355 - In Need of Advice Removing A Body Panel | FerrariChat

355 In Need of Advice Removing A Body Panel

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mike Morrissey, Jul 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    I could use some advice from those experienced with removing a body panel on an F355. The panel is pictured in the attached diagram, Item #6, "Front Side Covering" located just above the bumper. The same part is used on a 348.

Mine was damaged during a major service and poorly repaired. I attempted to remove it, as it is attached with (6) screws, to find that it also has at least two weld spots near the bonnet hinges. It appears that other areas might be welded but wanted to see if others have had experience with removing this part.

Thank You!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's welded on.

3. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Yes, as I wrote, I find two weld spots near the bonnet hinges, just wondering if anyone knows if there are additional welds.

4. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I’ve removed 4 or 5 and they all had the 2 little tack welds you are seeing and that was it for welds. Just a quick touch with a cutoff wheel and they are free. I’ve had people argue with me that these welds don’t exist so who knows from car to car what they did. Most 348 and 355 I’ve worked on also had tack welds on the tops of the front fenders too. Apparently some cars just needed that extra tweak to hold things in place.

Qavion likes this.
  5. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Thank you, that’s good information, it helps a lot. I wasn’t sure how many more welds there might be, it seems very solid after the screws are removed. Just trying to be careful!

6. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    As I inspect further, along with the two front center tack welds mentioned earlier, there appears to be one near each headlight opening. (Inside outer area). Has anyone come across these? This is a ‘98 F355.

Attached Files: