612 f1 trans shift problem | FerrariChat

612 f1 trans shift problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tiara4300, Oct 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I have a problem the f1 shifter after car is hot in manual or auto mode 3rd to 4 shift wont happen the trans will either go to 5th or neutral.If you shift down 4th gear comes on.This is happening every time thru the gears on the up shifts only.down shifts work normally.

Second problem tire monitor wont reset replaced 4 tires sensors 433mhz the same type that came out of wheels, reset button shows calibration in green then few seconds later yellow test drove car for 30 minutes still no reset.Thanks for the help

2. danmano

danmano Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Danny Manoukian
    I am having the same issue. It has happened twice over the last 2 months. The car wont stay in 3rd and especially 4th gear. This is after the car has been running for about 40+ miles (aka engine/Trans is hot) . My local shop is recommending to do a "re-learn" to solve the problem. Any chance anyone here is aware of this issue or better yet how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The system needs to be serviced every 3 years with a full fluid change, system bleed, check for leaks, and a self-test run. Took Ferrari a long time to figure that out. While this is being done by someone who knows what he is doing, he can check for problems and optimize PIS. If this does not fix your problems it will allow the tech to identify what the problem is, solenoid, sensor, etc.

Same guy can reset the TPMS system and see if all the sensors are working properly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JL350 likes this.
  4. danmano

danmano Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Danny Manoukian
    Thanks Taz!

I did do a full service on the Trans about 2 months ago. Interesting that the issue began shortly after the service.

I did switch rims to 599 challenge. Do you think the tpms may be some how causing the issue? Or did I not understand you correctly.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, I doubt the TPMS has anything to do with F1 issues.

Did you have a transmission service or an F1 service? Not the same thing.

6. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    This is generally a worn clutch, collapsing pressure plate or someone has set the PIS to tight resulting in the clutch to drag once it is hot. This results in the input shaft spinning when trying to up shift and it will default to neutral or a higher gear then requested. 3-4th will show symptoms first and generally under more casual driving.
    F137 MY05 PIS 7.6 plus or minus .5 new clutch position is typically 19.5‐20.6 and 100% worn at 5 mm above the new clutch position.
    F137 MY06‐Single Plate Clutch PIS 6.5 plus or minus .5 new clutch is typically 16.2‐17.2 and worn at 5 mm above new.
    F137 MY08 One To One (OTO) Dual Plate Clutch PIS 4.6‐4.9 New clutch 19.2‐19.8 worn at 25 mm. This is the same as 599 and 08 and newer 430 with sofast.