Any experience with a SMART eMT F1 Relay ECU Upgrade? | FerrariChat

Any experience with a SMART eMT F1 Relay ECU Upgrade?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Auraraptor, Jul 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  2. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I should add: 575 production is biased to earlier years which mainly use 30amp fuses on the F1 pump motor....if that goes you have a chance to burn the out pump motor. Ferrari updated this starting with SN 52556. My car is 54704, so I have the updated fuse, but none of the later updates seen with 55769 and up.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You already have the 50 amp relay (not fuse) in your 575M. There were no further updates on that one and it was also updated on the 360, CS, and was used on F430s. The 50 amp relays are cheap and have not caused many problems on our V12s. The same relay is used in our engine compartments. If you are worried, swap out that F1 pump relay about every three years and line it up with changing the auxiliary belts.

If you wanted to try Stef's relay, I would get the basic version without all the bells and whistles (literally), which we do not really need.

Qavion, Auraraptor and flash32 like this.
  4. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have the smart relay in my 360. I noticed shifting got a little smoother. Worth the $400 just for that IMO.

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  6. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have it in mine, haven’t really noticed much difference

7. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Just purchased a replacement X266 relay for my earlier 30 amp relay for the 2002. It’s been at least five years. For those who aren’t aware of what this is about there is more on this thread below. The short of it is, replacing this relay especially in the earlier cars is cheap insurance against F1 pump failure, an expensive proposition. The DIY is pretty simple taking only a few minutes.
    Bill
    FL
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f1-30-amp-relay-replacement.341689/

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ken- The Smart Relay does not affect shifting unless you had a pump on its last legs and replaced that, too. It is a reliability upgrade with diagnostics if you buy the fancy version. Ask Stef and he will tell you the same thing.

9. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thank is all for the comments and links. This F1 stuff is very new to me

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Where was this when I had my Maserati CC. It would have been a life saver. That car went through relays like crazy.