Strong fuel smell after filling up 2002 360 spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Strong fuel smell after filling up 2002 360 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by djlight, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Thought I would add on here to be helpful with my 2002 Ferrari 360 Spider. i replaced right side fuel pump in September 2019 after fuel smell appeared and was not gradual. One day no odor and next day noticed driving to Cars and coffee. Strong odor at idle at light too.
    Just this morning after having car out last night and no odor went for breakfast with social distanced Ferrari Club buddies and noticed a fuel odor on the way over. The boys and I did some forensics as the tank was 3/4 fuel and I wanted to make sure it wasn't some fuel sloshing about...
    Drove home and noticed the odor was bad at speed and not too bad at stop light or idle. Got home and noticed the garage at a fuel odor just like in September....
    Most likely it is the left hand pump (See test below). I assume this pump was replaced by former owner as I inspected it in September and the bolts had tiny scratches on them indicated the left side hatch had been off.....Deducing the only reason to open was replace the fuel pump.....Otherwise I would have done both in September although limited synergies in doing both....

So the nugget for the Ferrari Chat community maybe is......(The literal sniff test is): After running the 360 and shutting down put your nose into the intake on both the right and left sides behind the doors......If you notice odor in one side vs other it is the fuel pump on that side.....If odor comes from other areas it is possibly something else I would guess. In September the odor was distinct on the right side and today it was distinct on the left side.....Not reading the end of the book yet but would love input from the group on additonal troubleshooting.

Thanks!

2. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Follow-up: Replaced left side fuel pump which I was surprised by was the original. Fuel was leaking at top as it usually does Now have done both pumps in the past 8 months. New pumps are better so should be set. On start up you will notice low power on the side that you replaced the pump on until things boot up. Also cycle roof twice and then shut car down. On restart roof light will cooperate fully. 360 ran great on way home. On a safety protocol have a fire extinguisher and fan going when you are working on it for extra safety as gas fumes can be a issue. Hope this helps.

24000rpm likes this.
  3. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Also noted.....If Driver's side (Left) pump is original replacing the fuel float to upgraded one is good idea for more accurate readings. The original is round and the new one is oval. Nice upgrade and other threads have commented on this.