Road trip planning | FerrariChat

Road trip planning

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Manish C, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Manish C

Manish C Rookie

Jun 24, 2020
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Manish Chopra
    Hi everyone,
    Planning a ~ 1000 mile trip up from NYC to Maine and back circuitously in my ‘15 FF. Haven’t done one before. Wondering 1/ if I may get some suggestions on how best to prepare the car for an issue free journey. Car recently serviced in May and has had a error free history for the most part. And 2/ where to get it fitted for a good radar detector and thoughts on traps etc. Thanks a bunch. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I have done a couple of road trips with my Lusso, including 5000km in western Europe 2 years ago. In my experience, pack a set of jumper cables, and make sure the luggage you are planning on carrying along fit nicely in the boot. For my trip, I had also spent quite some time finding only hotels that were Ferrari friendly (covered car parks, or at least private/closed at night if outside). Might not apply for a 1000 mile trip. Beside that, nothing really Ferrari specific... Check tire pressure, oil level, windshield washer... and Enjoy!

Napoli likes this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #3 italiafan, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    I have logged many thousands of miles on road trips in a Ferrari, in my case a 458 Spider. These are modern cars. If you have had a recent service I wouldn’t do anything more than double-check that the oil level is correct (Ferrari techs can make mistakes), tire pressures ok, visually check tires for any small nails/screws the best you can (I look with a good flashlight at all treads, move car a few feet and repeat until mostly complete). I also think it makes sense to bring a flat tire repair kit with you in case you need a simple plug rather than waiting hours for a flatbed truck and trip to dealership (I have fixed a nail on the road in minutes with little hassle). I put together my own kit: you can buy plugs at any auto store or hardware store, needle-nose vise grips, reaming tool, razor blade, superglue and tire gauge. If you don’t know how to do it just a watch a YouTube video on it, simple stuff. I’d also make sure the car’s compressor works and try it out so you feel comfortable with it (see if you use it without that can of fix-a-flat junk that often seems automatically attached to it, I would try to avoid using that goop unless it is a very last resort). I also think it is a good idea to have one of those little battery jumper kits, Interstate makes a good one.
    I recommend “Mad Maps” for finding nice roads, they have them for most states.
    I have a Uniden R7, an excellent radar detector.
    Have fun!

otakki and Napoli like this.
  4. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Great ideas so far. I would just add to bring along cleaning/detailing items and accessories as you never know what kind of crap will find its way onto the beast during a long trip.

italiafan likes this.
  5. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't forget your camera. :)

6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    #6 otakki, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Great tips! I'll definitely need to watch youtube videos on plug repair and get those supplies together before my next long trip.

I would suggested having AAA premier membership. If you do need a jump, tell them to send someone familiar with exotic cars.

If a tire is possibly repairable afterward, I'll avoid that fix-a-flat tire goop. Cleaning it off afterward is nearly impossible. I'll strongly suggest always having a manual floor pump in the trunk. One time, I had a slow leak and I pumped every 50 miles for the last 200 miles of my trip to make it home...less than 5 minutes each time before getting back on the road, and imagine all the time saved and hassles avoided by doing so.

italiafan likes this.
  7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I have watched a few youtube videos. Should be simple if I don't have to take off the wheel on the side of the road. I'll go get a set of those reaming and placement tools. Is superglue taking the place of rubber cement to be drizzled on the "Twizzlers"?

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Sorry, you are right, I misspoke...rubber cement (tube usually comes with kit).

9. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    @Manish C Maine has been ticketing out of state drivers who don't quarantine for two weeks. So f you stop for lunch or something have a plan for answers if a state trooper starts asking questions. Recent service in a modern Ferrari is no problem for a very enjoyable ride like you have planed.

10. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Car battery charger.