm gas is actually reaching the carbs. The pump may "run" but not actually work or the filter may be clogged with debris and not allowing fuel to flow. Only so much that can go wrong :)