360 - 360 F1 how to launch from the line in a drag race | FerrariChat

360 360 F1 how to launch from the line in a drag race

Discussion in '360/430' started by dbdreams, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I know it's not a drag car but what is the best and quickest way to leave the line in a drag race should the need arise?

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Borrow a c8. :)

sparetireless, jcurry, JAM1 and 4 others like this.
  3. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I love Corvette as much as anybody and I know the C8 is faster but it is 20 years newer. I am new to the F1 style clutch system and just wanted to know how to launch the car from dead stop quickly, effectively and safely without frying the clutch.

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Tap your gas pedal lightly to speed up clutch grab.
    Once your clutch is fully engaged (you can feel it fully grabbed, about 2 - 3 seconds after initial gas pedal press) then you can have all the fun you want and not worry about clutch slip and premature clutch wear.

If you smell clutch you are slipping your clutch which will greatly reduce clutch life.

Hope that helps.

sparetireless, jag-oo-r and dbdreams like this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Pardon me db..... for the cheeky reply.

I don’t know that a drag race launch bodes well for clutch life.

Skidkid and dbdreams like this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    See if you can get him from a roll. Most exotics do the roll racing thing.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  7. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    That is kinda what I thought but here in the south drag racing is really popular and hard to get away from. 1/8 mile tracks are common here so I would like to see what it will do at least a few times all while not being too harsh on her.

8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’ve got an ls swapped m3 for my off the line thrills.

brookliner7 likes this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I took my previous car, a 2017 SL63, to a drag strip to give it a go. Ran it about 10 times down the track. After I was finished, I had a feeling of utter disappointment. All I did was torture the car. Line it up, wait for the light while holding brake and gas, then let go the brake. Hold pedal to the floor until race over. Totally unsatisfying. I raced all sorts of cars from a junky 1970's Ford pickup to a hopped up Corvette. No fun at all. Zero.

I would never under any circumstances take my Ferrari to a drag race. It's the absolute wrong car for such a task. Get a cheap Camaro or old Dodge, hop it up with cheap parts from Autozone and go burn it to death on the drag strip. That's the way to go.

I get a lot more enjoyment out of doing something simple, like following another exotic on twisty roads, or just driving by myself through the backcountry. Drag races are for people that have junky cars with big motors and bald tires. At least that's what I saw at the local strip.

So when someone gets next to you at a light and guns their engine, just look over and wave. Don't take the bait. You'll be torturing a work of art and piece of automotive history.

brogenville, GSF355, rudkinjc and 5 others like this.
  10. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I pretty much see it that way too but I would still love to see what it will do at least as a form of reference. We have those junkers too but there are a lot of late model Camaro, Mustangs & Corvettes, some stock, some modded.

Sent from my SM-T720 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have a Dodge (my High School car) that I dragrace. I really enjoy it. Have been "that guy" for 40 years. I have also taken multiple Porsche's, and other Ferrari's to the strip and enjoyed that too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

While I don't think the Ferrari F1 transaxle is meant for a load of jackrabbit starts like drag racing it can still do it. The drag racing surface is prepped to be extra sticky. You will get wheel-hop if you get too aggressive in a Ferrari. On the street not so much (the tires will just spin). So be wise of that. I can tell you that they do pretty well off the line if asked to do so. Simply jump on the throttle in 1st and let it do its thing. Zoom off you go.

EastMemphis and dbdreams like this.
  12. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I’m not even sure I would bother trying to drag race… Anybody. Because you’d probably lose to most things out there these days ha ha

brogenville, one4torque and jag-oo-r like this.
  13. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I spent some years drag racing..... quickly bored with it. But I understand wanting to dip your toe in.

Like others have said you're likely to do two things: 1) fry your clutch, 2) Lose.

That's just not what the car was made for, and I guarantee you, that video of the smoke coming out of the clutch while you're losing the race will be on YouTube before you get home.

Here's what you CAN win though: I heard that every 4th use of launch control wins you a new clutch! ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

14. rudkinjc

rudkinjc Rookie

Apr 27, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin II
    1st gear sucks... once you get it rolling switch to second and run up the RPMs and switch gears at 7500+.

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Caveat— if it is the day before you are going in for a new clutch... then by all means buy a track burger fries and a Pepsi and let her rip tater chip !

jag-oo-r likes this.
  16. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    In the 360 family, only the Stradale had launch control.
    So the rest of us have to do the following.

Select SPORT mode (otherwise it will bog down at the start, eliminating ANY wheel spin).
    Select 1st gear & press the brake (so it doesn't shift to neutral)
    Release the brake & mash the gas pedal to the floor
    Try this & see how aggressively it hooks up. Be fast on the paddles, you'll be shifting to 2 in a heartbeat

If it stumbles, due to traction ctr, turn off the ASR & try again.
    Be prepared for wheel spin. It may surprise you how effective the ASR is.

It wont smooth or pretty, but it will get the job done.

Michael B likes this.
  17. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh man... I keep reading "you will lose - You might lose..." So what?

I know the type. Since high school - they are everywhere. Sitting in their big playah car but afraid to lose to something else in fear of the ego hit. What is wrong with a quick race just to see how you do against the other guy? Do you HAVE TO win? Lord, its not just about the win ya know, its about the competition.

I have never in my life turned down a race. Win or lose I am a competitor and a real car guy. Is the other guy faster? I dunno! Lets find out.

Turkeys are the ones that don't ever try in fear of the loss. Good lord. So what... You lose to some faster car. Does that hurt so much?

The worst ones are the guys who pull out of the throttle when they see the competitor is winning, or they lose but tell their pals that they won. Those types are even worse than a turkey.

Which one are you? If neither ~ then run 'em. I don't want to think there is even one more turkey out there.

dbdreams and jag-oo-r like this.
  18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What rpm does an F1 car flash to at launch?

My gated 355 at the drag strip I hold rpm around 7000 and slip it out. Clutch hasn't fell out yet but certainly not good for it.

19. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    And then the teenaged idiot with his car full of friends loses control and kills the family in the minivan headon.

Racing on public streets is not only amazingly stupid, it's dangerous to you and your fellow citizens. Just wave and let them go. Don't be a fool. Besides, if you own a Ferrari, guess who they're going to come after with the inevitable lawsuits?

20. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Could try asking the guy who was doing hard launches and burnouts in his 360 that snapped his variator off the camshaft how that worked out for him.

one4torque likes this.
  21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You don’t treat a supermodel like a factory worker.

buy a mustang

EastMemphis likes this.
  22. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The drag race/launch control button is hidden behind the gun rack. ;)

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I was laughing at him on Facebook btw...

24. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Yeah, I guess I hear what you're saying; I'm always down for a go (in the proper location and at the proper time). But I think that you might be assigning the wrong motivations to our comments. At least for myself, the comment I gave wasn't necessarily that he shouldn't do it because he might lose, but rather, that it may not be worth it, and that he oughtta be aware that he'll also lose. If he's got ego on the line, that's up to him.

I had a Porsche pull alongside my wife and I last weekend, who waved like "shall we go?" and I chuckled and so did he. But a few miles later, the freeway cleared, so I gave him a 3-finger count-down and then hit it. He crushed me. I mean, that thing was SO WICKED FAST. And then we both chuckled and waved and went our separate ways. it was fun. now we're freeway pals.
    But had that been some guy's muscle-car, he'd have had that video on the internet with the heading "supercar driver gets owned".

To me, it makes much more sense to pick the battles. And for me, most of those should happen at the racetrack.

25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    many family sedans can beat the 360 in a straight line.... I would leave the drag racing to the muscle car, tuner car crowd.

EastMemphis likes this.